2020 Baltimore Ravens Roster Tracker

coordinator0

18 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Interesting that we still haven't seen a corresponding roster move for Tavon yet.

Could be a good thing. Could mean the team decided to bring in a veteran to try out and put him into COVID protocol. But weird that it wouldn’t be announced. Perhaps there’s some negotiation going on and if the team can’t get said player at the correct price they’ll just decide to move onto the backup plan and move up Dorsey from the PS for his first time of eligibility as they bide more time in negotiations with a veteran corner. 

Edited by diamondbull424

47 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Could be a good thing. Could mean the team decided to bring in a veteran to try out and put him into COVID protocol. But weird that it wouldn’t be announced. Perhaps there’s some negotiation going on and if the team can’t get said player at the correct price they’ll just decide to move onto the backup plan and move up Dorsey from the PS for his first time of eligibility as they bide more time in negotiations with a veteran corner. 

Yea, good call. No reason to promote someone from the PS only to waive them again if you bring in an external candidate

So I was wrong earlier when I said we only had 5 corners on the roster, including practice squad.

Well wrong might not be the best word. Simply misinformed. As I read this article

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/ravens-announce-16-man-practice-squad

It specifically details that we only have one corner on the PS. Only Terrell Bonds, listed as a guard by Clifton Brown, is actually a corner. I feel much better about our corner situation now considering this information. Either him or Dorsey could be the next Darious Williams and we simply wouldn’t know because we didn’t have a preseason to see them stand out. Who knows.

As an aside: Clifton Brown needs to be replaced by Ravens. He consistently has tons of cringeworthy grammatical errors in his article (not just a few misspelled words, but literally will have entire sentences edited out). He’s honestly such a bad look. If diversity is the idea, I’m sure there’s got to be tons of better options out there. He’s a good guy, just not good at what he does.

edit: I remember Terrell Bonds had success last season in training camp, I just didn’t pay enough attention to his name, just looked over the positional breakdown of the players. I’d feel more confident moving him to the 53 man roster than Dorsey, who I can’t find much information on outside Of the video I posted.

Hopefully the team doesn’t continue to use Marlon inside and at least looks to see what they have in Bonds there. I’d rather see Bonds at nickel than Averett on the boundary. We already know Averett is a walking first down given, I don’t know if Bonds can be any worse... and if he can, I’m sure not by much.

Edited by diamondbull424

Speaking of Tavon, man, I really feel for this guy...  I was Tavon, back in college, same position, same toolset.  Long story short: series of repeated freak injuries that were not my fault robbed me of what could've been.   Have never really come to peace with that.  At least Tavon got locked in with the $$$$, and might still do something somewhere someday.  I just sympathize like hell for that guy.  And people will [wrongly] criticize him for being fragile, he'll have that label on him unfairly for the rest of his career.  

That said, I am a huge fan of Jimmy Smith, thought he was underrated and under-appreciated last year.  I was beyond thrilled when they re-signed him, now it looks like a damn smart move.  After listening to Jimmy in one of the mid-season podcasts last year, I figured he might prefer to stay for a hometown discount rather than start somewhere else.  Both he & the Ravens lucked into a win-win there.

• Like 2

I don't really see Tavon going anywhere. He's a Top 5 SCB in this league, maybe he'll just be Top 10 post injury but that's still a very valuable commodity. We'd only save 3 Mill by cutting him in 2021, so even if the Coaches/FO & Team weren't in love with him(Which they are)- it wouldn't make a lot of sense to move on from him. He'll be given the opportunity to rehab once again and will no doubt start for us in the slot whenever he gets a clean bill of health. 

Jimmy is year to year at this point, and no young CBs on the roster have established themselves beyond our two starters(Humph,JuiceMan). Cornerback will no doubt join IOL, WR, and EDGE as a big draft need. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I don't really see Tavon going anywhere. He's a Top 5 SCB in this league, maybe he'll just be Top 10 post injury but that's still a very valuable commodity. We'd only save 3 Mill by cutting him in 2021, so even if the Coaches/FO & Team weren't in love with him(Which they are)- it wouldn't make a lot of sense to move on from him. He'll be given the opportunity to rehab once again and will no doubt start for us in the slot whenever he gets a clean bill of health. 

Jimmy is year to year at this point, and no young CBs on the roster have established themselves beyond our two starters(Humph,JuiceMan). Cornerback will no doubt join IOL, WR, and EDGE as a big draft need. 

I wonder what Jimmy Smith’s money situation is like. I mean at 32 he’s right around that retirement age for any cornerback not named Aenis Williams and Champ Bailey. I wouldn’t be surprised if we win a SB this season that he decides to call it a career, going out on top.

So yeah, hanging onto Tavon would certainly make sense. But I don’t think he’s got the kind of claim on the nickel spot as he’s had before. I doubt the team will want to be paying ~$20m on a nickel corner (Humphrey). They’re going to give a lot of snaps to some young corners in preseason for sure.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I wonder if they might be able to work something out with him. Add a small/minimal amount of money to the end of his deal for a year or two to stretch out his remaining salary. Unlikely that he would get anything remotely close to a big pay day on the open market (after missing two straight seasons with injury) and would allow the team to keep him around without cutting him, giving them some additional financial flexibility. Seems like it could be a mutually beneficial solution.

• Like 1

I was a huge Tavon Young fan from the draft, and so excited we got him. The first year he even played out of position mostly, and still performed well as a rookie. Then he got injured in his second season, only to rebound stronger in his third year where he got his contract. Then he got the neck injury and now the ACL. That will be only 2 years completely healthy and 3 years on IR - but in those two years, he was one of the biggest playmakers in the league at his position, shutting down receivers, having tackles for loss, interceptions and fumble recoveries for TD's. 

He should be around for 2021, but if he isn't ready or get injured again, then there is a decent cap savings with few deadmoney if we cut him prior to the 2022 season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

I bet we’re in there like swim wear on Carr. Veteran, knows the defense already. And more than all that he DESERVES to be on this championship run we’re about to start cooking up. What’s more in the other thread we were talking about a guy who can execute well in zone coverage, that’s Brandon Carr, very disciplined on that front. I don’t expect him to not get toasted by speed in man coverage, but I expect that he would make for an above average safety if Elliot goes down and he’d make for someone that can play on a similar level to Averrett when trading speed for experience and superior coverage instincts.

• Like 1