2021 - NFL Draft Prospects Thread

Texas_OutLaw7

Interesting mock draft where we trade down from 10 to 18 and add a 2nd round pick. We land:

CB Jaycee Horn   
FS Trevor Moehrig   
DT Daviyon Nixon   
OT Walker Little

That would be a pretty fantastic haul. Though Nick Bolton is sitting there for our second pick, I think I’d have a hard time passing on him. Would be through the moon to somehow land Horn, Moehrig, and Bolton come draft time.

I would have a hard time not picking Bolton too but Moering is my top S and we can't keep ignoring that need. So if he still on the board.... yes yes yes grab him.

The combine will be interesting. This entire scouting process will truly prove who knows their stuff because the evaluations will be all over the place. I feel bad for these player because a lot of it will be regency bias. Shall be interesting to see how it plays out.

23 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I’d try really hard to grab both, instead of Nixon.

I've done a draft where I was able to trade back and grab both of them. Honestly the draft will be all over the place since we won't have a normal combine and pro days will be scaled back. So I can see some unexpected drops because teams aren't as certain as others who were seen more recently. 

A player like Barmore drastically climbing the boards after is expected.

39 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Like I said, we may not be able to trade down to get him if he’s a guy we’re targeting.

He's played fewer than 750 college snaps, and only a fraction of those were played while he was performing at a really high level (the back half of 2020). That's a lot less experience than even most of the guys who opted out this offseason.

I think his athletic testing is going to be a big factor in where he gets selected. If he tests as a special athlete, then I think you could reasonably say you've seen enough on tape that you can justify almost any point in the draft. If he tests more like a "really good athlete" than a special one, then I think teams will be hesitant in the top 10-12.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

12 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

He's played fewer than 750 college snaps, and only a fraction of those were played while he was performing at a really high level (the back half of 2020). That's a lot less experience than even most of the guys who opted out this offseason.

I think his athletic testing is going to be a big factor in where he gets selected. If he tests as a special athlete, then I think you could reasonably say you've seen enough on tape that you can justify almost any point in the draft. If he tests more like a "really good athlete" than a special one, then I think teams will be hesitant in the top 10-12.

That’s why I originally pegged him as a 2nd round guy. But I think/fear the recent performances have elevated his status enough to where he’s now in that top 10-15 discussion. If he tests well, he may end up in the top 7-15 range.

Since we don’t have an FA thread, I still feel like this was relevant here:

https://theathletic.com/2330090/2021/01/18/dallas-cowboys-free-agent-signing-nfl/#click=https://t.co/zdC8QBMSKL

One point I’ll make on this article. A lot of people talk about the need to invest in FS. So something to consider when thinking through how we might do that...

There are 4 legit FSs hitting the market in Justin Simmons, Anthony Harris, Marcus Williams, and Marcus Maye. Plus, there’s another good (though always injured) ball hawk in Malik Hooker.

This draft also has a lot of centerfield-type prospects in the 2nd-3rd round range.

It’s a very advantageous time to need one of these guys. I think you’ll be able to land one more affordably in FA, or land one later in the draft, than you intuitively might expect.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Since we don’t have an FA thread, I still feel like this was relevant here:

https://theathletic.com/2330090/2021/01/18/dallas-cowboys-free-agent-signing-nfl/#click=https://t.co/zdC8QBMSKL

One point I’ll make on this article. A lot of people talk about the need to invest in FS. So something to consider when thinking through how we might do that...

There are 4 legit FSs hitting the market in Justin Simmons, Anthony Harris, Marcus Williams, and Marcus Maye. Plus, there’s another good (though always injured) ball hawk in Malik Hooker.

This draft also has a lot of centerfield-type prospects in the 2nd-3rd round range.

It’s a very advantageous time to need one of these guys. I think you’ll be able to land one more affordably in FA, or land one later in the draft, than you intuitively might expect.

FS in FA, DT in the draft. Perfect.

Just now, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I’ll take both in FA, honestly. Give me Dalvin Tomlinson and Marcus Maye.

The way this draft class is stacking up, I think we are far more likely to have value at CB and LB at our picks. 

I'm interested to see how things shake out, especially with no in person workouts now.

I’ve been spending some time trying to get a good understand of Dan Quinn’s plans on defense.

I have some thoughts. My first is that I’m pretty convinced if he could create his prototype players in a lab, he would create the same player for SS and WLB.

He asks them to do a lot of the same type of stuff, and he loves those hybrids. For example, it wouldn’t surprise me to see them take a guy like Hamsah Nasirildeen and play him at WLB with Donavan Wilson at SS. Or conversely, for them to take a guy like Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, and play him at SS, and move Wilson to FS or the bench (theoretically, though since that’s probably a waste of Wilson’s talent, they’d probably keep JOK at LB).

I’m also more convinced than ever that Jaylon will still be a liability, and $7.2M in cap savings is a lot more valuable than he his. Which makes an LB/SS hybrid a top-3 need this offseason in my book. Good thing there are quite a few names who make sense. JOK, Nick Bolton, Hamsah Nasirildeen, and Chazz Surratt are a good group of names to watch if you want to get familiar.