Random Thoughts - Regular season edition

dll2000

Random thought.  Why does the Bears coaching staff let Patterson take the ball out of the end zone on every damn kick off?

I get that you signed him partially for his special teams prowess but this is becoming more of a hindrance each week to a bad offense that could use those extra 10 yards in field position.

IMO this is just going to be another nail in the coffin for Nagy come the day he is fired.

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Random thought.  Why does the Bears coaching staff let Patterson take the ball out of the end zone on every damn kick off?

I get that you signed him partially for his special teams prowess but this is becoming more of a hindrance each week to a bad offense that could use those extra 10 yards in field position.

IMO this is just going to be another nail in the coffin for Nagy come the day he is fired.

are you referring to the guy that averages over 29 yards/return? if you take out the guys who have only had 1 return all year, he's 3rd in the nfl. if you look at players that are in double digit returns, he's number one. 

I'm not sure what extra 10 yards you're referring to, but CP84 is a threat and should always take the ball out - i'll take starting at the 20 yard line every once for that.

Playing around on Sportrac cap management tool.  Man the bears are in cap hell in 2021.  5 million of cap space.  So many bad contracts. Danny T, Jimmy Graham, Buster Skrine.  Robert Quinn 14 million in cap and I haven’t even noticed he’s on the field.  Fuller is a good CB but a 20 million dollar cap hit.  A-Rob is a goner. They wont be able to sign him.  It will be interesting to see what they do.    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Because Tabor is a terrible coach and a wimp

1 hour ago, The_Romen said:

Because Tabor is a terrible coach and a wimp

I do believe Tabor sucks

3 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Playing around on Sportrac cap management tool.  Man the bears are in cap hell in 2021.  5 million of cap space.  So many bad contracts. Danny T, Jimmy Graham, Buster Skrine.  Robert Quinn 14 million in cap and I haven’t even noticed he’s on the field.  Fuller is a good CB but a 20 million dollar cap hit.  A-Rob is a goner. They wont be able to sign him.  It will be interesting to see what they do.    

Can't Skrine and Graham be cut for next to nothing? IIRC Trevathan is essentially guaranteed to be here next year. Everyone here knows my thoughts on Quinn by now; pressures are fine but every now and again he needs to make a big play, especially at that cap hit. Fuller is really good. I believe they've moved some of his hit around the last few years, hence why 2021's looks so bad. Maybe they've seen enough of JJ to let Fuller go (and then Pace can take another CB which he's probably already to).

3 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

With the Devin Hester rule and kicking off from basically mid field guys like Patterson are obsolete.  Why pay him 5 million a year when you can stick some rookie back there to let the ball go out the end zone and start on the 25 every time.  

I like Patterson a lot actually. His money isn't huge where it's a detriment to signing someone else. I truly feel he's a threat and has to be gameplanned for. It'd be nice if the blocking wasn't crap.

• Like 1

For as bad as our QB and overall offensive situation is right now I'm kind of glad they didn't spend big money to sign Bridgewater.

I mean he's just ok but nothing special in my honest opinion..which I already knew anyway... but he has a tendency to throw untimely interceptions just from what I've watched of him this season.

To state it simply, he wouldn't have been the answer here either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

For as bad as our QB and overall offensive situation is right now I'm kind of glad they didn't spend big money to sign Bridgewater.

I mean he's just ok but nothing special in my honest opinion..which I already knew anyway... but he has a tendency to throw untimely interceptions just from what I've watched of him this season.

To state it simply, he wouldn't have been the answer here either.

Only way the O will ever be good is to spend big on the OL and get a QB. Can't spend 2nd/3rd/4th round picks on RB/WR only to have the QB on his *** or the RB getting hit for TFL every play. Hopefully Pace will start to understand that.

Mock drafts are always pointless, doubly so this early in the season..... but:

Using draft network's sim:   *Disclaimer, I've only actually deep dived on the tape for exactly one of these dudes, and half of them are just off TDN's own bio/descriptions.

1.(pick 25) Daniel Faalele -OT Minnesota.

6ft 8in, 400lbs  Relatively inexperienced but extremely high upside prospect, converted Rugby player... Gargantuan size, but mobility enough to get to the second level. TDN has him rated around 38th overall.

2. (pick 57) Zach Wilson-QB BYU

I'm pretty sure this is my choice at QB this year as I don't see us being in the Lawrence sweepstakes.  TDN has him rated currently at 47.... I'm actually more worried he ends up going between 10-15.

3. (pick 88) Deonte Brown - OG -Bama

6ft 4in, 318lbs... "Beefy and wide-bodied frame he exhibits an outstanding amount of strength at the point of attack. Physically, Brown is an effective run blocker with lots of attractive skills" Bye bye Coward/Ifedi

4. (pick 165) Landon Young-OT Kentucky

6ft 7in, 305lbs  "Massive frame and offers plenty of power at the point of attack. Kentucky leaned heavily on the run game in 2019 and Young was a key asset as the team implemented a slew of power"

5. (pick 203) Jaelon Darden- WR North Texas

5ft9in 170lbs  "A stat collecting machine, he was the go to target for the Mean Green offense and despite everyone in the stadium knowing where the ball was going, he still managed to produce. Darden has elite levels of twitch in that he can accelerate from 0-100 in the blink of an eye, but also decelerate back to zero at the snap of a finger"

I'll be honest, at this point I mostly wanted a kick returner, but if he can be another Mooney draft diamond as a speedster, then wonderful... I wanted YAC and a deep threat potential. Wilson can hit deeper passes, and I expect to be able to FORCE defenses to try and stack the box vs all the BFDs I just added to the OL.

6. (pick 216) Javian Hawkins -RB Louisville

5ft9in 196lbs.... "Lightning in a bottle. Has blazing speed and rare acceleration. There aren’t many foot races he can’t win. Dynamic in space and found tremendous production working off-tackle" This is a later round shot in the dark, and I expect he'll be a PS player unless he really shows out. He's only logged 4 catches, which is something he's going to need to not suck at to be a speedy guy at the NFL level. That said, the speed/agility potential is there... and "Logged seven 100 yard rushing games as a redshirt freshman including against Notre Dame, Clemson, Kentucky and Mississippi State" so he's been effective vs some good defenses.

7. (pick 221) Robert Cooper -IDL Florida State

6ft2in 332lbs  "Owns the line of scrimmage as a run defender. Eats space and occupies blocks but he’s also terrific and finding the football and finishing. Exceptional tackler and he does a great job tackling outside of his frame which was not expected given his stature. A single block won’t move him and his anchor is stout against doubles. Not a penetration style player but he routinely resets the line of scrimmage."   Backup Eddie Goldman. Nothing more,

Nitpicks on the draft.....

1. I REALLY wanted an ILB. There was a guy in the 3rd/4th range I was curious about named Charles Snowden *6ft 7in, 235lbs.... because the guy has some pretty obvious freakshow levels of length, and he apparently uses it well in coverage and as a tackler.

2. I think we have to trade up next year's first rounder to get both a first round OT AND Zach Wilson under center. It honestly probably ends up costing even more than that, but the OL depth in this draft goes SUPER FAST every time I ran the sim. We currently need 3 dudes  and a QB all within the first 3 rounds.We are going to have to make a move, even before realizing that we might have to make a move just for the qb with our first pick.

3. I gotta deep dive into the RBs a bit more, or find out what we have in Peirce. Journey Brown was a -very- intriguing option early 4th round but we don't have a 4th round pick, and can't afford to use our 3rd rounder.  I went for Hawkins because he offered something we had with Whyte and a general desire for more speed, but Brown also has that speed, while ALSO being bigger/more physical than Monty, which would compliment our new "big boy" line better.

• Like 1

@Epyon

Pretty sure Wilson's going round 1, like you said

Deonte Brown- maybe I'm thinking of another Alabama iOL but I think he was suspended this year already, maybe even once before too. I doubt Pace takes a chance on someone like that based on his history

Faaelele has loads of potential but I'd rather have someone not so raw there

Last thing- keep in mind the Bears will probably have 3-4 6th rounders this year due to comp picks

• Like 1