John Coppolella To Resign As Braves GM

devils1854

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Tough to know without knowing what the Braves did. I think "what pools are affected" is basically "how the new contracts will affect the IFA signing pool"

Can't come up with a reason to make them wait though.

Appraently it was in reference to the 2018 IFA pools as well.  Teams can bid on these guys using 2018 money now.

8 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

so if im understanding correctly, the biggest transgression is the signing of some guys from 2015 and giving them money on the side in addition to their written bonus? How stupid by the braves...

Yeah, they had agreements with Maitan and company already in 2015, but also wanted to sign a bunch of guys in the 2015 class without going into the penalty box, so they funneled the money through a different player to avoid the spending limit for 2016.  Essentially they wouldn't have had a shot at any of those players in 2016 without skirting around the rules, so the discipline being levied by MLB seems really appropriate here.

1 minute ago, NewAge said:

Honestly, this was too light. They should have lost at least Pache, maybe even Acuna if he was one of the 2015 guys in question too. 

The penalty is for the package deals not for the fact that they were signing kids at 13. 

But they weren't under any spending limitations yet in 2015.  What MLB did was shift all the money that was packaged in 2015 and applied it to their 2015 limit.  Since it was in excess of the amount allowed, they then retroactively placed them in the penalty box for 2016, meaning all of the deals in excess of $300K were voided.  Braves are out the prospects.  Braves are out the roughly $20 million they spent on said prospects.  They get more spending restrictions going forward.  I could see the argument for slightly more of a punishment as a deterrence, but the rationale behind the rest of it is sound.

Just now, hrubes20 said:

But they weren't under any spending limitations yet in 2015.  What MLB did was shift all the money that was packaged in 2015 and applied it to their 2015 limit.  Since it was in excess of the amount allowed, they then retroactively placed them in the penalty box for 2016, meaning all of the deals in excess of $300K were voided.  Braves are out the prospects.  Braves are out the roughly $20 million they spent on said prospects.  They get more spending restrictions going forward.  

Yes, I get that. I'm saying the Braves got off light because they didn't also have the book thrown at them for signing 13 year olds and all the other shady stuff. 

Just now, NewAge said:

Yes, I get that. I'm saying the Braves got off light because they didn't also have the book thrown at them for signing 13 year olds and all the other shady stuff. 

Ah, gotcha.  I have to wonder if that didn't have that big of an effect due to the fact that literally every team does that.  I'm sure most teams do package deals of some sort as well, but not so blatantly.

Just now, hrubes20 said:

Ah, gotcha.  I have to wonder if that didn't have that big of an effect due to the fact that literally every team does that.  I'm sure most teams do package deals of some sort as well, but not so blatantly.

Maybe but if you're going to use this to set an example, why not make an example of that too? That's morally the worse thing. 

Just now, NewAge said:

Maybe but if you're going to use this to set an example, why not make an example of that too? That's morally the worse thing. 

It's quite obvious that they don't care about morals.  I mean, hell, the Cards literally stole from another organization and received a slap on the wrist.  

Just now, GSUeagles14 said:

is this a case of prospect fatigue? Guy was hoped as miguel cabrera, now after a rough first season hes not even a top 10 organizational prospect?

It's not universal.  He's still a very highly regarded player for many.  Maitan gained a good bit of weight and didn't hit the ground running as a 17 year old stateside. 

7 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

By the way, I don't know exactly what the Braves did to deserve this, but it's a complete goddamn embarrassment that the MLB is going to come down on them orders of magnitude harder than they did the Cardinals.

6 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

You also know that somehow the Cardinals will end up with Maitan, right?  "On top of continuously giving you free compensation picks that you shouldn't be entitled to, I feel bad having to take away one whole first round pick for your organization hacking another, so please take this really talented IFA as compensation."   - Manfred to his bosom buddy Dewitt.

6 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That stupid compensation pick the Cardinals got came on the heels of them getting a $50M/year increase in their TV deal that came into effect this year. INCREASE. Puts them in the upper 8 of MLB TV deals and locks them in for 15 years, so they'll be still cashing in when the cordcutter bubble bursts. For reference, the Brewers' total TV deal is about $30M/year.

Yeah both of those teams absolutely deserve compensation picks.

The salt in this thread is priceless.

Archived