Von Miller done for the year

paul-mac

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think it’s time for us all to reset our expectations for this year, as much as that sucks to say. The thought of sneaking into the playoffs was fun, but it feels a game or two out of reach now. That pass rush had so much upside...

Brutal sport. Just brutal. 

Why do I feel like this season ending injury to Von is also a season ending injury to the Broncos. Like...I was so excited for this year and potentially sneak into the playoffs with ll the momentum they had this offseason. I just feel like all of that hope and momentum just got zapped out of the building and it killed any chance for the Broncos to actually be a serious player.

I'll be in the minority here, but as much as the Von injury sucks, I'm glad Clowney isn't available.  He would not even come close to replacing what Von brings...and for 12.5-15M, it would be wasted money.  Clowney is a great run stopper, but he's not the edge disruptor that can change a game like Von can & has done.   It wouldn't bridge the gap to a crushing injury.  Our D's weaknesses at ILB and CB will really get tested sorely with that 0.5 sec longer QB's will likely have without Von's presence.   People complained about how he wasn't getting sacks last year - but he was routinely double & triple-teamed.   We'll find out how much we miss that right now.

Having said all the above, the reality was that 2020 playoffs were a longshot, and somewhat of a mirage induced by us surging up late with Lock at the helm.  This is a new O scheme, with new personnel, and a new OC.   With any other year, it would have been a tall task - with no preseason, and no OTA's, and an abbreviated TC, it's going to be an adjustment phase for the O where unfortunately games get lost while they learn.   Now that the D is likely mortal (can still be decent, but talk of being an elite D with our pass rush, well that dies quickly now), it likely means a lot more games where our O has to open it up, and realistically it's tough to see us coming out on top while the O is getting its feet wet.  

The reality is that we're likely back to being a 6-8 win team, barring some improbable plugging of our key holes.   That's OK, so long as we don't lose our core young guys, and they keep progressing - we have the foundation of a playoff contender, and we're not that far away from filling the key holes (T, ILB, hoping our CB's progress).  I really hope it's not an Achilles with Von - because it offers hope that Von can return and be the impact guy we know.   Next year, we'll have the O used to the new system, the rookies will be up to NFL speed and complexity next year, and Lock will have a full season under his belt.   So there's still a lot to be optimistic for in the long run, and that's really the most important message.  It's just unfortunate that the narrow window to playoff contention just likely slammed shut before the season began, but it shouldn't remove the optimism the fanbase has felt this offseason - it's just more likely channelled to the more likely year when the team truly arrives, of 2021+.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Man .. I had a really good feeling about him this year as well. Absolutely brutal loss. I think our outside rush is fragile WITH Von, so now it's in big trouble.

It's not ridiculous to say we might have seen the last of Von in a Bronco uniform.  He's due a cap hit of $22m aged 32 coming off a serious lower leg injury, with only $4.2m cap hit if he's off the roster. If he's not willing to restructure then I fear he's gone unless we give him future guarantees (which we won't).

You would assume one of the vets that Klis has floated will be brought in; Clay Matthews, Ansah, Suggs, Wake. To be honest, I would be tempted to bring in two of them if we think we can take the Special Teams hit.

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Man .. I had a really good feeling about him this year as well. Absolutely brutal loss. I think our outside rush is fragile WITH Von, so now it's in big trouble.

It's not ridiculous to say we might have seen the last of Von in a Bronco uniform.  He's due a cap hit of $22m aged 32 coming off a serious lower leg injury, with only $4.2m cap hit if he's off the roster. If he's not willing to restructure then I fear he's gone unless we give him future guarantees (which we won't).

You would assume one of the vets that Klis has floated will be brought in; Clay Matthews, Ansah, Suggs, Wake. To be honest, I would be tempted to bring in two of them if we think we can take the Special Teams hit.

The only wrinkle is if Von has an injury guarantee to the 2021 deal.   It’s normally not the case but superstars are the one case where this is done.   I can’t find the details on this but it’s something worth mentioning.  Menelik Watson and Ron Leary stuck around an extra year because of this.    Von’s chances of passing a physical by March if it’s an Achilles are virtually nil.   If it’s a different injury then better chances.    Either way it’s going to be one interesting offseason with Von next year.   

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Ansah would be the pick of those players in my view. Suggs and Matthews are done. Wake was good last year, but he’s 38 and you have to assume his body will just give up on him sooner rather than later. Only thing with Ezekiel Ansah is he doesn’t really fit as a 3-4 OLB but I tend to think that matters less these days when you’re usually playing DE in a 4-man from on nickel formations like 70% of the time anyway.

I actually really like Malik Reed as a breakout candidate this year, but given that Chubb is going to be on a pitch count (if he can even play at all), there’s no excuse not to go ahead and bring in outside help. 

I saw the other day that we are in the top 10 for cap space in the league so I’d go ahead and bring two of them in like you say. It’d be unfortunate for special teams, but I hope we have enough decent special teamers on our rosters anyway. 

Edited by paul-mac

Absolutely brutal blow. Gutted for Von, he seemed hyper focused this year and by all accounts was in some of the best shape of his life. I would not be shocked in the least if he doesn't play another down for the Broncos, unfortunately. Elway has shown propensity to make tough business decisions when they are necessary. All speculation, of course, given we don't know what his injury actually is, recovery time, etc, but given his age, it has to be considered.

As far as replacements, going to be interesting. I would honestly take a look at Terrell Suggs. I know he's old, but I would have to think he's the best of the bunch available and can still play at a high enough level to make some sort of impact. 

2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Didn't Atouche (spelling?) start to play really well at the end of last year.  It seemed like he was everywhere.

Good Special Teamer, below average pass rusher. Plays with effort but we're going to need more talented pass rush for this Defense to have success.