The Raider Appreciation Thread 📈

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

It's the accumulation of injuries over the last 3 or 4 years, every year he hurts his knee or ankle. Mack and Von Miller are perfect examples for not paying a defensive player too much money. 

Watt missing time two weeks after becoming highest paid defensive player 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We should admit we were wrong going the youth route with the offensive line and bring in some experienced talent. Brandon Scherff would be ideal, get an All-Pro level guard that we know is dependable. 

Third post in different threads. He's just that good to replace the Raiders sorry assed center they have starting now.

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We should admit we were wrong going the youth route with the offensive line and bring in some experienced talent. Brandon Scherff would be ideal, get an All-Pro level guard that we know is dependable. 

I don't know if people have listened to that PFF show on OL in the NFL Gen thread with a guy who used to be OL coach for Cincinnati but he was saying what he looks for are to have 3 very good players on the OL, preferably LT, OC and RT but the aim is to get 3 and you can get by with 2 Andre James's if the others are good. I think this is the way we should be looking. Our LT is sorted, we need our RT to work out then we need a very good IOL guy somewhere. 

Obviously we were hoping that Incognito and Good would be those guys this year and likely Richie is gone next year so I'd be looking at bringing in at least one really good IOL unless one of Simpson, James or whoever the heck the other dude is suddenly stands out. Then we need to ascertain if Leatherwood is going to be a very good player or just a player, he looks promising to me but with a couple big flaws at the moment (interestingly that coach had some things to say on Leatherwood that are really enlightening too), maybe we can work those out. If we think Miller and Leatherwood will be very good then we only really need one guy inside and we've got FA and draft to get that box ticked.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I don't know if people have listened to that PFF show on OL in the NFL Gen thread with a guy who used to be OL coach for Cincinnati but he was saying what he looks for are to have 3 very good players on the OL, preferably LT, OC and RT but the aim is to get 3 and you can get by with 2 Andre James's if the others are good. I think this is the way we should be looking. Our LT is sorted, we need our RT to work out then we need a very good IOL guy somewhere. 

Obviously we were hoping that Incognito and Good would be those guys this year and likely Richie is gone next year so I'd be looking at bringing in at least one really good IOL unless one of Simpson, James or whoever the heck the other dude is suddenly stands out. Then we need to ascertain if Leatherwood is going to be a very good player or just a player, he looks promising to me but with a couple big flaws at the moment (interestingly that coach had some things to say on Leatherwood that are really enlightening too), maybe we can work those out. If we think Miller and Leatherwood will be very good then we only really need one guy inside and we've got FA and draft to get that box ticked.

Losing Good was such a huge blow. I have very little doubt if he was able to play these 3 games that at the very least he would be giving us Gabe Jackson 2019-2020 level play, and potentially be at least a little upgrade over that. But it wasn't just his on field ability at one spot, it was the insurance he provided at RG, LG, and RT should injuries hit there or as insurance in case Leatherwood just totally isn't up to the task and felt he needed to move inside or to the bench for a time during his rookie season. 

I would feel a whole lot better about this OL if it were Miller, Simpson, James, Good, and Leatherwood because I would feel at least we have Miller and Good at spots next to the rookies/inexperienced guys to help ease some of the pitfalls there. 

Relying on Incognito so heavily is a much more obvious move backfiring from the onset IMO and one a lot of us worried about coming into the season. Even with the idea of ignoring how consistently banged up he has been in recent years, you can't simply look at his level of play (which has been very good when he has been in there admittedly) and focus on that exclusively. One because injuries rarely ever get better or less common with age, but also the achilles injury is such a significant one that a guy Richies age may very well never be able to reaach that level of play on the field again, let alone all the other injuries guys are more susceptible to after tearing their achilles. 

Ultimately, I still have a decent amount of faith in Simpson and Leatherwood. I think both guys can be quality starters at their positions, and in all likelihood will see a fair amount of growth and improvement in weeks 8-17. I like a lot of the tools both guys have to work with. Both guys showed a lot of flashes in college against good competition, and both guys are still so incredibly young and often times the only way guys get better is by getting out there and playing and taking their lumps. Obviously I still think Leatherwood was a reach and would have preferred we went a different route, but it's not like he was a scrub at Alabama that would have went undrafted. He has all the tools you could ask for. And in fairness both guys have had their bad plays, and aren't as consistent as we need to be, but both guys have also shown some positives and things to build on. 

James I am much more uncertain about. A lot of the inexperience and needing playing time can apply to him as well, and I hope he proves us all wrong, but to this point he can't even do the most rudimentary tasks of his position with any sort of consistency.

Like you said though, if Simpson and Leatherwood can be what we drafted them to be, and what they have the tools to be and grow and get better down the stretch with more playing time I think we can survive and play well enough to win games with them, Miller being rock solid at LT and the James and Eluemunor level players at C and RG. At least for this season. The real problem is that we simply can't afford many more injuries on the OL with the bodies we have, forget about if guys don't improve like we hope/expect. Any more injuries could be just too big of a hurdle to overcome. And that's a tough ask with 14 games left to play. I personally am not counting on Richie playing at all this season. If he can come back and play even close to the level he has when he's been on the field for us recently that would be absolutely huge for the OL from the on field play of the unit instantly and giving us some breathing room depth wise. But that seems like wishful thinking at best at this point.

Hopefully in the off season though if need be we can add reinforcements to the interior along with growth from the young guys and get the OL level of play back to a much more consistent level over the long haul. But for this season we desperately need the young guys to get better each week, and for the guys still healthy currently to stay that way. 

Edited by Mr Raider
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Dont know Washington salary cap situation but I’d be all over Scherff and Good they could mask James and carry him 

• Like 1

Just some interesting stats through the first 3 games. 

The safety forced by Hayward was his first reception allowed on the season. Pretty solid way to give up your first catch haha. 

The Raiders had 10 plays of 20 or more yards against the Dolphins yesterday. That is tied for the most such plays by any team in the NFL in the past 5 seasons. 

On the season Brian Edwards leads the entire NFL in receiving yards (163 yards on 7 receptions) in the 4th quarter or overtime. Second in the NFL? Henry Ruggs III (with 130 yards on 5 receptions).

On the season Derek Carr has 1203 passing yards through 3 weeks. Making him 4th all time in NFL history in passing yardage through 3 weeks, including making him one of only 4 QBs to throw for 1200+ yards in their first 3 games. 

Carr also now has 5 straight games (dating back to week 16 of 2020) of 325 passing yards or more, joining him with Rich Gannon (six games in 02), Drew Brees (five games in 2011), and Kurt Warner (five games in 2000 & five games in 2008) as the only 4 players in NFL history to throw for at least 325 yards in 5 straight games.

Lastly for Carr, he is the only QB in the NFL to throw for 300 or more yards in every single game this season. 

The Raiders are the 2nd team since OT was instituted in 1974 to start their season 3-0 with 2 wins coming in OT. The other was the 1995 Kansas City Chiefs who finished that season 13-3.