Gameday - Bengals vs. Chargers

theJ

46 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I like our odds to take this W as well. For a few reasons.

First, we have a west coast team traveling east on a restricted travel schedule. I think with the new covid rules in affect the team can’t land in Cincinnati until Saturday. Leaving one day for their bodies to adjust to the time change before playing the next day at “10am” PT. 

Second, believe it or not, I think we have an advantage in the trenches; even with the stark advantage of Bosa over Hart. Also, this game will say a lot about Taylor/Callahan’s scheme and playcalling. They’re going to need to coach around Bosa with quick passing, RPO’s, and play-action. 

Third, I just don’t think Tyrod Taylor is very good. He’s a fringe starter who has always underwhelmed me. I think Burrow, even as a rookie, moves the needle our way.

27-20 Bengals - Joe Burrow throws 1 TD and rushes for 1. Mixon will pound in the third. 

1pm PT, our game isn't until 4:05pm EST

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I like our odds to take this W as well. For a few reasons.

First, we have a west coast team traveling east on a restricted travel schedule. I think with the new covid rules in affect the team can’t land in Cincinnati until Saturday. Leaving one day for their bodies to adjust to the time change before playing the next day at “10am” PT. 

Second, believe it or not, I think we have an advantage in the trenches; even with the stark advantage of Bosa over Hart. Also, this game will say a lot about Taylor/Callahan’s scheme and playcalling. They’re going to need to coach around Bosa with quick passing, RPO’s, and play-action. 

Third, I just don’t think Tyrod Taylor is very good. He’s a fringe starter who has always underwhelmed me. I think Burrow, even as a rookie, moves the needle our way.

27-20 Bengals - Joe Burrow throws 1 TD and rushes for 1. Mixon will pound in the third. 

They are playing at "1:00 west coast time, or 4:00 eastern.  Not that it matters to your point, but I wouldn't want you to miss the game because you planned other things around it.

12 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I'll guess 24-14 Chargers. 

Burrow is still a rookie with no preseason games. LAC have talent in all their units without a glaring weakness. Bengals have a bad O-line and suspect secondary and LBs. Lynn is probably a better coach than Taylor as well.

tenor.gif?itemid=15457965

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Burrow is still a rookie with no preseason games.

Valid.

LAC have talent in all their units without a glaring weakness.

I’d say QB play and OL are two glaring weaknesses.

Lynn is probably a better coach than Taylor as well.

TBD. Lynn has been nothing special.

5 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Third, I just don’t think Tyrod Taylor is very good

Tyrod Taylor could have ran circles (literally) around this defense last year.  So we'll see how improved those LB's are.  

5 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

stark advantage of Bosa over Hart

Won't Bosa be lined up over Jonah?

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I'll guess 24-14 Chargers. 

Burrow is still a rookie with no preseason games. LAC have talent in all their units without a glaring weakness. Bengals have a bad O-line and suspect secondary and LBs. Lynn is probably a better coach than Taylor as well.

Chargers Oline, from what i've heard, is not great.

*haven't dove into tape myself (and wouldn't know what to look at if i did lol)

7 minutes ago, theJ said:

Tyrod Taylor could have ran circles (literally) around this defense last year.  So we'll see how improved those LB's are.  

Won't Bosa be lined up over Jonah?

The other side is Melvin Ingram, not exactly a slouch, but I believe Bosa plays on both sides throughout the game.

Yeah, the Chargers will be sure to match Bosa up vs Hart. Williams will get a workout from Ingram too.

Chargers O-line is nothing special but also better than Bengals O-line. Since they face the Bengals D-line, we'll see if they hold up or not. IMO both defensive lines are better than both O-lines but there hasn't been much live tackling in training camps.

• Like 1

Survivor pool I picked the Chargers because the one game last year I thought the Bengals would do me a solid and win they didn't. Is it petty? Probably. The Chargers aren't very good but the Bengals were the worst team in the NFL last year and didn't get a real off season to change things. 28-20 in a game that will be just horrible to watch. You're going to have mistakes all over the place and like a zillion false starts.

8 hours ago, Leoric said:

Survivor pool I picked the Chargers because the one game last year I thought the Bengals would do me a solid and win they didn't. Is it petty? Probably. The Chargers aren't very good but the Bengals were the worst team in the NFL last year and didn't get a real off season to change things. 28-20 in a game that will be just horrible to watch. You're going to have mistakes all over the place and like a zillion false starts.

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for your post!

9 hours ago, Leoric said:

salty for sure, but whatevs.  In case you missed it, and maybe you did, the Chargers have a new QB too, so it's not like they will be mistake free or something.  false starts in an empty home stadium would be something, tho

And for the record, after last year, most Bengals fans will be happy seeing 20+ points a game.