2021 - NFL Draft Prospects Thread

Texas_OutLaw7

Not having him land on a NFL East is the best argument...   Though if we can't cover they don't need the best in the world TE.   I liked Lamb because I thought he improved our team better then any other option and would for years. Though that value dropped a lot when Dak went down.  I just am not sold that Pitts will be a all pro TE when he steps on the field. SO I don't really see that great of separation between him and what we have.  Plus again I go to just how many weapons can be effective at one time. I limit myself to 4 (I include RB in this equation). IF you have 3 elite weapons at the receiver position then adding more just gives you diminishing returns.  Basically I am saying teams can't cover what we got already for any length of time so what good does it do to add more.  What CAN help is improved pass blocking... and as mentioned with Smith and Collins coming back that is already covered.

I guess I would be all over this if say we trade Gallup first like so many want.  Then yes we would have a roll for another primary receiver in our regular offense.  

This is why in general I would be much happier with Slatter over Pitts and not mind at all Surtain or Farely who can be playmakers. 

1 hour ago, quiller said:

Not having him land on a NFL East is the best argument... 

I don’t mean that you should literally be drafting to keep a player from another team.

But it’s a really good exercise to think about all of these players as potential opponents. It gives you a clearer head about whether you are passing on someone you shouldn’t, just because of need. Rosters turnover in the NFL very quickly. What is a strength today, is a problem tomorrow.

Obviously the Cowboys need to sink some serious resources into fixing the defense. But that shouldn’t exclude the possibility of landing an offensive star with 5 seasons of cheap labor. 

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

UT fans: why is Caden Sterns only a 4th or 5th round pick?

He tested great at his pro day, which got me interested. First glance, he seems really fluid, natural in coverage, range, with ball skills.

I’m intrigued, what is wrong with him? 

Inconsistency. Bad angles on ball carriers, doesnt wrap up at times, would rather go for the big hit. But these are all coachable and fixable things. Injuries. 

14 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Sounds like his issues are more in run support than coverage?

True. He will misjudge a ball in the air at times as well. He was amazing as a true freshman but in my opinion he never got better. He played better under Charlie Strong than he did for Herman. 

Definitely has a higher ceiling than Woods at safety. 

7 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

It's crazy to think that a couple of seasons ago, Dallas looked to be in solid shape at LB, with LVE and Smith. By this time next year, both may be gone and both considered busts.

NFL changes so fast. What you think is a strength today can be a weakness tomorrow’s which is why you can’t just ignore studs at WR and OL stud because they look like strong positions going into the year.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 3:46 PM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I don’t mean that you should literally be drafting to keep a player from another team.

But it’s a really good exercise to think about all of these players as potential opponents. It gives you a clearer head about whether you are passing on someone you shouldn’t, just because of need. Rosters turnover in the NFL very quickly. What is a strength today, is a problem tomorrow.

Obviously the Cowboys need to sink some serious resources into fixing the defense. But that shouldn’t exclude the possibility of landing an offensive star with 5 seasons of cheap labor. 

That ideology was one of the driving forces when Philly traded up and drafted Dallas Goedert a few years ago.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 3:49 AM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Sounds like his issues are more in run support than coverage?

I've been reading a lot of draft reports that say his cover skills need work over his run support. IMO both need work. In Charlie Strong's defense Sterns was an All American. In Tom Herman's defense he average at best. Strong's defense is a variant of the 4-3 under. I believe in Quinn's defense he can be a ball hawk as he was for Strong in his true freshman season. 

19 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

This entire thread. Watch it. Year 1 of waddle is limited to special teams and spelling our top 3 WRs. Replaces gallup next year. 

I love Waddle.

I think his offensive upside as a rookie is higher than that, though. His speed is something that no one else on the roster can replicate. Would not be that surprised if he got ~50% of sets with 3 WRs, plus a few plays designed specifically for him in other packages, plus using him as a decoy. 

• Like 1