2021 - NFL Draft Prospects Thread

Texas_OutLaw7

4 minutes ago, quiller said:

I would not be apposed to taking Radnuz at 44 if we get Surtain or Horn in the 1st.

I know people are down on Ford and Shelvin on this board.

But when I look at who might be there especially in the 5th round and we haven't got a safety yet, unless we also haven't gotten any OL help I think our best bet is take a flyer on Ford incase he surprises and he can work special teams as no one else has any real value at that point.  IF nothing else he can be a good deep safety in our dime package.  

I also would only take a flyer on Shelvin if we haven't taken a DT yet. I know people say Shelvin will not be a improvement on Hill Gallimore and Woods. My take on that is one reason I am interested in going DT is to find a person who has some size and can set the LOS and not get blown off the ball so easily.  Gallimore and Hill go 300lbs, Woods 320. They get blown up too easily and are not as quick as I like getting off the ball and getting penetration. Shelvin  goes 345 and probably when  in shape to NFL standards would have a playing weight of 335 or so.  My take on Shelvin, not a every down player at all, but with some minor coaching can be a huge help on early downs, especially against the run by staying solid and at times requiring a double team freeing up the LB's and the rest of our DL, he would work well besides Hill, Gallimore and Woods. 

Seriously, Ford Should. Not. Be. Drafted. I don't know why you have such a hard-on for that guy, but he has damn near zero pro potential. And, quite honestly, if we're tired of just throwing talentless bodies in the defensive backfield, how does Ford change that? He's less talented than Jeff Heath.

If we're to use a Day 3 pick on a Safety, my money would be on Divine Diablo.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

I'd trade up to 7 in that case and take Pitts

I am against this in many ways.  First I can see taking Pitts if he falls to us, wouldn't be happy but would deal. Pitts to me does not bring the same thing to the table that Lamb did. While yes Pitts is projected to be a elite TE I do not personally feel he brings enough value over what we already have to warrant giving up picks in the draft when we have so many holes on the D side of the ball. 

27 minutes ago, quiller said:

I know people are down on Ford and Shelvin on this board.

But when I look at who might be there especially in the 5th round and we haven't got a safety yet, unless we also haven't gotten any OL help I think our best bet is take a flyer on Ford incase he surprises and he can work special teams as no one else has any real value at that point.  IF nothing else he can be a good deep safety in our dime package.  

Nope. He can’t be. You “take a flyer” on someone with some kind of unique trait. Ford isn’t remotely an NFL caliber athlete. He won’t even be able to cut the grade as a special teamer. Just, no.

29 minutes ago, quiller said:

I also would only take a flyer on Shelvin if we haven't taken a DT yet. I know people say Shelvin will not be a improvement on Hill Gallimore and Woods. 

Shelvin, I agree, you can “take a flyer” on at a certain point. His size is unique. But, IMO, you are getting a lot of what you got out of Dontari Poe last year. Someone who can’t collapse a pocket because he’s slow, and who gets washed out of plays because he can’t control his momentum laterally. You can’t move the guy, it’s true, but there are better 1Ts out there.

22 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Seriously, Ford Should. Not. Be. Drafted. I don't know why you have such a hard-on for that guy, but he has damn near zero pro potential. And, quite honestly, if we're tired of just throwing talentless bodies in the defensive backfield, how does Ford change that? He's less talented than Jeff Heath.

Prediction: Divine Deablo does not last until day 3 (and I’d be 100% on board for #75 or #99).

The day 3 safeties that make a lot of sense to me are Sterns and Gillespie. If we get to the 4th round and haven’t drafted a safety, those are the guys I’ll have my eyes on.

2 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Prediction: Divine Deablo does not last until day 3 (and I’d be 100% on board for #75 or #99).

The day 3 safeties that make a lot of sense to me are Sterns and Gillespie. If we get to the 4th round and haven’t drafted a safety, those are the guys I’ll have my eyes on.

If we get to the 4th round and haven't drafted a Safety (if there was opportunity to do so in the 2nd and 3rd rounds), then I don't think I'd want to draft one, because it would be yet another half-hearted attempt to throw poop at the wall in the hope that something will stick, rather than specifically focusing on effectively addressing the position.

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

My latest warm take is that Jevon Holland is a solidly better FS prospect than Richie Grant, and roughly the same caliber as Moehrig (though I would take Moehrig, if forced to choose).

I'm all for Holland in Rd 2

18 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Well following all this it sounds like and others there are ZERO players you are interested in drafting in rounds 5-6-7.  Deablo should be gone by our pick 179.  

I would like to hear who people would draft at 179. When we've drafted CB, LB, OT, DT and edge in our previous 6 picks... 

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

If we get to the 4th round and haven't drafted a Safety (if there was opportunity to do so in the 2nd and 3rd rounds), then I don't think I'd want to draft one, because it would be yet another half-hearted attempt to throw poop at the wall in the hope that something will stick, rather than specifically focusing on effectively addressing the position.

I’m a little confused. No player in the 4th round or later should be viewed as a legitimate effort to address a hole. But you have to draft someone. A safety with upside feels like as reasonable a use of those assets as any. 

IN my mind the situation is rather simple...  

draft Offense round 1 and you can expect to get a defensive player who will make a major contribution in two other spots between CB, LB, S.  I really want to see us get three of these though if Kazee and Neal meet their expectation then with Wilson and Thompson we might be okay at safety. but I figured Mckoy would solve our problem last year at DT and that didn't work. WE are not okay at CB and LB unless Quinn pulls some rabbits out of his hat.   

IF we want to get a player that will fill a hole at CB, LB S I figure those have to be our first three picks, though we might get a LB round 3 late.  I see this is  possible if we get:

1-Surtain/Horn/Cambell/Newsome/Farley?

1-Moehrig/Holland/Grant? 

1- Davis/Bolton/Browning/Cox??

I can see the situation if we draft the right person  we can get someone in 4th through 7th that can be a contributor on the team at OL James-Hudson-Little and WR a ton of possible.  I would add DL Shelvin in the 4th or late 3rd is a good pick.   

Edited by quiller

37 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Part of me still believes we will be fine at LB. 

The regression was too stark for me not to assume scheme. 

How Neal works with LVE and Smith will be interesting there is a chance we will be happy with results. All three of those have great years in their past history. 

Edited by quiller

4 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I’m a little confused. No player in the 4th round or later should be viewed as a legitimate effort to address a hole. But you have to draft someone. A safety with upside feels like as reasonable a use of those assets as any. 

I get that, and I'm not challenging your logic, because it's reasonable and sensible. I'm challenging the organization's logic due to the historical laziness that its has shown toward that position and how poorly they attempt to even evaluate it. By and large, they make such little effort that they may as well look to another position because they won't find a solid guy with the potential to develop into anything because they genuinely don't care about the position.

6 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

I get that, and I'm not challenging your logic, because it's reasonable and sensible. I'm challenging the organization's logic due to the historical laziness that its has shown toward that position and how poorly they attempt to even evaluate it. By and large, they make such little effort that they may as well look to another position because they won't find a solid guy with the potential to develop into anything because they genuinely don't care about the position.

Donavan Wilson, Xavier Woods, and Kavon Frazier are/were all reasonable roster pieces. You can’t have superstars everywhere. I don’t think I understand the logic of avoiding safety altogether if they don’t address it early. 

10 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Part of me still believes we will be fine at LB. 

The regression was too stark for me not to assume scheme. 

I think there is a reasonable hope that, if LVE can stay healthy, he can be a really good LB still. But the injuries are a real concern, and that probably prevents you from picking up his 5th year option. So you are 1 year out from either letting him walk because he got hurt again, or having a hard decision about whether to pay him.

Your hope for Jaylon is misplaced, IMO. The regression was not stark. He hasn’t been a net positive since McVay exposed him in the 2018 playoffs.

And then you have Keanu Neal on a 1 year deal.

So 2022 is setting up to be a potential mess at LB. It would be wise to land someone with starting potential now. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Donavan Wilson, Xavier Woods, and Kavon Frazier are/were all reasonable roster pieces. You can’t have superstars everywhere. I don’t think I understand the logic of avoiding safety altogether if they don’t address it early. 

I mean, every once in a while you can luck out and find a good player at any point in the draft. Kam Chancellor was a 5th round pick. So I certainly wouldn't avoid the position entirely if they didn't address it early...but my hope is they've learned from past mistakes and look to address it sooner rather than later. Especially since they don't have a legitimate starter opposite Wilson as of right now - Kazee is apparently going to miss some time possibly coming back from injury.