Browns extend RB Kareem Hunt (2-yr, $13.75M)

AFlaccoSeagulls

11 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

im pretty surprised that Hunt is fine committing to a backup/committee role. would have thought he wanted to establish his high level play againd and leverage that into a nice 3 year deal or something on the market.

but hey, good for cleveland.

Yes and No.

They rolled the dice on him when others didn't, and stuck with him after that really odd/bad traffic stop last year.

Plus, he's from Toledo/Cleveland and it's been home for him for a long time (minus KC of course).

I think he's trying to parlay this into a bigger deal in 2 years. He gets the guaranteed decent money now with a shot at more while he's still in his prime. The 2 year deal makes sense on his end, and for the Browns, he's valuable from an insurance policy/weapon standpoint, with a bargain deal that's largely frontloaded in their current cap situation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Yes and No.

They rolled the dice on him when others didn't, and stuck with him after that really odd/bad traffic stop last year.

Plus, he's from Toledo/Cleveland and it's been home for him for a long time (minus KC of course).

I think he's trying to parlay this into a bigger deal in 2 years. He gets the guaranteed decent money now with a shot at more while he's still in his prime. The 2 year deal makes sense on his end, and for the Browns, he's valuable from an insurance policy/weapon standpoint, with a bargain deal that's largely frontloaded in their current cap situation.

And then the Browns get a 3rd/4th round compensatory if he gets signed elsewhere for bigger coin.  Smart move for Hunt to sign a short extension and continue to repair his image, as well as a smart move for the Browns to have a great shot to gain a nice compensatory pick if/when Hunt hits FA still in his prime.  Then there is the insurance for Chubb walking etc. etc.

A+

• Like 1

I'm actually kind of torn on this one. On the one hand, I definitely agree with people that that's a good deal for a back of his caliber. I don't think it's as much of a steal as some are suggesting (it's still actually top 10 RB money), but it's a good deal in terms of money versus quality for sure.

On the other hand, part of me still gets hung up on the idea of paying a backup RB almost $7M per year. Like, even as good as the player might be, he's still a #2 RB. And I can't help but feel that's going to make it too difficult for him to live up to that cost. He had something like 80 touches in 8 games last year, IIRC. I don't think I'd be okay with paying $6M - $7M to a RB for 10 touches per game. But it isn't like you really want to diminish Chubb's workload either, while he's as great and cheap as he is.

Ultimately, $7M per for a 1750 yard 10 TD back like he was in KC is a steal. But you'll more likely be paying that much for something closer to half that. like 850 yards and 5 TDs. And the cost versus value add gets trickier to calculate there, IMO.

I don't know. I don't think it's a bad deal. They have plenty of cap space to make this move. If it was a more cap tight team it would be a bigger issue. But I don't think it's as clearly good as some are making it out to be, either.

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

And then the Browns get a 3rd/4th round compensatory if he gets signed elsewhere for bigger coin.  Smart move for Hunt to sign a short extension and continue to repair his image, as well as a smart move for the Browns to have a great shot to gain a nice compensatory pick if/when Hunt hits FA still in his prime.  Then there is the insurance for Chubb walking etc. etc.

A+

Given how comp picks went last year, you're more likely to get a 5th round comp pick than a 3rd, for a guy like Hunt. He'd need to get like, Zeke Elliott money to net a 3rd. A 4th is more possible. Hard to project that far forward. But your low end 3rd round comp picks were for like $12M+ per year free agents, last year. 4th round comp picks went for between $9M and $13M, roughly. Splitting with Chubb, I doubt Hunt would get the kind of workload to command enough money for a really high comp pick.

Just, for the record.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

On the other hand, part of me still gets hung up on the idea of paying a backup RB almost $7M per year. Like, even as good as the player might be, he's still a #2 RB. And I can't help but feel that's going to make it too difficult for him to live up to that cost.

Agreed. Browns fans can want to act like its a huge steal if they want, but its really not.

Hunt will only live up to or exceed the contract in the event Chubb gets hurt or they take touches away from him which isn't optimal.

Still, it gives Cleveland a good 1-2 punch and in the event Chubb does get hurt they aren't going to miss him too much.

• Like 1