Random Thoughts - Regular season edition

dll2000

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Return of the FB across NFL is bad news for Bears.  

Roquan Smith and DT are not equipped for lead ISO.  

Even Urlacher struggled with it even though he was a monster.  He was a converted safety.  Why he loved playing with Ted Washington.   

Singletary and Butkus ate it up.

This was one reason I was in favor of Kwit over DT. Though he had a pec injury last week so the durability point I gave him hasn't started well. When Hicks went down we had a massive drop in physicality from the DL and with Goldman missing it is much the same. 

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

This was one reason I was in favor of Kwit over DT. Though he had a pec injury last week so the durability point I gave him hasn't started well. When Hicks went down we had a massive drop in physicality from the DL and with Goldman missing it is much the same. 

Well Kwiatkoski already hurt his pec this year, so that may be a problem for him moving forward

On 9/15/2020 at 1:21 PM, topwop1 said:

Tough call but if I were the GM I would extend him now. 

Robinson should have been extended ALREADY. Not doing so is a really ridiculous dereliction by Pace. The only explanation is that he feels Miller (his pick, as opposed to his FA signing) will rise up and make Robinson expendable. 

Whatever the explanation, it's inexcusable this hasn't been done, or is in the process of being done.  

10 hours ago, dll2000 said:

18 million for ARob is fair.  

Maybe. Something in that ballpark, anyway. He makes like $14 mil now, as it is, right?

9 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Return of the FB across NFL is bad news for Bears.  

Roquan Smith and DT are not equipped for lead ISO.  

That's an overreaction, and a bad take. 

13 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

That's one play, dude. They're professional linebackers. To assume a fullback automatically blows them up is silly. 

That isn’t the point.  Point is Smith and Trevathan are block avoidance LBs.   They are surgeons not blacksmiths.

They will make plays still of course, but they thrive when protected and can struggle when they aren’t.    

A FB is a ideally a more nimble blocker than a guard and harder to avoid.  ILBs for decades were trained to take that ISO block on in the hole in order to Stop that play.   That isn’t what they are set up for.

Smith is cat quick though.  He can get it done more often than not with RB style jump cuts.  DT I worry more about.  

• Like 2

So I think I mentioned that I was looking at jumping into a company that had a ton of room for advancement a while back. Went to the plant as a guest to watch the process, met with the Area Manager down to a bunch if the Sanitors and talked things over with my wife and kids. I'm going to sell off my construction business to my brother and jump in. I just signed and sent back the acceptance letter and will be moving to Louisiana for 4-5 months for their training program, then will be able to apply all over the US to run a site. 

Excited for the transition and to get a job that will have far better benefits than as an independent contractor - which is zero aside from self funded. lol 

Within 2-3 years I may be able to damn near double what I'm making right now.  

• Like 2

On 9/20/2020 at 5:41 AM, dll2000 said:

That isn’t the point.  Point is Smith and Trevathan are block avoidance LBs.   They are surgeons not blacksmiths.

They will make plays still of course, but they thrive when protected and can struggle when they aren’t.    

A FB is a ideally a more nimble blocker than a guard and harder to avoid.  ILBs for decades were trained to take that ISO block on in the hole in order to Stop that play.   That isn’t what they are set up for.

Smith is cat quick though.  He can get it done more often than not with RB style jump cuts.  DT I worry more about.  

Yes, I don't like the 3-4 defense, either. 

11 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

So I think I mentioned that I was looking at jumping into a company that had a ton of room for advancement a while back. Went to the plant as a guest to watch the process, met with the Area Manager down to a bunch if the Sanitors and talked things over with my wife and kids. I'm going to sell off my construction business to my brother and jump in. I just signed and sent back the acceptance letter and will be moving to Louisiana for 4-5 months for their training program, then will be able to apply all over the US to run a site. 

Excited for the transition and to get a job that will have far better benefits than as an independent contractor - which is zero aside from self funded. lol 

Within 2-3 years I may be able to damn near double what I'm making right now.  

giphy.gif

• Like 1