John Coppolella To Resign As Braves GM

devils1854

Still be a well sought after job. Farm system still in good shape, even though I assume Atlanta loses Maitan and a few others because of their stupidity. Know Moore is going to be high on GM list, but now is the perfect opportunity to go outside the box. Might be best served to put some distance between future Braves and the past right now anyway.

48 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Still be a well sought after job. Farm system still in good shape, even though I assume Atlanta loses Maitan and a few others because of their stupidity. Know Moore is going to be high on GM list, but now is the perfect opportunity to go outside the box. Might be best served to put some distance between future Braves and the past right now anyway.

Im not so sure that we will lose Maitan. From what Ive read, we signed Maitan and another guy in the same year. Both were living together in Florida training before the signing period, but they did not have the same handler, and thats what got the Red Sox in trouble. They had 5 guys all being "represented" by the same guy, and it was easy to trace the money there. Im not so sure they will be able to connect the dots with Maitan and the other guy, if there are any. 

Im thinking we will probably lose our first round pick this year, maybe more. Be pretty much banned from international signings for a few years, and some kind of hefty fines. 

I'm not gonna defend the Braves here, but the MLB isn't blameless.

You don't get to have multiple years where every single top J2 prospect signs within 10 hours of the window opening, then get upset when the Braves cook up deals.
You don't get to have multiple years where on air guys like Jonathan Mayo are saying "yeah they cut a deal with him to save some money" and then be surprised that the Braves cut a pre-draft deal with a prospect.

I'm assuming they were one of the worst offenders, and if some of the rumors are true on redistributing money or backing out of pre-draft deals or any other shady crap are true, they deserve it. But the MLB should have set expectations from the beginning much better here.

1 hour ago, devils1854 said:

Pretty sure Hart is done as well. He is going to "retire."

Schuerholz will probably quietly leave as well.

Its going to be a whole new front office when things are said and done. Im just hoping Kiley is saved somehow. 

No, Coppy's protege won't be saved. 

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm teeing you up here... how much comes out?

I know as much as the next guy at this point, really. I just know that the guys that were seen as Coppy's guys (which is 100% Kiley) are likely not very safe. 

can someone lay out what the serious allegations are? If its just cutting pre draft deals with prospects and bundling IFA deals, my understanding is that more or less every team does that and although frowned upon its accepted as long as its not being flaunted out there.

2 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

very much seems like they got caught doing a couple things wrong and now its turned into a fishing expedition to see what else went on. Assuming they dont find anything else, what punishments are they looking at?

The Braves arent going to lose players. There seems to not be enough on Maitan, and no one is coming forward on Drew Waters potentially being given a new car for signing. Plus, if MLB did make Maitan a free agent, it would be doing what they dont want. A bidding war would happen, and it would get expensive, and MLB aint bout that life.

I could see the Braves losing their first rd pick this year, but more than likely it will be big fines, international restrictions for a few years, and maybe losing our second pick in 2018.

Since I have been living in Chicago for the past 2+ years, I haven't been able to pay as much attention to the Braves as I normally would like.

One thing is that I never liked that we had so many guys in the front office, I wish the FO was a bit smaller and more streamlined. I'm not saying any of this had to do with one another, just something I had been thinking of. 

Archived