John Coppolella To Resign As Braves GM

devils1854

Here's what a current Braves employee said prior to joining the Braves org and over 14 months prior to the Braves signing Maitan and Guttierez (and over 25 months prior to the Braves having an abandoned predraft deal with Vientos):

1. Mark Vientos (17.5), SS, Flanagan HS (FL), Miami (FL) commit: Vientos is aged like a 2018 prospect but even if he was a year older, he may still be the top player in this class. He’s a 6’3/170 shortstop with a chance to stick at the position and a broad base of precocious skills that led one scout to mention Manny Machado. Vientos turned 15 in late December and has to be considered alongside 2016-eligible Venezuelans SS Kevin Maitan and C Abraham Gutierrez as the top players in the world at that age.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/20162017-mlb-draft-rankings-ridiculously-early-edition/

Maitan, 17, was the top prospect in the 2016 class and already ranks as the No. 77 prospect in baseball, making him the first July 2 prospect to rank in the BA Top 100 since Miguel Sano. Maitan was the best 16-year-old prospect since Sano signed with the Twins in 2009 and some scouts felt he was the best Venezuelan amateur position prospect since Miguel Cabrera signed with the Marlins in 1999. Maitan has an outstanding combination of size, athleticism, tools, game skills and hitting ability with a chance to stay at a premium position.
Read more at https://www.baseballamerica.com/international/international-reviews-atlanta-braves-2016/#UEzkbJqU6DopGRor.99”

SEems like a big deal tbh

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

@hrubes20 Gutierrez is gone too.

This is like prospect Christmas morning.

EDIT: https://www.baseballamerica.com/international/mlb-removing-prospects-braves/#JyC1WFMebPWEQkjH.97

Fantastic.  I missed the Pache stuff earlier, but is this stretching back to 2015 as well?  Because I could REALLY use some more Contreras in the Cubs' organization.

4 minutes ago, NewAge said:

Here's what a current Braves employee said prior to joining the Braves org and over 14 months prior to the Braves signing Maitan and Guttierez (and over 25 months prior to the Braves having an abandoned predraft deal with Vientos):

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/20162017-mlb-draft-rankings-ridiculously-early-edition/

Yeah, I remember Kiley gushing about Maitan and Gutierrez a full year in advance of their signing period. 

22 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

By the way, I don't know exactly what the Braves did to deserve this, but it's a complete goddamn embarrassment that the MLB is going to come down on them orders of magnitude harder than they did the Cardinals.

You also know that somehow the Cardinals will end up with Maitan, right?  "On top of continuously giving you free compensation picks that you shouldn't be entitled to, I feel bad having to take away one whole first round pick for your organization hacking another, so please take this really talented IFA as compensation."   - Manfred to his bosom buddy Dewitt.

2 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

You also know that somehow the Cardinals will end up with Maitan, right?  "On top of continuously giving you free compensation picks that you shouldn't be entitled to, I feel bad having to take away one whole first round pick for your organization hacking another, so please take this really talented IFA as compensation."   - Manfred to his bosom buddy Dewitt.

We can only hope. 

3 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I have no idea what this means.  Why wouldn't they simply be subject to the IFA rules already in place?

Previously, the Red Sox players' bonuses only started counting against the cap at $300k+, because all of the $300k money was divided up so the MLB tried to make the lesser players whole again that way. So when the Brewers signed one of the Boston guys for $375k, only $75k counted against their bonus pool.

The MLB might use those rules or might use completely different ones. They've shown that they might adjust the rules based on the infractions before.

5 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

That stupid compensation pick the Cardinals got came on the heels of them getting a $50M/year increase in their TV deal that came into effect this year. INCREASE. Puts them in the upper 8 of MLB TV deals and locks them in for 15 years, so they'll be still cashing in when the cordcutter bubble bursts. For reference, the Brewers' total TV deal is about $30M/year.

Yeah both of those teams absolutely deserve compensation picks.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Previously, the Red Sox players' bonuses only started counting against the cap at $300k+, because all of the $300k money was divided up so the MLB tried to make the lesser players whole again that way. So when the Brewers signed one of the Boston guys for $375k, only $75k counted against their bonus pool.

The MLB might use those rules or might use completely different ones. They've shown that they might adjust the rules based on the infractions before.

I remembered that part.  I was mostly commenting on the "when they can sign" and "what pools are affected" parts.  I mean, what other pools are even options?  Why make them wait to sign (although this would be pleasing to me)?

Archived