2021 - NFL Draft Prospects Thread

Texas_OutLaw7

10 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

No surprise as Kyle Pitts has declared for draft. Like the issues he creates match up wise, but not really interested in seeing Dallas take him.

If Schultz hadn't played decently this year and Jarwin had never shown anything I'd be okay with Pitts in a trade down if no defensive players were there....but yeah, he's going to be a weapon for whichever team drafts him.

17 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

At the moment, I think I’m on the Caleb Farley bandwagon. Surtain is probably more likely to be a good player, but Farley more likely to be an All-Pro.

I don't follow the prospects like I used to so correct me if I'm wrong.  My understanding is Surtain is more polished now, but Farley has the bigger upside?

2 hours ago, Northland said:

I don't follow the prospects like I used to so correct me if I'm wrong.  My understanding is Surtain is more polished now, but Farley has the bigger upside?

That’s basically my premise, but I do think that Farley is more than just a workout warrior. He clearly has some natural instincts for the position and a nose for the ball. And he’s definitely an alpha, which our defense could use more of. I said this earlier, but he’s the CB in this draft that, if you squint, you can see some Jalen Ramsey. If you told me that a CB from this draft became one of the true elite players in the league, I’d be very confident that it’s Farley. But he still has a lot of polishing needed. 

On the flip side, if you told me Surtain was a bust, I’d be quite surprised. I expect he’ll be a good-to-very good player from the minute he enters the NFL. 

27 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Who?

No idea. But moderately confident the solution to our 2021 interior DL isn’t in the 2021 draft.

3 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

That’s basically my premise, but I do think that Farley is more than just a workout warrior. He clearly has some natural instincts for the position and a nose for the ball. And he’s definitely an alpha, which our defense could use more of. I said this earlier, but he’s the CB in this draft that, if you squint, you can see some Jalen Ramsey. If you told me that a CB from this draft became one of the true elite players in the league, I’d be very confident that it’s Farley. But he still has a lot of polishing needed. 

On the flip side, if you told me Surtain was a bust, I’d be quite surprised. I expect he’ll be a good-to-very good player from the minute he enters the NFL. 

No idea. But moderately confident the solution to our 2021 interior DL isn’t in the 2021 draft.

I actually think the bottom 1st/early second is a great spot for this years top DTs. Marvin Wilson DT FlSt, Christian Baremore DT Bama, Jaylon Tywman DT Pitt, Jay Tufele DT USC, and Tyler Shelvin 350lber from LSU...

Are any of them stars? Well they aren’t really projected to be right now, but all of them have something that lets them flirt with a late first round grade, and who knows how the combine will effect this. 

There is no Derrick Brown prospect just yet, but all the top DTs are projected right in our 2nd pick area. If there’s one we like I could see our second pick being DT.

Something like:

pick 8: Patrick Surtain II, CB, Bama

pick 40: Christian Baremore, DT, Bama

pick 72: Chazz Surratt, LB, UNC

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

I actually think the bottom 1st/early second is a great spot for this years top DTs. Marvin Wilson DT FlSt, Christian Baremore DT Bama, Jaylon Tywman DT Pitt, Jay Tufele DT USC, and Tyler Shelvin 350lber from LSU...

Are any of them stars? Well they aren’t really projected to be right now, but all of them have something that lets them flirt with a late first round grade, and who knows how the combine will effect this. 

There is no Derrick Brown prospect just yet, but all the top DTs are projected right in our 2nd pick area. If there’s one we like I could see our second pick being DT.

Something like:

pick 8: Patrick Surtain II, CB, Bama

pick 40: Christian Baremore, DT, Bama

pick 72: Chazz Surratt, LB, UNC

I'm probably too early on in the process to be making declarative statements. I'm not opposed to drafting good value at DT at any point in the draft. Just my early hunch from a supply/demand/opportunity/value standpoint, defensive tackle isn't going to work out for us early in the draft this year.

I will say, I am far more intrigued by a 1T/NT type at ~40 than I am a 3T.

2 hours ago, atran35 said:

I'll be looking at Johnathan Hankins from the Raiders. But I think they will re-sign him. 

The 1T/NT group doesn't appear to have many true studs, but quite a few very solid options. Hankins, DaQuan Jones, Lawrence Guy are set to hit the market. Mike Pennel also might be a consideration. We did our research on him last year but decided on Poe... but Pennel is a much better player than Poe at this point in their careers. Maybe they could even coax Snacks Harrison out of retirement. And they can probably land one pretty cheap if last season was any indication; the DT market for run stuffing DTs was really depressed.

The player I would definitely open up the checkbook for is Leonard Williams.