2020 Baltimore Ravens Roster Tracker

coordinator0

13 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

My guess is that if anybody thought Worley was worth anything the Cowboys would have found a trade partner. He's an established player at this point. If he was one of the weak points on Dallas' abstolutely atrocious defense he isn't helping anything in Baltimore. Bodies ≠ depth.

While your point is well-taken , it could be that teams may be interested, but not wan to part with any asset for him (slightly above replacement level). Further, his weekly salaries are above the minimum, so it could be that teams are more interested in him at the minimum (offsetting what Dallas would owe) vs. taking on the remaining liability with 2021 cap space (and by extension 2020 space that can be rolled) at such a premium.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

JK at almost 7 a clip. Has likely emerged as the lead back atp too, coming off his first 100+ game. Still don't know why he didn't get the chance to finish off that drive....

Edit: Meant this for the Rookie thread.

And Browns fans had the nerve to laugh when I said our running backs would be better than theirs when considering the overall depth. Sure they’ve got Hunt and Chubb, but Dobbins IMO will is as good a RB talent as Nick Chubb. Between Ingram, Gus, and Hill... I’m not taking Hunt over the depth and overall talent they provide. And lo and behold, both of our respective starting RBs went down, but our running backs just hung 265 rushing yards on the best rushing defense in the NFL going into this game, while their rushing attack has falling off a bit.

Speaking of our rushing attack, on an unrelated note... on a positive note, we’re back at #1 for team rushing. We lead Arizona by roughly 19 yards/game. Just mentioning this because of our discussion in the offseason about the record for most consecutive team rushing crowns.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

And Browns fans had the nerve to laugh when I said our running backs would be better than theirs when considering the overall depth. Sure they’ve got Hunt and Chubb, but Dobbins IMO will is as good a RB talent as Nick Chubb. Between Ingram, Gus, and Hill... I’m not taking Hunt over the depth and overall talent they provide. And lo and behold, both of our respective starting RBs went down, but our running backs just hung 265 rushing yards on the best rushing defense in the NFL going into this game, while their rushing attack has falling off a bit.

IDK. JK seems like the truth, but I think Hunt might still top Edwards/Hill. That said- we haven't seen Hill at all this year. So who knows?

To the bolded's point- 

28 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Speaking of our rushing attack, on an unrelated note... on a positive note, we’re back at #1 for team rushing. We lead Arizona by roughly 19 yards/game. Just mentioning this because of our discussion in the offseason about the record for most consecutive team rushing crowns.

Yea, I was thinking about this. Looked rough for a stretch there. Let's hope we can build off of this latest performance. Despite the disappointing ending.

• Like 1

It is one game where it was a success, but combined with the other games, I think we have seen that Gus as the hammer and Queen on zone and pitch plays is a great combo. Not because Dobbins can't work inside, but is explosive ability is a great way to keep defenses honest protecting the edge instead of crashing in on the dive play as we have seen the earlier games this season.

10 hours ago, Danand said:

It is one game where it was a success, but combined with the other games, I think we have seen that Gus as the hammer and Queen on zone and pitch plays is a great combo. Not because Dobbins can't work inside, but is explosive ability is a great way to keep defenses honest protecting the edge instead of crashing in on the dive play as we have seen the earlier games this season.

Disagree completely. One of Dobbins biggest runs came from him running it inside. He’s not a hammer but he’s got excellent explosiveness, patience, contact balance, and vision. Using him like he’s a Justice Hill would be a supreme waste of his ability.

It would also make him one dimensional in his usage and thus easier for defenders to stop. They can easily tell that with him in there he we’re attacking the edges of the defense and they can plan for that with a wide 9 rush that would best protect against that type of run as well as any PA pass off of it.

However using him in every capacity makes our offense far less predictable and it also is not wasting his ability.

I think two things can be true. Gus Edwards does help to tire out the defense and is at his best inside, while JKD has explosiveness that when used inside takes the defense off balance and makes it harder for them to react.

Even when Dobbins was stuffed his contact balance gave him 2-3 yards extra. But when he was not met in the backfield, he was 4 yards down the field before the defense could even react to his explosiveness.

You use this man in any and every capacity, otherwise we should’ve just drafted Denzel Mims in the 2nd and been done with it.

Edited by diamondbull424
Autocorrect

9 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

It would also make him one dimensional in his usage and thus easier for defenders to stop.

I agree with this regarding everything on our offense. As an example, I'm sure someone has broken out the amount we run with Boyle and Ricard on the field vs other formations and am curious to see what the splits are.

Edited by M.10.E

I never suggested only using Dobbins on the outside. I just mentioned he has the better ability to be used on outside runs and if they want to use them in tandem, it makes more sense to use them to their strengths and Gus works better inside

10 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

I agree with this regarding everything on our offense. As an example, I'm sure someone has broken out the amount we run with Boyle and Ricard on the field vs other formations and am curious to see what the splits are.

Yeah that but I’ll be quite honest I don’t mind that quite as much, considering I hate seeing them releasing into routes.

Honestly I don’t think this scheme benefits Lamar as much as media talking heads regurgitated last season. Lamar would be just as dangerous in facilitating a rushing boon for our offense (IMO) if he ran from 11 personnel as he is with 22 personnel. Early returns on that is we definitely have been just as effective. Whereas any QB is going to be far less effective passing from such personnel splits unless their RBs are Marshall Faulk and Alvin Kamara and/or their TEs are Gronk and Andrews.

Asking Lamar to get 1st downs with the likes of Andrews (doubled), Boykin, Ricard, Boyle, and Gus/JKD is tomfoolery. Yet he’s somehow managed it on enough cases.

Boyle and Ricard might be the best blocking TE and FB in the league respectively (at least in competition for it), but no one is mistaking them for legit passing attack weapons. I’d rather us go strength on strength when they’re in there. Because while an opposing team know it’s a run, we have so many run concepts we can throw at a defense that I don’t really much think them anticipating the run will reduce its overall effectiveness, at least not to the point where trotting out the above receiver combinations to offset the predictability provides a legitimate boon to our passing attack.

I’d rather we just use more 11 personnel in games but then hit the defense with the 22 personnel in special circumstances, like 3rd and short or 1st and long, or when were up big and trying to salt away the game. They’ll know a run is coming, but won’t know which one.

Whereas ideally we put more 11 personnel out there and run and pass from it pretty evenly, we’ve got enough great blocking WRs. Stack some combination of Boykin, Snead, and/or Duvernay inside with WR bunches and Hollywood outside and run from that as much as we pass from it.

Those WR options might not be the holy grail of weapons, but they’re respectable weapons that any coach worth their salt should be able to build an effective passing game around when properly used.

I thought THAT was the next evolution of our offensive scheme and thus why I was so stuck on us drafting Denzel Mims... because he’s a great blocker, great WR, and WANTED to play for our offense (lol). Either way Mims or not, Duvernay has the speed and YAC ability, Boykin has the speed and athleticism, and Snead has the route savviness to be effective in a spread passing attack. They’re however wasted in an offense that seeks to run 12/21/22 personnel on like 90% of snaps (making this up, but it definitely wouldn’t shock me if that’s the usage splits).

So all this to say I agree with your point. Though only if it means less 12/21/22 personnel on the field and more 11 personnel. From that personnel we can spread Dobbins or bring him back in for the read option... like we should’ve done on that 4th down play on our 2nd to last possession (such a stupid playcall).