Gameday - Bengals vs. Chargers

theJ

21 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I wasn't a fan of his playcalling, either. I also don't like how much we're spelling Mixon with Gio. Why did we pay him all that money to not use him at all as a receiver?

Also, I don't think the bold his on Taylor as much as it is the front office. He's being paid to start.

Seriously.  Why didn't anyone convince Hart to opt out this year?  And Price looked better than XSF

10 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Also, I don't think the bold his on Taylor as much as it is the front office. He's being paid to start.

and i'm kind of gathering that Fred Johnson looked much worse in camp.  Really no other option there, at this point.

Though i do blame the FO for not prioritizing that position.

10 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Seriously.  Why didn't anyone convince Hart to opt out this year?  And Price looked better than XSF

That's interesting to hear.  What was XSF's injury?  Is he going to miss time?

I wouldn't mind seeing Price get one more shot at RG.

Just some notables from yesterday:

- I thought Burrow played pretty well considering the circumstances. Shortened offseason, no preseason, playing against a very good D in front of a bad offensive line.  It was literally his first game action of the season (no preseason, hasn’t been hit since LSU), so the rust was expected. He missed some egregious throws early (the deep ball over the middle to AJ was poor), but settled in and delivered mostly accurate, well-times throws. More than anything, you could tell he wanted to make a play every play, even when the best option was to just throw it away. Credit to him for that. We want that aggressive demeanor (opposite of Dalton), he just needs to iron out those kinks and harness that ability with more experience. Everything we saw at LSU was on display; the toughness, the poise, the competitiveness. It was great to see. The last drive was a thing of beauty, and it was a shame how it ended. Probably favourite aspect of today’s showing was probably the grit. The guy was taking a beating early and still stood tall in the pocket delivering throws with pressure in his face. It’s going to be a fun year watching this kid grow.

- I thought the defense played surprisingly well (especially without Geno). Jessie Bates showed great range on the back end and made a few solid tackles in the box.  Germaine Pratt and Josh Bynes stood out versus the run and flashed. WJIII held his receivers catchless (if i’m not mistaken).

- The emphasis on improving the run defense this offseason looks to have paid off so far. 

- Bobby Hart needs to go. He was dreadful. There is no excuse not to start Fred Johnson at this point. Nothing could be worse than that performance.

- The offensive line is going to be a real problem this year. The pass protection in the first half was poor, though it improved as the game went on. Run blocking was a bit better, I guess.

- Darius Philips struggled on the boundary all day. Losing Waynes might be a bigger issue than we think. 

- I didn’t like how much we spelled Mixon for Gio, considering the contract we just handed him. Mixon is a more than capable receiver, but the guy receives no targets. I don’t get it.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, theJ said:

and i'm kind of gathering that Fred Johnson looked much worse in camp.  Really no other option there, at this point.

I mean, I don’t think we have much to lose having a look for a few weeks. Hard to think he could be that much worse than Bobby.

57 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I mean, I don’t think we have much to lose having a look for a few weeks. Hard to think he could be that much worse than Bobby.

Without being in practice, i guess it's hard to say.  I think he should have been given a longer look in camp, but then again, what i heard was that he was beat like a drum over and over during camp against everyone.

At this point: Johnson or Hart - i don't really care.  They probably both suck.  I care more that they didn't try to address this over the offseason.

On the other hand - that may be their toughest test on the edge all year.  So it should get better.

47 minutes ago, theJ said:

lolol

This is something i used to do when i was 9.  If i messed up, i acted like i was hurt.  This is exactly where my first thought went when i heard he was "hurt".

I used to call my kids out as a coach who did it.  It was about the only thing I ever called them out publicly for.

46 minutes ago, theJ said:

Without being in practice, i guess it's hard to say.  I think he should have been given a longer look in camp, but then again, what i heard was that he was beat like a drum over and over during camp against everyone.

At this point: Johnson or Hart - i don't really care.  They probably both suck.  I care more that they didn't try to address this over the offseason.

On the other hand - that may be their toughest test on the edge all year.  So it should get better.

Third option with johnson.  Maybe he is just one of those guys who balls in game, but coasts in practice.  i get that coaches want to cure them of that ill, but I'm not sitting him if it means getting Burrow killed in a game.  They guy played well in the last few games last season, albeit against lesser competition.

5 hours ago, theJ said:

We know there is no chance of Hart improving. It's possible Johnson improves with more playing time. Hart doesn't belong in the league, let alone the starting lineup. Maybe Johnson is just as bad but that's a risk I'm willing to take. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

We know there is no chance of Hart improving. It's possible Johnson improves with more playing time. Hart doesn't belong in the league, let alone the starting lineup. Maybe Johnson is just as bad but that's a risk I'm willing to take. 

You make a good point.