2021 - NFL Draft Prospects Thread

Texas_OutLaw7

On 1/6/2021 at 8:18 AM, WizardHawk said:

Moehrig - I admit I’m probably way higher on him than anyone else at the moment and #10 is probably a stretch at best tbh. That said, everything you want in a FS he has. His production in coverage is outstanding. 

I'm intrigued to see how they address FS this offseason. With what the new defensive staff wants out of the position, we clearly don't have what they need on the existing roster. There are some options in free agency. But Moehrig really fits what they are looking to do there. If they could land him with their 2nd pick (slight trade up, even), that would be a home run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I'm intrigued to see how they address FS this offseason. With what the new defensive staff wants out of the position, we clearly don't have what they need on the existing roster. There are some options in free agency. But Moehrig really fits what they are looking to do there. If they could land him with their 2nd pick (slight trade up, even), that would be a home run.

I'd hope they finally spend the resources to add legit talent to the FS and DT position.

3 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

What ideas do you like?

Trade down and grab Andre Cisco the safety from Syracuse.

Need to look further into DT prospects but I think with all the rule changes against defensive players and their physicality the league is shifting more to a secondary first - Dline second approach. 

Also noticed our sack and pressures were getting ramped up to become one of the better ones in the league at the end of the season this year as Donovan Wilson and Diggs were all over the field helping the Dline get coverage sacks. Anthony Brown surprisingly played well with their style also.

I believe Andre Cisco can be a Kam Chancellor role for us. We need size.

I’m high on Moehrig’s play but not his size.

1 hour ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

I believe Andre Cisco can be a Kam Chancellor role for us. We need size.

I’m high on Moehrig’s play but not his size

Believe we have our version of Kam is Donovan Wilson. He’s our starting SS for next few years

???

Cisco is listed at 6’ - 209

Moerhig 6’2 - 208

Edited by WizardHawk
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Believe we have our version of Kam is Donovan Wilson. He’s our starting SS for next few years

???

Cisco is listed at 6’ - 209

Moerhig 6’2 - 208

Honestly I view Wilson closer to ET if anything. 

and damn Cisco looked bigger on tape than Moerhig did. 

Moerhig is a top 10 prospect? I’m not sure cause Paris Ford or Cisco has much better tape. 

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

22 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Honestly I view Wilson closer to ET if anything. 

and damn Cisco looked bigger on tape than Moerhig did 

I love Donavan... but he is no Earl.

If we are going use a lot of Cover 3 moving forward, which it sounds like we will, we are going to need a true deep safety with a lot of range. Donavan Wilson's skillset is much better for the other safety spot in this defense. If you are going to draft a "Kam Chancellor type", he's going to relegate Wilson to the bench or to a spot of the defense where he'll get exposed. That seems like a sub-optimal use of resources to me, unless that safety prospect is truly special.

I've not watched, Cisco. I'm just strictly talking about the type of player that our defense could really use.

5 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

What ideas do you like?

DT
Christian Barmore
Daviyon Nixon 
Jaylen Twyman 
Jay Tufele
Tedarrell Slaton

S
Andre Cisco 
Jevon Holland 
Bubba Bolden 
Paris Ford 
Trevon Moehrig

23 minutes ago, D82 said:

DT
Christian Barmore
Daviyon Nixon 
Jaylen Twyman 
Jay Tufele
Tedarrell Slaton

S
Andre Cisco 
Jevon Holland 
Bubba Bolden 
Paris Ford 
Trevon Moehrig

Would you view spending a 2nd round pick on one of those DTs as “finally spending resources” at the position? We did draft Hill and Gallimore on day 2 in the last two years.

Am I the only one who doesn't think Cisco is good? Pass all the way on that one. I watched his tape and was less than impressed despite all his picks. He is very very very boom or bust. I rather have someone way more consistent.  Paris Ford is that way too.

Edited by ACO

It has always been my belief that you get better value drafting DL in the first, especially in a top 10 pick. I have no idea on who's who. But in my mind I would love to see the team draft a playmaking DT or a huge high quality LB in the top 10.  I've viewed the mock drafts and it seems this is not impossible. I then would like if we are not addressing safety in FA to draft safety in teh second. And from what I read in this thread I do agree who ever we get at safety, his primary role should be deep coverage. 

33 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Would you view spending a 2nd round pick on one of those DTs as “finally spending resources” at the position? We did draft Hill and Gallimore on day 2 in the last two years.

What I mean by that is investing a 1st round pick in the position. Sure, you can luck out and find good players later in the draft, we have done it several times. But kinda like the offensive line, when we started spending 1st round picks on the position...we hit pretty well on them. 

And before anyone mentions Poe and McCoy, the former wasn't exactly a great player and they wrote in an injury clause in McCoy's contract...so they were kinda expecting something to happen with him. Meanwhile, "Snacks" Harrison was available among some other more solid DT targets. 

2 hours ago, D82 said:

What I mean by that is investing a 1st round pick in the position. Sure, you can luck out and find good players later in the draft, we have done it several times. But kinda like the offensive line, when we started spending 1st round picks on the position...we hit pretty well on them. 

And before anyone mentions Poe and McCoy, the former wasn't exactly a great player and they wrote in an injury clause in McCoy's contract...so they were kinda expecting something to happen with him. Meanwhile, "Snacks" Harrison was available among some other more solid DT targets. 

How are they going to invest a 1st round pick in 2 positions this offseason?

Or does a 1st round pick count for DT but not safety? Or what level FA do they have to sign?

And then if they do all that, I take if you are pleased with Jaylon Smith and Anthony Brown as full time starters? Because that could be your opportunity cost. 

I am not in disagreement with you on the need to beef up the interior DL. And I think we definitely are going to need to figure something out at free safety. But demanding a first round pick on a DT seems both a bit myopic, and also potentially very suboptimal given where the talent seems to lie in this draft.

On 1/8/2021 at 12:52 PM, CT Cowboy Fan said:

Give Nixon a watch too, you’ll like what you see there

FWIW, I've been catching up on the draft show, and they called out Nixon as a character/maturity concern. They didn't go much more in depth than that. Obviously that doesn't sound like a deal-breaker, but just another data point to consider.

They also said similar things about Micah Parsons.