2021 - NFL Draft Prospects Thread

Texas_OutLaw7

12 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

He's such a great single high safety

He played poorly both as a single high FS and as a SS lined up at the LOS this season. He was continually out of position, flat footed, and missed tackles due to poor angles. Personally, I think it was a result of him hiding his injury coupled with the insanity of Covid and the lack of real practice, because he played so exceptionally well in 2018 and 2019. If we were able to land him in the 3rd round, I’d do backflips.

21 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

PFN Mock Draft Simulator gave Dallas:

10. Patrick Surtain II CB Alabama

44. Richie Grant S UCF

75. Dylan Moses LB Alabama

99. Tyler Shelvin DT LSU

I would be ecstatic with this draft. Surtain was chosen over Pitts at #10.

I like that draft a lot. I’d be happy with Grant, Cisco, or Holland in the 2nd based on the way that draft shook out. 

1 hour ago, Tony7188 said:

PFN Mock Draft Simulator gave Dallas:

10. Patrick Surtain II CB Alabama

44. Richie Grant S UCF

75. Dylan Moses LB Alabama

99. Tyler Shelvin DT LSU

I would be ecstatic with this draft. Surtain was chosen over Pitts at #10.

Surtain and Grant would certainly be a rock solid triple in the first two rounds, and would make the draft a success no matter what came after.

That said, I'm not as big a fan of Moses and Shelvin.

If Will McClay loves Moses, then fine, I'll get stoked for the pick. His athleticism pops off the screen. But if you complain about how NFL offensive coordinators pick on Jaylon in coverage, you are likely to feel the same way about Moses once he comes into the league. Plus, his knee has been slow to heal, and he wanted to quit football because of it. There are a lot of LBs with a full toolbelt that will go in that range who I would prefer. Jabril Cox, Jamin Davis, Baron Browning, Pete Werner, Tony Fields, etc. have me more intrigued.

Shelvin, I just think is a low upside guy with too much "bad Dontari Poe" to his game. He's an absolute load at times, but too regularly you are like, "how did a guy that big get washed so far out of the play?" because he often has no control over his own momentum. McNiell, Wilson, and the USC duo, would all be worth the pick, but if they are gone, I think I'd opt for a different position than Shelvin.

My Mock (Obviously some trades)

10. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah S/LB, Notre Dame
62. Tyson Campbell CB, Georgia
68. Payton Turner DL, Houston
99. Aaron Banks IOL, Notre Dame
135. Garret Wallow LB, TCU
139. Darius Stills IDL, West Virginia
155. Darrick Forrest S, Cincinnati
179. Chuba Hubbard RB, Oklahoma State
194. Rico Bussey Jr. WR, Hawaii
245. Adrian Ealy OT, Oklahoma
250. Ian Book QB, Notre Dame

33 minutes ago, JWingate said:

My Mock (Obviously some trades)

10. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah S/LB, Notre Dame
62. Tyson Campbell CB, Georgia
68. Payton Turner DL, Houston
99. Aaron Banks IOL, Notre Dame
135. Garret Wallow LB, TCU
139. Darius Stills IDL, West Virginia
155. Darrick Forrest S, Cincinnati
179. Chuba Hubbard RB, Oklahoma State
194. Rico Bussey Jr. WR, Hawaii
245. Adrian Ealy OT, Oklahoma
250. Ian Book QB, Notre Dame

I haven't spent any time on the guys you picked after the first two, but I am completely on board with a draft that goes JOK followed by Newsome/Robinson/Campbell/Stokes/Melifonwu/Samuel/Whoever you like best at CB.

43 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I haven't spent any time on the guys you picked after the first two, but I am completely on board with a draft that goes JOK followed by Newsome/Robinson/Campbell/Stokes/Melifonwu/Samuel/Whoever you like best at CB.

JOK just seems to be the perfect fit for what this defense needs. I think he could play the Kam Chancellor role as the box S, but depending on the defense you are in can play the LBer role as well as the box safety and closest LBer seems to share coverage responsibilities and trade off a lot.

Being a Georgia fan I have watch Campbell since he was a true freshman starting for this team. I think he struggles when put in press man, but excels in zone coverage when he can watch the QB and break. 

Payton Turner is a versatile player especially for this defense. I’d imagine he would play the Michael Bennett role because he can play edge, 5 tech and 3 tech. He can also stand up in a pinch and rush off the edge as a linebacker.

Aaron Banks played next to Liam Eichenberg and during one game slid over to the LT position and played it better than him. I think with a little work he could be a versatile offensive lineman on this team, but with potential to play one of the tackle spots as well. 

Garrett Wallow is a previous safety who has the coverage skills to be an asset for this defense. We might need to draft as many LBers as possible for this defense.

Darius Sills is an undersized DL who could probably flex between 5 tech and 3 tech.

Chuba Hubbard is a powerful back who would be a great change of pace back, but eventually could see a RBBC role if Dallas decides to move on from Zeke sooner than later. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JWingate said:

JOK just seems to be the perfect fit for what this defense needs. I think he could play the Kam Chancellor role as the box S, but depending on the defense you are in can play the LBer role as well as the box safety and closest LBer seems to share coverage responsibilities and trade off a lot.

You can play him like Kam one play, and Deion Jones the next. I think he's a Dan Quinn create-a-player. A true queen on the chessboard.

Also, compare him to the other defensive options you have with Surtain and Farley. You'd take Surtain because you feel really confident that he's a high floor guy who can be a good player for a long time. You'd take Farley because he's got big-time upside to be a true defensive playmaker. Well, JOK is both of those things. He obviously plays a different (and less valuable) position. But man, he's really done a lot of big-time playmaking against a lot of big-time competition. Whoever ends up with him is going to be really happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

You can play him like Kam one play, and Deion Jones the next. I think he's a Dan Quinn create-a-player. A true queen on the chessboard.

Also, compare him to the other defensive options you have with Surtain and Farley. You'd take Surtain because you feel really confident that he's a high floor guy who can be a good player for a long time. You'd take Farley because he's got big-time upside to be a true defensive playmaker. Well, JOK is both of those things. He obviously plays a different (and less valuable) position. But man, he's really done a lot of big-time playmaking against a lot of big-time competition. Whoever ends up with him is going to be really happy.

I don’t think Farley is a great scheme fit for Quinn’s defense. I want Farley playing press man not in zone.

On 2/23/2021 at 1:34 PM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Surtain and Grant would certainly be a rock solid triple in the first two rounds, and would make the draft a success no matter what came after.

That said, I'm not as big a fan of Moses and Shelvin.

If Will McClay loves Moses, then fine, I'll get stoked for the pick. His athleticism pops off the screen. But if you complain about how NFL offensive coordinators pick on Jaylon in coverage, you are likely to feel the same way about Moses once he comes into the league. Plus, his knee has been slow to heal, and he wanted to quit football because of it. There are a lot of LBs with a full toolbelt that will go in that range who I would prefer. Jabril Cox, Jamin Davis, Baron Browning, Pete Werner, Tony Fields, etc. have me more intrigued.

Shelvin, I just think is a low upside guy with too much "bad Dontari Poe" to his game. He's an absolute load at times, but too regularly you are like, "how did a guy that big get washed so far out of the play?" because he often has no control over his own momentum. McNiell, Wilson, and the USC duo, would all be worth the pick, but if they are gone, I think I'd opt for a different position than Shelvin.

If the first 3 rounds go Surtain then Grant an then Jabril Cox I'd be happy as long as they address NT with the teams second 3rd round pick. 

8 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Interesting spot for Newsome. Have seen his name popping up more over last week or so, despite a significant injury history. 

The train has been absolutely rolling on Greg Newsome, but I think it’s too much.

I like him a lot. People have made this comment about Surtain, but I actually think Newsome is the better comp for Byron Jones. Sticks on routes like glue, really fluid, willing in run support, but with a frustrating lack of ball production.

I think he fits in really well with the group of corners we might hope would be available at #44. But is he a top-25 guy, especially considering he’s missed time for injury during every season and only has 1 career interception? Color me skeptical, and not on board with him as our first pick in a trade down scenario.

• Like 1

I still like:

1st Surtain/Farley   2nd Moehrig/Horn   3rd McNeil/Shelvin  then Browning/Cox comp pic 

4th Little OL  then Rice LB with comp pic.?

I like this as it gets us a starting CB, Safety and a DT who will see a lot of time and could be a starter by mid season end of year.  The two LB's will see the field a lot one of them may start sooner rather then later and the OL will be a upgrade over any of our back ups..

I  have seen all the CB's that people like listed but if we trade down most of them are GONE by the time we will pick again.... so.. if we trade down and add 1 2nd I see.... being available at our spots..... first though I want Barmore in this spot...    I wouldn't mind JOK from ND but think he isn't as valuable as Barmore.. and won't be their when we next draft in the second.... soo...

1st Barmore    2nd Moehrig S/Horn S/Samual CB  then Campbell CB/Ojulari LB/Surrett LB          = 3rd  Washington S /Shelvin DT/Wilson DT/Smith LB  Then  Humphrey OL/Wilson CB  4th  LIttle OL then Rice LB with comp pic. 

this is not as clean to me.. a lot of hit and misses if your "guy" is gone...   it could be a HR.. but it could give us a lot of players who aren't much better then what we got.   I think it would add though Barmore a starter day 1 a starting S. then a CB and LB who see the field a lot. We also would get a OL who is better then any of our current back ups...

Still It could be argued that if the cards fall right you can get

BarmoreDT Moehrig D Campbell CB Smith LB Wilson CB Little OL Rice LB 

Which is better then....

Surtain CB Moehrig S Shelvin DT Cox LB LIttle OL Rice LB ....   

personally I could see us trading down to get ...Barmore.. then trading back up to get JOK..  then hopefully still getting say a Campbell or Wilson as your CB...   and Washington as your S.   LIttle as your OL and Rice as another LB.    This also would work for me...

but we better have our OB figured out by then.....