Browns sign Kareem Hunt to 2 year extension

zelbell

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

its like freddie didnt call plays he thought were going to work, just going off plays.

It was the bruce arians offense. I bet you freddie prolly called plays that Bruce prolly would have liked. Didnt call plays for the situation or the circumstances. Called plays that Bruce prolly called in similar situations  

He just went with his gut, not the actual game plan.

You need high level QB play to win a super bowl.

However, teams like Philly have shown you can win running the ball and being tough. It’s why they keep making the playoffs despite being hammered with injuries.

New England has been more run heavy the past few years as well. Both teams also had super reliable TE’s.

It’s better to be a dominant passing team, but you can win being a dominant run team. You just need a QB that can make big time throws when needed.

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Let’s not act like he wasn’t completely boned by the coaching either. Like the stat that came out. He was the Highest graded QB in the nfl last year on opening drives. Freddie had no idea what to do once he was off the prepared script.

This and everybody running wrong routes except Landry. Mayfield has been incredibly accurate every stage he’s been a part of...except the derp derp Freddie years. Coincidence?

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah his accuracy has been pretty much a universally agreed upon strength for years. 

One thing they have been talking about is running routes the same each time so Baker knows where people are at. 

I know some analysts have stated that landry and OBJ do extra at the top of the route to get open, but it might not help the qb for timing and placement.

It is possible his receivers might have been putting the timing out. 

Imo one thing that is underrated is how machine like a good qb needs to be on the field, see the throw and make it without hesitation or move onto the next target. 

We have had a number of qbs over the year that hesitate and hitch their throws. Weeden, Kesler, and Baker in 2019.

7 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

This and everybody running wrong routes except Landry. Mayfield has been incredibly accurate every stage he’s been a part of...except the derp derp Freddie years. Coincidence?

Yeah. Highly accurate QBs don’t just become inaccurate and vice versa. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, buno67 said:

Yeah. Highly accurate QBs don’t just become inaccurate and vice versa. 

It's the trends that suck and should give pause.

In his last two years in college, his completion % was 70%+.

Predictably, at least by me iirc, it dropped to 63.8% in 2018 in the pros.

More disturbingly, his interception ratio per attempts, which was just over 1.8% at Oklahoma, rose to 2.9% in 2018 and 3.9% in 2019.

So, if you want to include INTs as completions, he has not become too inaccurate.

Otherwise, the numbers speak for themselves.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

More disturbingly, his interception ratio per attempts, which was just over 1.8% at Oklahoma, rose to 2.9% in 2018 and 3.9% in 2019.

So, if you want to include INTs as completions, he has not become too inaccurate.

Wanna crunch those numbers even more. 

in ‘18 after hue and Haley were fired. Baker went from 58% completions % to 69%. Kinda weird when those last 8weeks the offense was actually taylored to his skills. Following season, Freddie wanted nothing to do with what worked. Same with his rating. It went from a rating of 79.5 to 111. It’s weird, you put your QB into good situations they do well. That literally goes for every and any QB. Weird we also saw this that Baker was graded ahead by a decent amount as the best QB on opening drives. Where there was actually a plan for the offense last year but went to hel every game once Freddie got off script 

I would like to those INTs when you Eliminate the picks that were literally unlucky. He was the unluckiest QB last year and was graded as that. That he had a handful of picks that were not his fault. 

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, bruceb said:

We're comparing NFL rookie #s to college BIG12 "no defense conference" numbers for a trend line? Really?

63.8% completions and a 2.9% INT rate is AMAZING for a rookie QB who played as much as Baker and who wasn't operating in a pure dink/dunk offense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FGK said:

We're comparing NFL rookie #s to college BIG12 "no defense conference" numbers for a trend line? Really?

63.8% completions and a 2.9% INT rate is AMAZING for a rookie QB who played as much as Baker and who wasn't operating in a pure dink/dunk offense.

The accuracy reputation was based on his college stats

Not comparing anything...plotting data over time, with the most recent/relevant data at 59.4% and 3.9%%

Almost or worst in the league, iirc.

Or do we just give him a mulligan for 2019?

I want to win the game obviously. But to me the most important factor for our team’s future will be seeing what things look like in general on offense. Will we have a balanced offensive attack? How will the playcalling be? Will Mayfield be dropping back, double clutching, and forcing the ball? Or will he be his best version, a more relaxed and fundamental quarterback? Regardless of his progression or regression, we know that he is not going to be successful if we aren’t also running the ball and keeping the defense off balance. We just gave Kareem Hunt an extension. Nick Chubb is one of the best running backs in football. Use those guys. I am also interested in seeing how OBJ is involved early on this season and whether he is the most engaged version of himself, too. Winning games helps everybody’s morale. Unfortunately I don’t think I will be able to catch the game live this week, which sucks, but I am excited to see how it plays out.

• Like 1