36. Jevon Holland, S Oregon

46.  Christian Barmore,  DT Alabama

56.  Chazz Surratt,  LB North Carolina

68.  Kyle Trask,  QB Florida

108. Walker Little,  OT Stanford

111. T.J. Carter,  CB Memphis

169. Marco Wilson,  CB Florida

194.  Ben Cleveland,  OG Georgia

I ended up picking up 2022 1st, 2nd, and 4th. 

If this draft happened I’d have to call my doctor. 
if it lasts more than 4 hours you’re supposed to.

edit

those first five picks are the chefs kiss

Edited by DaBoys

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

41.5" in the vertical jump and 11'3" in the broad jump. He also impressed in the 40-yard dash with a time of 4.41 seconds, which is plenty fast for a 6'1, 209 player,

Got a link for this? If he posts these numbers at the combine I'm all for Dallas taking him.

On 11/27/2020 at 8:17 PM, Matts4313 said:

:scratches head:

Hard disagree. CB is probably the top ~3-4 most important defensive player.

On defense, perhaps. But still behind a Good DE and DT for me easy. Then If there is a play-making Safety. CB=LB perhaps.

But I also wouldn't want to lock in on just defense draftin g that high up, even If Our needs there are Bigger.

A Franchise QB and O-lineman are more important as well.

On 11/28/2020 at 11:29 AM, TVScout said:

Everything?

"Surtain possesses elite length and a high football IQ, and teams will love the person as much as the player. He projects as a boundary corner who would excel in a more zone-heavy scheme instead of a team that predominantly runs man coverage................" 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/patrick-surtain-ii-nfl-draft-player-profile/

Farley has greater estimated foot speed which gives him the advantage in man:

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1027585&DraftYear=2022

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1022046&DraftYear=2021

Alright, I did my watching/digging on Caleb Farley. I'm a big fan. Between him and Surtain, Farley's the one that will actually remind you a little bit of Jalen Ramsey. He's very explosive and has really good instincts for someone who hasn't played the position very long... possibly his background as a QB serves him well in this area. He's certainly not as refined as Surtain, but that gives him room to grow. 

The concerns I had going in are still valid. Farley's decision to sit out this year must have been really easy for him... there was only downside in playing. Putting more on tape for him would have just provided more to pick apart. And another injury would have been the 3rd of his college career. There's probably not much more he could have shown that he didn't in 2019. But still, I don't love that such an inexperienced player is taking a year off. I certainly have concerns that he'll be ready as ready to go on week 1 as Surtain. There's a little bit of Shawne Merriman vs. DeMarcus Ware to me; one might be a really high level player on day 1, while the other might pass him and wind up in Canton (if he works hard and can stay healthy). The pre-draft process will be very important for his; does he have the work ethic and football IQ to reach his potential?

All to say, I still haven't found a defensive player that looks like a homerun in the top-5. Trading down still looks like priority #1 to me. But if a trade down is not possible, I'd trust Will McClay's preference between these two guys.

5 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Alright, I did my watching/digging on Caleb Farley. I'm a big fan. Between him and Surtain, Farley's the one that will actually remind you a little bit of Jalen Ramsey. He's very explosive and has really good instincts for someone who hasn't played the position very long... possibly his background as a QB serves him well in this area. He's certainly not as refined as Surtain, but that gives him room to grow. 

The concerns I had going in are still valid. Farley's decision to sit out this year must have been really easy for him... there was only downside in playing. Putting more on tape for him would have just provided more to pick apart. And another injury would have been the 3rd of his college career. There's probably not much more he could have shown that he didn't in 2019. But still, I don't love that such an inexperienced player is taking a year off. I certainly have concerns that he'll be ready as ready to go on week 1 as Surtain. There's a little bit of Shawne Merriman vs. DeMarcus Ware to me; one might be a really high level player on day 1, while the other might pass him and wind up in Canton (if he works hard and can stay healthy). The pre-draft process will be very important for his; does he have the work ethic and football IQ to reach his potential?

All to say, I still haven't found a defensive player that looks like a homerun in the top-5. Trading down still looks like priority #1 to me. But if a trade down is not possible, I'd trust Will McClay's preference between these two guys.

What about Parsons? Have you studied him yet? He also sat out but he seems to be the consensus top defender in the draft. People think he can play off ball or LOS/edge

Edited by DaBoys

31 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

What about Parsons? Have you studied him yet? He also sat out but he seems to be the consensus top defender in the draft. People think he can play off ball or LOS/edge

I have seen some of Parsons and I'm sure I will watch more at some point if the Cowboys are showing interest. But I am confident I will be anti-Parsons in the top-5. Positional value just does not match up for an off-ball linebacker in that area of the draft. 

I get the temptation to discuss Parsons as an edge. He's not an edge. He's an off-ball linebacker with the ability to rush the passer occasionally. As is Jaylon Smith. At the end of the day, that's a nice added benefit, but it doesn't fix the DL problems, so he has to be worth it at his primary responsibilities as an LB. In the top-5, he isn't. If he were a true chess piece like Isaiah Simmons, I might be a little more interested. But that's not him, IMO.

So I was doing a little "research" (perusing Wikipedia to combat Reddit homers) and came across some interesting data points.

The last time 3 QBs were drafted in the Top 5 was 1999. It did almost happen last year, so let's put that to the side. The last time a team traded into the Top 5 for the #3 QB in a single draft was... never.

I think anyone expecting Dallas to move back with a team aiming for Wilson/Lance is deluding themselves. You look at recent drafts and while there is an increasing QB premium, most teams tend to show more restraint than that- not to mention that these two specific players are playing incomplete seasons for non-Power 5 teams. And it's way more in Dallas' wheelhouse to take this year's Claiborne/Zeke and anoint him the second coming than it is to trade down in the first at this point, which is essentially a hedge against your ability to scout talent.

We should brace ourselves for Surtain/Parsons IMO.

10 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

So I was doing a little "research" (perusing Wikipedia to combat Reddit homers) and came across some interesting data points.

The last time 3 QBs were drafted in the Top 5 was 1999. It did almost happen last year, so let's put that to the side. The last time a team traded into the Top 5 for the #3 QB in a single draft was... never.

I think anyone expecting Dallas to move back with a team aiming for Wilson/Lance is deluding themselves. You look at recent drafts and while there is an increasing QB premium, most teams tend to show more restraint than that- not to mention that these two specific players are playing incomplete seasons for non-Power 5 teams. And it's way more in Dallas' wheelhouse to take this year's Claiborne/Zeke and anoint him the second coming than it is to trade down in the first at this point, which is essentially a hedge against your ability to scout talent.

We should brace ourselves for Surtain/Parsons IMO.

It’s certainly possible/probable. But every year is unique, and this draft class seems to be setting up differently than most. There are going to be quite a few teams sitting in the 6-13 range jostling for a QB. It would not be that surprising to me if the Bears or Broncos decided they really wanted Zach Wilson and gave Jerry a call.

3 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

It’s certainly possible/probable. But every year is unique, and this draft class seems to be setting up differently than most. There are going to be quite a few teams sitting in the 6-13 range jostling for a QB. It would not be that surprising to me if the Bears or Broncos decided they really wanted Zach Wilson and gave Jerry a call.

I was trying to run through the teams I thought were possible candidates and landed on those two with Carolina as a distant third. We're not doing this type of trade with a division rival (and I'm not sure any of them move on from their QBs just yet anyway), and everyone else seems either too far back (PIT, NO, most likely IND) or not really the type to go all-in on a rookie QB (NE, SF). NYJ and JAX are ahead of us, and I think it's pretty much it. It's a fairly exhaustive list but easy to whittle down.

I just look at what happened last year with the Giants, who had the 4th pick, and might as well have been begging for trade back offers (https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/17/2020-nfl-draft-new-york-giants-dave-gettleman-fourth-pick/) before they ended up taking an OT no better than the next three on the board, and fear that that's what in store for us. It's not that there won't be offers for the pick- it's that hyper-conservative franchises like New York and Dallas are kind of beholden to the Jimmy Johnson trade value chart and think there's some sort of institutional value to making a pick that high and declaring that player a stud.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

I was trying to run through the teams I thought were possible candidates and landed on those two with Carolina as a distant third. We're not doing this type of trade with a division rival (and I'm not sure any of them move on from their QBs just yet anyway), and everyone else seems either too far back (PIT, NO, most likely IND) or not really the type to go all-in on a rookie QB (NE, SF). NYJ and JAX are ahead of us, and I think it's pretty much it. It's a fairly exhaustive list but easy to whittle down.

I just look at what happened last year with the Giants, who had the 4th pick, and might as well have been begging for trade back offers (https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/17/2020-nfl-draft-new-york-giants-dave-gettleman-fourth-pick/) before they ended up taking an OT no better than the next three on the board, and fear that that's what in store for us. It's not that there won't be offers for the pick- it's that hyper-conservative franchises like New York and Dallas are kind of beholden to the Jimmy Johnson trade value chart and think there's some sort of institutional value to making a pick that high and declaring that player a stud.

SF very well may be in a position to trade up for a QB. I don't think Shanahan is beholden to Garoppolo and if he thinks Wilson, Trask or Lance can do better then I'd bet on San Francisco moving up. 

6 minutes ago, D82 said:

SF very well may be in a position to trade up for a QB. I don't think Shanahan is beholden to Garoppolo and if he thinks Wilson, Trask or Lance can do better then I'd bet on San Francisco moving up. 

I mean, it's possible. I think that's the one team that's actually finding real success with the "shuffle your QB every few years to save $" approach many on here are proponents of, but I digress.

My point is, if there's really gonna be 4-5 first round QBs a year going forward, as has been the recent trend, this doesn't seem to actually push the 3rd, 4th, 5th guys to the absolute top of the draft. I think teams would rather roll the dice and just stay put in case they end up taking Rosen or Haskins and he stinks, so they can reset immediately.

The biggest thing in Dallas’ favor is the number of teams that are likely/should looking for a QB. If the above draft order sticks, I believe you can make a case for 9-10 of the next 13 teams being on the market.

We’ll see how it shakes out, my hope is guys like Trask, Wilson, and Lance light it up during scouting process.

Edited by WizardHawk