2021 - NFL Draft Prospects Thread

Texas_OutLaw7

1 hour ago, The_Slamman said:

Would any of you advocating drafting pitts in the top 10 kindly illuminate the rest of us where it has EVER worked out drafting a te in the top 10?  What top 10 drafted te has EVER lived up to the expectation?

No one is suggesting it should be the first choice. But Pitts is a generational talent. Should a valuable trade offer come across the table, great. But I'm not passing on Pitts for some inferior talent because of the position. 

5 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Would any of you advocating drafting pitts in the top 10 kindly illuminate the rest of us where it has EVER worked out drafting a te in the top 10?  What top 10 drafted te has EVER lived up to the expectation?

I would say I’m not excited about drafting a TE, and the ones drafted high haven’t tended to become dominant NFL performers.

But I would also say that I think Pitts is special, and is likely to be a transcendent pass catching threat in the NFL, so 🤷🏻‍♂️. I don’t think there is any scenario where he’d be my choice at #10 given the way I see some of the other prospect likely to be available, but I also will be very excited to watch him if the Cowboys disagree.

On 2/12/2021 at 4:27 PM, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

It's not taking a TE. It's taking an elite weapon that's a mismatch for defenses in Florida's very own Pitts. Go Gators. 

Other than Trevor Lawrence, Pitts is the only offensive skill position player whom I’d be elated to draft. I know that we need defense, but he’d likely be BPA and has the ability to be an elite talent in the NFL.

21 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

To be fair, there haven’t been many TEs drafted in the top 10. The top guys are typically in that 10-15 range, but your point is also fair.

Edited by plan9misfit

While I understand the point about drafting a once in a decade player like getting the next Kelcee. My issue is just how much help will a player like that do for our team based on what we already have.  Right now WE don't really need an all world TE. With all the play makers such as Coop, Lamp, Gallup, Zeke and Pollard the opposing D is already spread thin covering them. Jarvin (IMO as good as any second level TE in football) is more then capable of making game changing plays for us. I would say getting an all pro level OL- DL- S or CB would have much longer lasting positive effect on this team then adding a top level TE.  Also with the roster we have most likely he would be spending more time blocking then going out in routes. 

9 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

What’s your plan opposite Diggs? 

I’ll play for vet minimum n we’ll just have to pray we score 50 a game. 

but no seriously, I don’t have a name per say. But I’m thinking we could sign a decent vet who’s getting squeezed by the covid market to a one year deal this year. That allows us to check that box for this year, and allows the player to get back to a normal market the following year. Probably only possible if Dak signs an extension tho.

1 hour ago, CT Cowboy Fan said:

I’ll play for vet minimum n we’ll just have to pray we score 50 a game. 

but no seriously, I don’t have a name per say. But I’m thinking we could sign a decent vet who’s getting squeezed by the covid market to a one year deal this year. That allows us to check that box for this year, and allows the player to get back to a normal market the following year. Probably only possible if Dak signs an extension tho.

Safeties tend to be squeezed in the free agent market much more often than quality corners. If we go a different direction at #10, I think I'd prefer a corner to Grant at #44.

The guys I have really liked so far for Dallas at 10.

1. Patrick Surtain Jr., CB, Alabama - He would become CB1

2. Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech - I think there is room to work with him, would start at CB2, but would be a battle for who is the better CB in a couple years.

3. Alijah Vera-Tucker, OL, USC - Would play guard right away and Dallas would have the best interior OL in the NFL, but he can play any position on the OL and I believe is the best blocker in this draft.

4. Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida - Absolute FREAK. Best player in this draft.

I haven't watched too many defensive players so far, but I hear great things about Jeramiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame

Edited by JWingate

I tried a couple of mock drafts the draft network and pro football network.  They are rather hard and did not go that well for me, especially after the 2nd round.  One of the things I found was NONE of the LB's that are talked about on this site or that I am interested in show up as potential picks unless you stretch you 1st round pick. DT are also hard to figure and I really need to bone up on who's who.  Not having the comp picks hurt as well.

After doing this, I did five I think I am going to be happy if 

1st we get Either Farley, Surtain or Slater  -  Sewell seems very unlikely and Pitts is possible though. 

2nd we get Grant or Moehig

3rd no idea I ended up picking a unknown DT or OL.. though i did pick CB Campbell one time when I forced to pic Slater in the first. 

For the record LB Parson's was available every time at 10 and because everyone is against that I avoided it though would prefer Parson's to Slater.

the one I did I liked the best was...

Surtain CB

Grant S

Surratt LB 

Ealy OT

Ogundeji DT

Wilson DT

Surtain-Grant-Brown OT-Shelvin DT-Rice LB - Ogundeji DT seemed okay

i did have one with

Farley-Moehrig-Tuipulotu OL-Shelvin DT-Joseph cb-Washington S Anderson OL

2 hours ago, quiller said:

I tried a couple of mock drafts the draft network and pro football network.  They are rather hard and did not go that well for me, especially after the 2nd round.  One of the things I found was NONE of the LB's that are talked about on this site or that I am interested in show up as potential picks unless you stretch you 1st round pick. DT are also hard to figure and I really need to bone up on who's who.  Not having the comp picks hurt as well.

After doing this, I did five I think I am going to be happy if 

1st we get Either Farley, Surtain or Slater  -  Sewell seems very unlikely and Pitts is possible though. 

2nd we get Grant or Moehig

3rd no idea I ended up picking a unknown DT or OL.. though i did pick CB Campbell one time when I forced to pic Slater in the first. 

For the record LB Parson's was available every time at 10 and because everyone is against that I avoided it though would prefer Parson's to Slater.

the one I did I liked the best was...

Surtain CB

Grant S

Surratt LB 

Ealy OT

Ogundeji DT

Wilson DT

Surtain-Grant-Brown OT-Shelvin DT-Rice LB - Ogundeji DT seemed okay

i did have one with

Farley-Moehrig-Tuipulotu OL-Shelvin DT-Joseph cb-Washington S Anderson OL

To answer your concern about LB, I really like Jabril Cox in round 2 or Tony Fields II in the 3rd. Both of those guys can be early NFL starters at WLB for us. I still need to look at Jamin Davis, too, who has been getting a lot of hype, and has me intrigued. A sleeper option for you is Hamsah Nasirildeen, who could fit really well in Quinn’s scheme at linebacker, if he eats the biscuit. 

I’m really not a big Chazz Surratt fan, though. Too inexperienced, which definitely shows up, and he’s a pretty old prospect. Plus, he really didn’t show out during Senior Bowl week.

re: Defensive Tackle, I think they need to address it in FA. The only guys I’ve found who seems like good potential matches are Barmore in a trade down and Alim McNiell if he last to #75

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

Thanks ...     I only had Barmore and McNeill on my radar.   I also have thought through and IMO we need  a huge upgrade on getting a LB who can roam the middle of the field better then LVE. I also feel yes we probably will dump Smith mostly for salary reasons to help resign Dak in which case we need TWO LB's. I will keep a eye out on the names you listed.

I also am not holding my breath that this front office will do anything of true value in bringing in FA help before the draft.

That is why is some ways getting Surtain/Farley  - Moehrig/Grant and I hope McNiell even if we have to trade down from 75. Then maybe Fields in the 4th after using some of our COMP picks to trade down.    From what I've read on this and people views I think this would be my ultimate best draft.   I've also heard good things about LB Rice, getting him in the 5th might be a good option if we don't get a better option earlier or even doubling up on LB's. 

Either way I do want to add another OL in this draft by the 6th round as well. If Little of Stanford falls I say he is a good option in rd 7 as a flyer otherwise I guess Curham of Cal is my next late round choice followed by  Christensen of BYU or Lucas at WSU.   

In some ways if we get a quality CB, S and DT in the first 3 pics and 2 mid round LB's with the comp pics. Then I am all in on taking best available OT with our next two pics. 

Edited by quiller

39 minutes ago, quiller said:

In some ways if we get a quality CB, S and DT in the first 3 pics and 2 mid round LB's with the comp pics. Then I am all in on taking best available OT with our next two pics. 

You basically can’t go into next season without adding new starters at CB, S, and DT. Possibly OT and LB, too. We’ll need to see how things shake out in FA to give us a clearer picture of the draft.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up for a short-term replacement on LVE, though. That’s the one part of your post that I think is a bit unrealistic. 

• Like 1

I just want to know why SI thinks we need TWO edge rushers and ONE RB in our first 6 PICKS.....  crazy.

and YES I want to see us draft regular contributors in the draft at S, CB, DT, and LB. I would also like depth at OL.  Mix our first 6 picks in these positions.