2021 - NFL Draft Prospects Thread

Texas_OutLaw7

1 minute ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I think there is a reasonable hope that, if LVE can stay healthy, he can be a really good LB still. But the injuries are a real concern, and that probably prevents you from picking up his 5th year option. So you are 1 year out from either letting him walk because he got hurt again, or having a hard decision about whether to pay him.

Your hope for Jaylon is misplaced, IMO. The regression was not stark. He hasn’t been a net positive since McVay exposed him in the 2018 playoffs.

And then you have Keanu Neal on a 1 year deal.

So 2022 is setting up to be a potential mess at LB. It would be wise to land someone with starting potential now. 

Just not in the 1st or 2nd rounds, preferably. 

2 minutes ago, D82 said:

I mean, every once in a while you can luck out and find a good player at any point in the draft. Kam Chancellor was a 5th round pick. So I certainly wouldn't avoid the position entirely if they didn't address it early...but my hope is they've learned from past mistakes and look to address it sooner rather than later. Especially since they don't have a legitimate starter opposite Wilson as of right now - Kazee is apparently going to miss some time possibly coming back from injury.

I’m not at all opposed to drafting a safety earlier. Identifying day 3 safeties with potential is not an argument against day 2 safeties.

Having said that, it’s a weak safety class. The mistake would be forcing safety over a better player just because you decided you needed one.

8 minutes ago, D82 said:

Just not in the 1st or 2nd rounds, preferably. 

The round 2 linebackers are a major bright spot of this draft. Some future pro bowlers, and an immediate replacements for Jaylon, can be had out of that group. I wouldn’t be mad about that at all.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

17 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I think there is a reasonable hope that, if LVE can stay healthy, he can be a really good LB still. But the injuries are a real concern, and that probably prevents you from picking up his 5th year option. So you are 1 year out from either letting him walk because he got hurt again, or having a hard decision about whether to pay him.

Your hope for Jaylon is misplaced, IMO. The regression was not stark. He hasn’t been a net positive since McVay exposed him in the 2018 playoffs.

And then you have Keanu Neal on a 1 year deal.

So 2022 is setting up to be a potential mess at LB. It would be wise to land someone with starting potential now. 

I suppose. I guess I look around the league and see the LB position as now the easiest to source talent. 

Not opposed to finding someone elite. Not convinced we already don't have someone elite. And even more so, I'm not sure it all matters given the current passing climate we are in. 

Just now, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I suppose. I guess I look around the league and see the LB position as now the easiest to source talent. 

Not opposed to finding someone elite. Not convinced we already don't have someone elite. And even more so, I'm not sure it all matters given the current passing climate we are in. 

Well, I don’t really disagree, with this. That’s why you should have pipeline in young, cheap players rather than paying big 2nd contracts.

22 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

The round 2 linebackers are a major bright spot of this draft. Some future pro bowlers, and an immediate replacements for Jaylon, can be had out of that group. I wouldn’t be mad about that at all.

A LB in the 2nd wouldn't be bad...just think we can find the talent in the later rounds. Now if LB is BPA, sure - go for it. 

I just view LB and RB as easily replaceable and not something I'd spend a 1st or 2nd round on unless it's a can't-miss prospect.

5 minutes ago, D82 said:

A LB in the 2nd wouldn't be bad...just think we can find the talent in the later rounds. Now if LB is BPA, sure - go for it. 

I just view LB and RB as easily replaceable and not something I'd spend a 1st or 2nd round on unless it's a can't-miss prospect.

Entirely agree about the 1st round, but not the 2nd. 2nd round picks are cheap resources, and the concentration of high quality players at those potions in round two is astounding.

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/article/rankings/2021-nfl-draft-cb-rankings 

Maybe I’m late to the party on this analyst, since I had never heard of him before Jeff Cavanaugh quote tweeted him, but he has put together some absolutely fantastic player and position group breakdowns.

I linked the CB breakdown, but he has them for every position. Highly recommended.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/article/rankings/2021-nfl-draft-cb-rankings 

Maybe I’m late to the party on this analyst, since I had never heard of him before Jeff Cavanaugh quote tweeted him, but he has put together some absolutely fantastic player and position group breakdowns.

I linked the CB breakdown, but he has them for every position. Highly recommended.

Nystrom is an excellent sports/draft follow on Twitter.

Edited by WizardHawk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

I don't put much weight into pro days usually but he just moves DIFFERENT.

Such a fluid athlete at his size. I hope we consider him on a trade down scenario.

You just can’t take this guy, IMO. The former medical retiree who admittedly is not very passionate about football.

As a decision-maker, I’d be more than content to be wrong on a guy like that. You aren’t going far in the long run by taking risks like this.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

You just can’t take this guy, IMO. The former medical retiree who admittedly is not very passionate about football.

As a decision-maker, I’d be more than content to be wrong on a guy like that. You aren’t going far in the long run by taking risks like this.

This is definitely something to consider but with guys like this I ask “do I see the lack of effort on tape?” 

I love his tape, I love his effort. But yeah it is something to consider because Gregory is the same type of pass rusher.