Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Texas_OutLaw7

2021 - NFL Draft Prospects Thread

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I'm not really eager to draft an OT, but that's mostly because I am hopeful Tyron still has quite a few years left. If that assumption is incorrect, LT doesn't get bumped down the list because of Brandon Knight.

I think if Smith retires, which is what I'd lean toward, then yeah...I wouldn't say OT isn't a need at all. Just not an area I'd prioritize high in the draft unless there's a prospect at the position that is BPA. Defense is where we need to actively try and improve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, D82 said:

I think if Smith retires, which is what I'd lean toward, then yeah...I wouldn't say OT isn't a need at all. Just not an area I'd prioritize high in the draft unless there's a prospect at the position that is BPA. Defense is where we need to actively try and improve. 

Agreed. Defense is where we need to spend a lot of capital.

However, I think we need to figure out what type of defense we want to be. 

Im all for BPA but are we a 3-4 team or a 4-3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, D82 said:

I think if Smith retires, which is what I'd lean toward, then yeah...I wouldn't say OT isn't a need at all. Just not an area I'd prioritize high in the draft unless there's a prospect at the position that is BPA. Defense is where we need to actively try and improve. 

I agree, insofar as I agree reaching for need with a top-10 pick is almost always foolish.

But I absolutely disagree that LT isn't a massive priority if Tyron retires. I'd personally rank it #1 in that scenario.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I agree, insofar as I agree reaching for need with a top-10 pick is almost always foolish.

But I absolutely disagree that LT isn't a massive priority if Tyron retires. I'd personally rank it #1 in that scenario.

I'd have it after DE and DT. Maybe after S/CB as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, D82 said:

I'd have it after DE and DT. Maybe after S/CB as well. 

Agree to disagree. I'd rather not give our Ferrari a flat tire just so I can add a spoiler to my Kia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Agree to disagree. I'd rather not give our Ferrari a flat tire just so I can add a spoiler to my Kia.

That's fair. I just look at how the offense has performed so far with what could be our line next year (minus Steele) and then I look at our defense and view that as a more pressing area of concern. Now if you tell me Smith retires and Collins isn't going to be able to go...then I'd probably bump OT up the list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you guys do if Dalton balls completely out of control? Honestly Dalton is a starter in this league and was in such a terrible situation in Cincy. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

What do you guys do if Dalton balls completely out of control? Honestly Dalton is a starter in this league and was in such a terrible situation in Cincy. 
 

Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

If this year is lost and we get a top 10 pick and draft a CB, I gonna lose it.. which means of course that will happen

add Kyle Pitts or Jamarr Chase. **** it. team 60 burger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, romo2bryant said:

add Kyle Pitts or Jamarr Chase. **** it. team 60 burger

In the right scenario, I could be convinced on Pitts (e.g. we are picking ~12, blue chip defenders are off the board, we get some nice development from some of the young defenders on our roster over the next 11 games, and Tyron Smith recovery goes well).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:
13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

What do you guys do if Dalton balls completely out of control? Honestly Dalton is a starter in this league and was in such a terrible situation in Cincy. 
 

Lol

I think Dalton is good enough to win some games. Its not like he is horrific. Hell, he honestly might be the best starting QB in the NFCE right now with how trash Wentz has been playing. 

But lets be real. Dalton was not good except for like 3 throws. 

Edited by Matts4313

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I think Dalton is good enough to win some games. Its not like he is horrific. Hell, he honestly might be the best starting QB in the NFCE right now with how trash Wentz has been playing. 

But lets be real. Dalton was not good except for like 3 throws. 

Andy Dalton is one of the top-32 quarterbacks in the NFL.

But he is not going to "ball completely out of control".

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

If this year is lost and we get a top 10 pick and draft a CB, I gonna lose it.. which means of course that will happen

It will change by the time draft rolls around, but I don’t get the impression this is a particularly strong CB class atm. Bama’s Patrick Surtain and VA Tech’s Farley I believe are a good bet to go top 15ish. Both would be upgrades for our secondary, so not sure I see any issues with snagging either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to draft the defensive player who can have the most dynamic effect on the game.  I am reasonably happy with our edge which will get better if Gregory plays and can be available next year.   Loosing McKay hurt our DL and would love a Donald clone but am unsure we can find even close to that in the draft unless we are top 3-4 and drafting one just because that is a need is not the way to draft long term for your team.  I don't see us going to 3-4 unless we suddenly find a solid nose tackle.

Normally you can get the same value of safety or OL drafting in the middle of the second as you would middle first... but by the time you get to the third then no...   so if you have two major areas of need.. a difference maker at safety and a starting OT.. you probably are going to have to bite the bullet and pick one of those 1st round cause I don't think you can find one in third.  Or  sign a free agent that covers a starting tackle. I would not be interested in FA safety, CB type.  Teams don't let difference makers go in that position.  one key aspect is I hope they don't plan on Smith.. but are they planning on getting Collins and and Erving back then that makes a huge difference in how you draft.   I may push the OL to 3rd then and get a solid DL player first as in general there is a huge drop off of quality of DL player from 1st to 2nd.  We also need to consider that we need drastic improvement in the depth of our LB core. I don't see Lee coming back next year and we can not count on LVE for a full season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...