2021 - NFL Draft Prospects Thread

1 hour ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

This is definitely something to consider but with guys like this I ask “do I see the lack of effort on tape?” 

I love his tape, I love his effort. But yeah it is something to consider because Gregory is the same type of pass rusher.

I’m not concerned about his effort. He’s great out there. But the guy wanted to retire because of head injuries. He will want to walk away from the game and pursue music at his earliest opportunity.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz
On 4/17/2021 at 3:43 PM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

You just can’t take this guy, IMO. The former medical retiree who admittedly is not very passionate about football.

As a decision-maker, I’d be more than content to be wrong on a guy like that. You aren’t going far in the long run by taking risks like this.

Agree. I'm tired of having the best players on ir.

On 4/17/2021 at 3:31 PM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I’m not concerned about his effort. He’s great out there. But the guy wanted to retire because of head injuries. He will want to walk away from the game and pursue music at his earliest opportunity.

I’m with you. I wouldn’t touch Jaelan Phillips in the first round with a 10 foot pole.

Brandt came out with his latest top 100...     If teams mostly follow this except for drafting QB's then we will have a choice between  OL Tucker, OL Slater and CB Surtain.  if going OL i would pick Tucker based on what Brandt has to say and take a pass on Slater who grades out to be more of a guard then tackle in the NFL. 

WE need the following to fall a bit if we want them:  LB Davis and CB Campbell. We should be able to choose between S Grant and OL Radunz.    LB Bolton and JOK should also be on he board.

I am gaining interest in DT Nixon in the 3rd  Though LB Cox would be a option here. I've also heard good things about cb Adebo.   OT Spencer Brown should also be available. 

at pick 99---   I just want the BPA with in a few guidelines... NO WR or TE please.

Either way I would love to have gotten a CB and LB by this spot.  Grant is the only Safety I'm interested in if Moehrig doesn't fall in our lap.  I wouldn't throw a fit if we went OT or DT over Safety. 

I still have Surtain as my no1 choice.  

Edited by quiller

Two questions. 

1. Why can't washington CB Elijah Molden be our answer to S?

2. Can Shawn Wade reclamation project happen to draft him to be our NCB?

Maybe double dipping at CB and essentially triple dipping at DB would be valuable this draft. 

2 hours ago, quiller said:

Brandt came out with his latest top 100...     If teams mostly follow this except for drafting QB's then we will have a choice between  OL Tucker, OL Slater and CB Surtain.  if going OL i would pick Tucker based on what Brandt has to say and take a pass on Slater who grades out to be more of a guard then tackle in the NFL. 

1) Teams will not be following Gil’s big board, so I wouldn’t spend too much time analyzing players you expect to be available from this.

2) Some of these rankings and explanations are objectively ludicrous. Slater is a guard because of his 33” arms, but AVT is is an elite OT prospect with 32” arms? Pete Werner is in the top 30 because he might be able to play safety, but JOK tumbles down the board because he might play safety.

You may be a godfather, but GTFO, Gil.

16 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

1. Why can't washington CB Elijah Molden be our answer to S?

He could be, but I don’t expect they’ll view him as a fit. He can do a lot of safety stuff, but he really probably isn’t a single-high guy that Quinn covets, and he doesn’t have the length McClay covers. Love the player, but I don’t expect him to be a Cowboy.

18 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

2. Can Shawn Wade reclamation project happen to draft him to be our NCB?

I mean, you can draft Wade if you want. He might find a spot on your practice squad. Dude is not making active roster duty anytime soon. 

6 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Man. That's damning. I can't think of a prospect who has fallen so hard from grace as Wade. 

Yea so what happened with him? I heard there was effort issues, but besides that didn’t he have a position switch too? From outside to slot or slot to outside? 

If he was much better in the slot then I wouldn’t be opposed to drafting him on day 3 to see if he can return to form. He’d definitely have to be the 2nd or 3rd CB we draft because his play was so bad last year that we can’t depend on him, but isn’t that all day 3 picks? Atleast with him he had a year of tape where he looked like a 1st/2nd round CB, we’d just have to get him back there.

2 hours ago, CT Cowboy Fan said:

Yea so what happened with him? I heard there was effort issues, but besides that didn’t he have a position switch too? From outside to slot or slot to outside? 

If he was much better in the slot then I wouldn’t be opposed to drafting him on day 3 to see if he can return to form. He’d definitely have to be the 2nd or 3rd CB we draft because his play was so bad last year that we can’t depend on him, but isn’t that all day 3 picks? Atleast with him he had a year of tape where he looked like a 1st/2nd round CB, we’d just have to get him back there.

Slot to Outside and he got hammered this year. 

18 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Slot to Outside and he got hammered this year. 

So if we take a Surtain/Horn/Newsom/Melifonwu as our first CB, I wouldn’t be opposed to taking him day 3 and putting him back in the slot since that’s his happy place

4 hours ago, CT Cowboy Fan said:

If he was much better in the slot then I wouldn’t be opposed to drafting him on day 3 to see if he can return to form. He’d definitely have to be the 2nd or 3rd CB we draft because his play was so bad last year that we can’t depend on him, but isn’t that all day 3 picks? At least with him he had a year of tape where he looked like a 1st/2nd round CB, we’d just have to get him back there.

Did you study him in 2019?

I didn't, so I don't know for sure. But it seems to me that Occam's Razor is he wasn't actually that great in 2019. 

We have prospects like him and Marvin Wilson who were highly touted before everything was really scrutinized. And the only time their tape is really getting widely picked apart is now, when people are focusing on their recent tape. People fall into this trap of thinking, "But he used to be so good! What happened?"

When the reality is probably closer to the Gregory Rousseaus, Paris Fords, Jaylen Twymans of the world. Had they not gone back to school, Wade's and Wilson's tape from 2019 would be looked at more closely, and people would realize those players weren't as good as they originally thought. But instead, we view these guys as former superstars. I don't really buy it. Wade will be burnt toast in the pros, just like he was this year. 

11 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Man. That's damning. I can't think of a prospect who has fallen so hard from grace as Wade. 

Obviously some people don't agree with my assessment, because he's still projected in the 3rd and 4th round many places. But I'm not betting on him. 

• D82 locked this topic