2021 - NFL Draft Prospects Thread

2 hours ago, D82 said:

If OT is BPA, I'm okay with it...but I'd rather we look at drafting defense.

Even if Smith doesn't comes back, a line consisting of 

LT - Collins
LG - Williams
C - Biadasz 
RG - McGovern
RT - Martin

Isn't that bad. 

You are right. It's not that bad. But given an opportunity to have a great OL again, I'm extremely interested.

Good offense is far more reliable and predictable from year-to-year, and having a great OL makes everything on offense work better. There are a lot of ways to add talent to the defense. It doesn't absolutely require an investment of our 2021 first round pick to get back to respectable.

Obviously, we need to get better on defense, and if there is a total stud available at our pick, I'd be thrilled with that, too.

3 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

You are right. It's not that bad. But given an opportunity to have a great OL again, I'm extremely interested.

Good offense is far more reliable and predictable from year-to-year, and having a great OL makes everything on offense work better. There are a lot of ways to add talent to the defense. It doesn't absolutely require an investment of our 2021 first round pick to get back to respectable.

Obviously, we need to get better on defense, and if there is a total stud available at our pick, I'd be thrilled with that, too.

We've had a great OL before and really never got anywhere with it. When is the last time we've had a truly great defense? 

46 minutes ago, D82 said:

We've had a great OL before and really never got anywhere with it. When is the last time we've had a truly great defense? 

I’d say closest we have come is 2009. We were 2nd in points scored against that year. Had 3 players with 6 or more sacks and finished 7th as a team. Beat the Eagles in the WC for our first playoff win in like 15 years. Then we got absolutely trounced by the Vikings in the divisional. We had a pretty good OL that year too tho.

The closest we have come to winning the superbowl in the last 20 years was 2014 and 2016. Both of these teams lost nail biters to GB in the divisional. Both teams were built around the offensive line. Even back in 2007 when we lost to the Giants on the Crayton drop. That OL was full of Pro Bowlers. 

In fact ‘92, ‘93, ‘95, ‘07, ‘09, ‘14, and ‘16 all had multiple pro bowlers on the OL. Those are like our best years 

Edited by DaBoys
13 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I’d say closest we have come is 2009. We were 2nd in points scored against that year. Had 3 players with 6 or more sacks and finished 7th as a team. Beat the Eagles in the WC for our first playoff win in like 15 years. Then we got absolutely trounced by the Vikings in the divisional. We had a pretty good OL that year too tho.

The closest we have come to winning the superbowl in the last 20 years was 2014 and 2016. Both of these teams lost nail biters to GB in the divisional. Both teams were built around the offensive line. Even back in 2007 when we lost to the Giants on the Crayton drop. That OL was full of Pro Bowlers. 

In fact ‘92, ‘93, ‘95, ‘07, ‘09, ‘14, and ‘16 all had multiple pro bowlers on the OL. Those are like our best years 

I guess my point is, I'd like to see us devote more resources to the DT and S specifically. We've neglected those areas for a while. I'd love to see Marvin Wilson or Andre Cisco on this team. 

I wouldn't hate if Sewell is the BPA and we take him, just that I'd prefer we take a DE, DT, or S instead...or trade back and garner more picks. 

4 hours ago, D82 said:

I guess my point is, I'd like to see us devote more resources to the DT and S specifically. We've neglected those areas for a while. I'd love to see Marvin Wilson or Andre Cisco on this team. 

I wouldn't hate if Sewell is the BPA and we take him, just that I'd prefer we take a DE, DT, or S instead...or trade back and garner more picks. 

I’ve been on the DT train since 290 lb Ratliff was our NT in a 3-4. Yes they have ignored the position just like safety. 

But I really feel like they at least TRIED this last year or two. The pick ups didn’t work out but that’s hindsight. They finally did something. 

Our first overall pick the year before last was an under tackle or 3T. We drafted another DT day 2 in the 3rd round last year number 82 overall. We signed Gerald McCoy, Dontari Poe, and brought back Antwuan Woods all to join the ever paid Tyrone Crawford in the middle. Not to mention the pickups of 280lb Aldon Smith and Everson Griffen who have position flex. 

We were supposed to be set at DT. We had experience, youth, invested capital, and high draft picks. It’s not working out, but it’s not for lack of trying. 

18 hours ago, D82 said:

Give me an elite offense over an elite defense. It’s a much more sustainable proposition, and much more valuable in today’s league.

And the good news is, we are much, much closer to an elite offense. 

14 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Give me an elite offense over an elite defense. It’s a much more sustainable proposition, and much more valuable in today’s league.

And the good news is, we are much, much closer to an elite offense. 

Fair enough. If they do go that route, I at least hope they try and upgrade safety and the interior DL. 

17 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Yep, if Dallas can just manage to get the #2 pick somehow.  They could get a nice little ransom in return for pick.

We still might be able to get a nice little haul depending on where we pick. Lots of QB needy teams.

26 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Yep, if Dallas can just manage to get the #2 pick somehow.  They could get a nice little ransom in return for pick.

Even trade down a few spots, get an extra pick and take either Sewell or a top Defensive guy.

19 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

So who are the most in packful top 5 players at this time other than of course Lawrence?

Since it appears that we do have that chance that get a top 5 pick just wondering

Sewell
Fields 
Parsons 
Rousseau
Surtain 

• Like 1
  • D82 locked this topic