Week 1 GDT: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-0) @ New Orleans Saints (0-0): The last dance or the retirement tour?

Canadian Saint

31 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

I'm happy with the win. We always start slow, so I'm glad we got a win even with a sub-par effort.

The only real area of concern to me was O-line. Peat got beaten like a drum multiple times and the O-line missed assignments. Apart from that I'm confident we'll figure it out. On to Las Vegas.

Peat has never been good.

• Like 1

Andrus Peat is so bad. What were the Saints really thinking with that contract? And the bad thing is that he is with just about 100% certain will get hurt at some point this season. 

Brees...ugh. He had one good pass yesterday, the rest were of the 3-yard variety or floaters. If the Saints didn't have a great defense and special teams...we'd be looking at 0-1 and probably something along the lines of a 5-7 win season with Brees at the helm. There are going to be a lot of frustrating games this season, like the Vikings playoff game, where Brees and the offense look like they can't convert a first down. This certainly looks like Brees last season.

Edited by sammymvpknight

1 hour ago, ckoz24 said:

I just got to say that modified onside kick was amazing! I’ve only been watching football for the past 4-5 years and mostly only Saints games, so if anyone has seen that before let me know... but that was special!

It wasn't a modified onside kick. Saints opted to enforce the 15 yard facemask penalty on the kick off. Fairly standard kick when that happens. Kicker tries to do a little pop up kick in that general vicinity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

Andrus Peat is so bad. What were the Saints really thinking with that contract? And the bad thing is that he is with just about 100% certain will get hurt at some point this season. 

Brees...ugh. He had one good pass yesterday, the rest were of the 3-yard variety or floaters. If the Saints didn't have a great defense and special teams...we'd be looking at 0-1 and probably something along the lines of a 5-7 win season with Brees at the helm. There are going to be a lot of frustrating games this season, like the Vikings playoff game, where Brees and the offense look like they can't convert a first down. This certainly looks like Brees last season.

I honestly don't know if it was Brees, the offensive playcalling, or the fact that the Bucs defense is and has been legit.  We should've attempted more shots downfield when it was obvious the refs were being very generous to the WR in regards to PI but we kept calling plays that were designed to be 5-10 yard throws.  With Peat I thought it was a massive overpay as well, even if he is capable of swinging out to LT when Armstead gets hurt, it's a when not an if for him as well unfortunately, and was hoping that maybe Peat's poor performance last season was just due to him being knicked up the whole year.  Hopefully they'll improve as the year continues since they were limited in training camp etc.

• Like 1

A lot of it was the Bucs front 7 being legit.  Can’t really hold on to the ball and take shots.  We couldn’t run the ball either, the oline got handled pretty good.

That being said, we don’t expect any more from Brees at this stage beyond game manager.  It’s just not gonna happen.  We don’t really need Taysom or Jameis running the show and throwing a bunch of picks either.  We just gotta make do with what we have.  A postseason run is just gonna have to take a team effort.  Hopefully we stay healthy.

Don't think this is really a good game to draw too many conclusions one way or the other in regards to Drew Brees this season. The offense had no preseason to get live game reps, some new guys on the OL, and Tampa has a pretty talented front 7. Going to give it a few games to let the offense get in sync before I sound the alarm on Brees having father time catch up with him this year. That said we got a big week 1 win and we were about 1 inch away from putting up 40 points on a Bucs team that had a ton of hype coming into the season, I'll gladly take that.