2021 - NFL Draft Prospects Thread

Texas_OutLaw7

1 hour ago, Revenant said:

Ummm, what if Dak doesn't agree about being the QB of the Cowboys going forward?

Is there a possibility that Jerry uses the tag and Dak just says nope never playing a down for the Cowboys again?

Daks 1 year tag # would be more expensive than Trevor Lawrences’ entire rookie contract, but it’s crazy to consider. Okay

Edited by DaBoys

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

Will Trevor be a better QB than Dak?

Certainly possible. He is the better prospect. But fortunately he doesn’t have to be. You see, Daks one year tag number will be more expensive than 5 years of Lawrence. So we won’t necessarily need him to be better. Trevor Lawrence is in his very early 20s. Dak is nearly 30. If TLaw is 3/4th of Dak as a rookie then we won with the salary difference. But many scouts project him to be much much better than Dak

Edited by DaBoys

2 hours ago, Revenant said:

Ummm, what if Dak doesn't agree about being the QB of the Cowboys going forward?

Is there a possibility that Jerry uses the tag and Dak just says nope never playing a down for the Cowboys again?

He would have to retire. We would continue to own his rights. 

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

Daks 1 year tag # would be more expensive than Trevor Lawrences’ entire rookie contract, but it’s crazy to consider. Okay

Thats true with pretty much every rookie vs a top 5-10 person at a key spot... 

10 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Certainly possible. He is the better prospect. But fortunately he doesn’t have to be. You see, Daks one year tag number will be more expensive than 5 years of Lawrence. So we won’t necessarily need him to be better. Trevor Lawrence is in his very early 20s. Dak is nearly 30. If TLaw is 3/4th of Dak as a rookie then we won with the salary difference. But many scouts project him to be much much better than Dak

There are two major flaws in your logic:

1. You assume that we will use that money wisely. Which we havent for quite a long time now. 

2. You are forgetting the opportunity cost. Sure, it would cost less at QB. But what about the savings you get if you draft the next Aaron Donald? Or Mack? Those are also ~$20m/year savings. 

3. Scouts are wrong the vast majority of the time. Tlaw has a much better chance of being a bust than ever reaching Daks level. Much less surpassing him. And thats not a knock on Trevor, he is incredible. Thats just history of 100 years of football. 

13 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

So this morning during his radio plug Jerry reiterated that Dak is their QB going forward and brushed off the notion of taking a QB high. I get it, they love Dak, but I hate seeing this put out there, smoke and mirrors aside.

all lies and cover up tbh.

There would be 0 positive for them in announcing their interest in a prospect(s) this early. 

Meanwhile our scouts have been at all these games

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

12 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

2. You are forgetting the opportunity cost. Sure, it would cost less at QB. But what about the savings you get if you draft the next Aaron Donald? Or Mack? Those are also ~$20m/year savings. 

For opportunity cost, it's not just one player. It's likely several big-time prospects. The draft haul you could command by trading away from Trevor Lawrence would be massive.

For Trevor Lawrence, I'm a little bit torn. The Jets aren't going to win 2 games, so it won't matter. But in that scenario, I would at least try to gauge what the trade market might be for Dak on the franchise tag. I don't think I'd be willing to draft Lawrence and then just let Dak walk free.

3 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

True but it would be a huge scouting mistake if they weren't interested in 2 generational talents at the QB position.

2? You're being kind. Lawrence is the only one regarded as a generational-type prospect. Fields isn't even the consensus #2 QB in the class. 

3 minutes ago, D82 said:

2? You're being kind. Lawrence is the only one regarded as a generational-type prospect. Fields isn't even the consensus #2 QB in the class. 

I think Fields can get into the conversation of #1 overall after this season is all said and done.

We'll find out the answer in the college football playoffs. It's looking like Ohio St. vs. Clemson at this point.

I do want to say although I'm talking about QBs alot, I hope we trade down and retool our secondary.

I'm just very entertained at the current moment with all the options we have at the top of this draft.

Surtain at CB & Cisco at S can be game changers if paired up with Diggs & Wilson.

Our CBs/Safeties can also play more aggressively if our weak links in our secondary just had better talent. 

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

15 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

He would have to retire. We would continue to own his rights.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we could tag him and he sits without a long term deal or just signs right before week 10. The next year if we tag him again, wouldn't the tag go even higher making using the tag prohibitive? Wouldn't we then have to let Dak walk Cousins style?

9 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

True but it would be a huge scouting mistake if they weren't interested in 2 generational talents at the QB position.

They should be “interested” in everyone. I think when it comes down to it, Dak Prescott is going to be the guy in 2021, and if we had an opportunity at Fields, we’ll trade it away for a bounty.