WizardHawk

GDT: @ LA Rams

According to Scott Kacsmar, since 1994, there have been 349 instances of a team facing 4th-and-2 or more in the red zone, trailing by 1-3 points, in the fourth quarter. Dallas on Sunday Night was the 3rd such team to go for it- 346 kicked the FG. And they were the only team to go for it outside the 5-yard line.

Analytics obviously do not favor going for it on fourth over kicking/punting in every single situation. Kicking the FG was, removed from context, the right decision, especially since we weren’t pinning them inside the five with a failed conversion. Within context, McCarthy wanted to establish that he is not Garrett and show a little faith in his offense, so I respect the decision despite the result. But, people who think we should’ve kicked the FG aren’t wrong or weenies or whatever other unnecessary dig you wanna throw at them

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, matt79511 said:

According to Scott Kacsmar, since 1994, there have been 349 instances of a team facing 4th-and-2 or more in the red zone, trailing by 1-3 points, in the fourth quarter. Dallas on Sunday Night was the 3rd such team to go for it- 346 kicked the FG. And they were the only team to go for it outside the 5-yard line.

Analytics obviously do not favor going for it on fourth over kicking/punting in every single situation. Kicking the FG was, removed from context, the right decision, especially since we weren’t pinning them inside the five with a failed conversion. Within context, McCarthy wanted to establish that he is not Garrett and show a little faith in his offense, so I respect the decision despite the result. But, people who think we should’ve kicked the FG aren’t wrong or weenies or whatever other unnecessary dig you wanna throw at them

I 100% wanted to tie the game there. The thought that we still had time if we failed to convert played a role. But you could apply that logic to kicking the fg. We still had time. We should have tied the game. 

Edited by DaBoys

That pass on 4th and 3 was not the worst call of the game. The worst call was the pass on 3rd and 6. That is a passing situation. 

3 minutes ago, TVScout said:

That pass on 4th and 3 was not the worst call of the game. The worst call was the pass on 3rd and 6. That is a passing situation. 

If you've decided that it's 4 down territory then it's not. Even Collinsworth pointed out at the time that it was a good call because of the way the defense was lined up. Rams were playing the pass

4 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

If you've decided that it's 4 down territory then it's not. Even Collinsworth pointed out at the time that it was a good call because of the way the defense was lined up. Rams were playing the pass

At that point of the game it was not 4 down territory. It was just third and long inside field goal range.

2 minutes ago, TVScout said:

At that point of the game it was not 4 down territory. It was just third and long inside field goal range.

It seems MM considered it 4 down territory

Got to remember Mike McCarthy is a "changed coach", spent a year reanalyzing football, etc, etc

Might have to get used to seeing a lot more of this

"...why I say Dak played close to perfect even tho the offense didn't move the ball much or score that many points"

Loller!!!  What a quote.  Who needs yards or points?  Just gimmie perfect QB play.

just thinking about this.. i may be thinking about basketball challenges... but is there not a challenge or review initiated by booth for the "PI call" ? 

2 hours ago, djdunkenstein said:

just thinking about this.. i may be thinking about basketball challenges... but is there not a challenge or review initiated by booth for the "PI call" ? 

They made PI a challenge-able play last year. It was a total disaster. Mainly because the Refs and NYC absolutely refused to overturn any PI calls. No matter how egregious. Then they made it not challenge-able at all for this year. 

10 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

They made PI a challenge-able play last year. It was a total disaster. Mainly because the Refs and NYC absolutely refused to overturn any PI calls. No matter how egregious. Then they made it not challenge-able at all for this year. 

They really should have kept it as a booth review for the final 2 minutes. It was ridiculous because the the coaches challenge aspect of it

Personally, I'm not a big fan of challenges. I like the excitement aspect of a big play good or bad, without having to hold on to my seat to see a replay and decide if it's going to be challenged/come back or not