Rams Extend Ramsey

HTTRDynasty

7 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Lets forget the metrics for a second.... focus on the eye test.

The eye test says Goff is absolutely fine when he's protected, but move him off his spot and he struggles mightily unlike Wentz, Mahomes, Jackson, Wilson, etc.

I want my QB to be able to make something out of nothing if everything is going array around him. That is what the NFL is moving towards. Quarterbacks who can make plays outside of the pocket and structure of the offense.

Goff is a fine and even good QB if everything is going right around him. With his coach in his ear up before the headset cuts out, good receivers, and well protected he can put up points and do what is needed in McVay's offense, but really he isn't a top 10 QB and he holds back McVay's offense from its true potential.

That's a tough standard, those are freaks when it comes to plays breaking down. 2 of those might be the best the NFL has ever seen on that front. I think it's unrealistic to expect QBs to be like those.

What is ALSO unrealistic though is expecting to pay a QB that can't do those things money like he can. As you allude to, he needs a lot more help than the Wilsons and Mahomes' etc. I give him credit for hanging in there in games where he has live bullets flying around his head (I say he's tough and cool), but I also can't get the image of McVey telling him what's going on in front of him whilst he has gormless look on his face.

Good young QB and worth drafting early and calling him your franchise QB - not worth tying your books up and paying him like a top 10 QB, IMO. I think he's 4th highest paid? 

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

That's a tough standard, those are freaks when it comes to plays breaking down. 2 of those might be the best the NFL has ever seen on that front. I think it's unrealistic to expect QBs to be like those.

What is ALSO unrealistic though is expecting to pay a QB that can't do those things money like he can. As you allude to, he needs a lot more help than the Wilsons and Mahomes' etc. I give him credit for hanging in there in games where he has live bullets flying around his head (I say he's tough and cool), but I also can't get the image of McVey telling him what's going on in front of him whilst he has gormless look on his face.

Good young QB and worth drafting early and calling him your franchise QB - not worth tying your books up and paying him like a top 10 QB, IMO. I think he's 4th highest paid? 

I feel you, but I think my criticism is fair. I know I used some pretty good QBs names to make my point, but I stand by it. Those QBs even when they are paid can make something out of nothing, so lesser talent at OL or weapons can be overcame a bit more easily.

Goff is by no means a bad QB. He deserves to be a starter and probably lands somewhere inside the top half of the league. He is just limited and that hurts them a lot more now that McVay's offense has a lot more tape and they have less cap room to build around him. As an Eagles fan I am already feeling those effects on my own team and will only feel them more next season when we are gonna have to make tough financial decisions to get under the cap.

And, Goff is 5th in the league for average salary and 3rd for cap hit in 2020 only behind Dak Prescott (franchise tag) and Russell Wilson.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

11 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Fair enough, I may be underrating the other parts of the secondary. If they are solid though, I wonder how the wage structure is fitted around them (some are on rookie contracts presumably)

JJJ is likely going to be allowed to walk (cap-space permitting, they may tag him, but ultimately I think they'll probably let him sign long-term elsewhere), though Terrell Burgess this year - I make a habit of not counting rookies (barring 1st rounders) as expected contributors; depth sure, but I don't expect anything significant out of them until Y2 and if we do get it then I'm pleasantly surprised.  We also took Jordan Fuller in the 6th, but I'm not expecting much more than an ST regular and reserve safety out of him.

Rapp, Long, obviously Burgess and Fuller, Darious Williams, JJJ (for the time being), and Nick Scott are all on rookie deals; honestly, Ramsey and Troy Hill are the only members of our secondary on 2nd-deals currently with Hill having signed a 2-year extension last year and schedule to be an FA again next year.  We'll undoubtedly draft a CB at some point next year, but we've filled out our secondary rather interestingly with a lot of guys who are technically or whose principle experience has been playing safety.  I'll definitely be interested in seeing how it unfolds, but it does suggest that they're building around Ramsey's ability to lockdown the opposition's WR1 and then having guys capable of swarming in zone  coverage on the other receivers.