The Raider Appreciation Thread 📈

RaidersAreOne

Guenther has been a huge disappointment.  He disguises nothing on defense and isn’t getting anymore pressure from our front 7 than we had last year.  As soon as we have a lead he turns our D into prevent, it is really frustrating watching our D line up against the opposing O.  It’s pretty obvious what we are doing on most plays, we will get exposed badly if we don’t do anything to adjust on D. 

43 minutes ago, daineraider said:

Guenther has been a huge disappointment.  He disguises nothing on defense and isn’t getting anymore pressure from our front 7 than we had last year.  As soon as we have a lead he turns our D into prevent, it is really frustrating watching our D line up against the opposing O.  It’s pretty obvious what we are doing on most plays, we will get exposed badly if we don’t do anything to adjust on D. 

One of the biggest disappointments for me so far this season is Rod Marinelli. Our defensive line looked way better last season with Brenston Buckner as our DL coach and we let him go because Marinelli was supposed to be some sort of DL guru. 

Through the first 2 games we have 1 sack, 4 hurries, and 5 QB hits.

Bucker is now with Arizona and through 2 games they have 7 sacks, 7 hurries, and 5 QB hits. 

40 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

One of the biggest disappointments for me so far this season is Rod Marinelli. Our defensive line looked way better last season with Brenston Buckner as our DL coach and we let him go because Marinelli was supposed to be some sort of DL guru. 

Through the first 2 games we have 1 sack, 4 hurries, and 5 QB hits.

Bucker is now with Arizona and through 2 games they have 7 sacks, 7 hurries, and 5 QB hits. 

Bucker has way more talent he’s working with though. Pass Rush wise we have probably the worst four in the league. Not disrespecting Maxx but his motor is super hot and cold, mostly cold. Plus I’m talking about the four overall as a unit. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Bucker has way more talent he’s working with though. Pass Rush wise we have probably the worst four in the league. Not disrespecting Maxx but his motor is super hot and cold, mostly cold. Plus I’m talking about the four overall as a unit. 

We had 32 sacks last season though. And our DL should be better this year with guys like Hurst, Ferrell, Key, and Crosby a year further in their development and the additions of Collins and Nassib. 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Should have kept Buckner around and fired Paul G and replaced him with Rod. 

Well, the D has done just enough in the two games so far without ever looking good, its still very early and New Orleans do have a very well regarded offence and a really good offensive coach in Payton so I'm prepared to give them a few more weeks before casting harsh judgement especially as they're young with many new cogs. They really need to start getting pressure though, that will help every unit in a trickle down effect. 

Trayvon Mullen had the second highest coverage grade for CB's last week according to PFF. He gave up 1 catch for 8 yards on 4 targets with 4 pass break ups and a 39.8 QB rating when targeted. 

On the season he has given up 5 catches (10 targets), 36 yards (7.2 ypc), 1 TD, and 5 pass break ups. 

• Like 1

Trayvon Mullen is PFF's highest graded corner in press man coverage. 

“(Mullen) has been a standout player thus far — particularly in press-man coverage, where his length and physicality come in handy.

On such snaps, Mullen has recorded a 90.8 coverage grade, which leads all cornerbacks. For perspective, the next best sits at 86.9, and then there is only one other corner to produce a grade above 80.0. Mullen has seen five targets when playing press-man and allowed just one to be caught while recording three forced incompletions.”

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 10:25 AM, Darbsk said:

Well, the D has done just enough in the two games so far without ever looking good, its still very early and New Orleans do have a very well regarded offence and a really good offensive coach in Payton so I'm prepared to give them a few more weeks before casting harsh judgement especially as they're young with many new cogs. They really need to start getting pressure though, that will help every unit in a trickle down effect. 

I guess chemistry and communication takes time. Zoom meetings don't replace hanging with the boys on the field and seeing how they act/react...HUMMM

17 minutes ago, G said:

I guess chemistry and communication takes time. Zoom meetings don't replace hanging with the boys on the field and seeing how they act/react...HUMMM

I think we have to allow some leeway given the unique off season but we are three games in now and we should start seeing some obvious progress. Ferrell, Key, Hankins, Hurst, Crosby, Morrow, Mullen, Lawson, Joyner, Harris and Abram were all in the scheme last year so they ought to know what we're doing by now. Collins, Littleton, Kwiatkoski, Arnette, McMillan I think are the new guys that have got significant time and deserve some patience. I think by the bye week we really need to see marked improvement (even given the tough opponents) or Guenther should be on a very hot seat. As others have said, we've invested a lot of draft capital and significant FA money into the D so we need to start seeing results now not hearing more excuses.

• Like 1