Week 1 - Rams vs. Cowboys - SNF

RamRod

33 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Also, the Cowboys have one of the Top 3 OL's in the league, and I'd posit the Steelers and Bills as the only teams they wouldn't be able to run at-will against.

Petros Papadakis (much as I loathe the guy personally) hit the nail right on the head in the post-game show on NBC, Staley is still finetuning the scheme, but the big thing he's brought over from working under Fangio is the same thing that gave McVay fits as an OC - an inability for opposing QB's and OC's to get useful pre-snap reads because the look that's shown in initial alignment is rarely the look that's actually going to come from the play.  It's how Belichick son'd us in the Super Bowl.  We'll no doubt run into some trouble - and see how well we can make adjustments around that trouble - when we come up against more cerebral QB's or the ones like Mahomes that are outrageously athletically gifted and can just go backyard at any given time.  But this kind of scheme is the stuff of Carappolo's nightmares.

He really turned it around tonight. It's a big change from Wade. Wade is a great DC, but his defense had a tendency to get torn apart all night long if Wade didn't have the right plan going into the game. Staley figured things out in the second and slowed down Dallas's super-talented offense.

• Like 1

Also, though I'm confident that most in the general forums who were so loudly critical will never admit it even if they could rub the two brain cells together to see it, the rumors of our "crappy OL" were greatly exaggerated and maybe, just maybe, actually were a case (outside of Havenstein's regression last year) of a rash of injuries and an inability to get anything resembling continuity.  It's not the 2018 OL, but this is a vast improvement over what we say Weeks 1-12 last year.

• Like 3

My take on the Rams:

Goff is progressing his game pretty well, he took what the defense was giving him and I respect the fact that they didn’t try to get flashy with deep passes. That lone INT should not have counted and we know that. The only things that bothered me were the missed opportunities, like Malcolm Brown dropping a screen pass that could’ve went the distance, and that horrendous missed FG by Sloman. Some of the play calling were head scratchers as well, a screen pass to Brown when you have Akers and Henderson??? 

Running plays up the middle with RBs who are better running outside?? If you’re going to run those type of plays at least get a little more creative, however, Akers and Henderson weren’t really running with patience anyway. I think those two will come along. 

On the defensive side of the call, what in the world was Staley thinking in that first half?? My goodness the defense was atrocious, but I will give credit when credit is due, the man adjusted well in the second half allowing a mere 3 points. 

I have high hopes for the secondary this season and they did a good job tonight. Those Cowboys WRs are no joke, and I think it’ll be good practice for when we have to cover those Tampa Bay receivers. 

We had a Leonard Floyd sighting last night, but I want more from those edge rushers, when Donald is getting multiple bodies on him every play someone should do something 

As mentioned, once Staley fine tunes this defense it has the potential to be one of the best in football. 

Good things lie ahead for us, just need to stay focused. 

Edited by NYRamsFan88
  • Like 2

Thoughts on week 1:

-Offense wasn’t taking any huge shots but seemed to be able to ball with relative ease—this felt a lot closer to the 2018 Rams than last year. I had confidence in them going into each drive. 
-Looks like McVay is finally willing to make adjustments and take what the opposing defense is giving us. Looking forward to this offense for the rest of the year and I’m sure they’ll open things up soon enough 
-I was upset about our defense at first. But they made some huge adjustments after halftime and really stepped it up. But even afterwards, thinking back to the first half, I had to remind myself that we were playing the Cowboys who are absolutely loaded with offensive talent. Hard to really complain about the D for the game and as many already pointed out, it’s a new scheme and they’ll fine tune it more and more with each passing week. 
-Anyone else surprised to see Jordan Fuller get WAY more playing time than both Burgess AND Rapp? I knew he was impressing at camp but I was not expecting that. He came up big a few times. Could really actually be a steal for us. 
-Really uninspired by what I saw with Akers and especially Henderson. Akers had the one nice move to spin out of a tackle behind the LOS but other than that he really looked like just a guy out there. I didn’t see any power or push at all. It’s his first game ever—I get it. But I was hoping to at least see some glimpses or flashes. Though I do think the play calling did Akers and Henderson no favors by continuing to call runs up the gut—which does not play to either of their strong suits. 
-On the other hand, Malcolm Brown looked GREAT. Felt like every time he had the ball, he was gaining chunks of yards at a time. 
-I’m done with Everett. Bad drop and got hurt again. If it wasn’t already obvious, it’s time to move on from him. 
-We player a very talented team and came away with the win. What a great way to start the year. -I may be in the minority on this, but I love how the new uniforms look. I think they look sharp as hell and very unique. 

GO RAMS!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Thoughts on week 1:

-Offense wasn’t taking any huge shots but seemed to be able to ball with relative ease—this felt a lot closer to the 2018 Rams than last year. I had confidence in them going into each drive. 

I think Goff has taken some strides strictly through not taking unnecessary shots. He took what the defense gave him and didn't try to do too much with it. I was happy to see that. There were a few plays where he could have tried to make too much out of nothing and have it cost us, but he didn't. The gameplan was relatively simple, keep Goff upright and get the ball out of his hands quick. Was glad to see them stick to it throughout the game. The INT he threw was a penalty and shouldn't have counted....

-Anyone else surprised to see Jordan Fuller get WAY more playing time than both Burgess AND Rapp? I knew he was impressing at camp but I was not expecting that. He came up big a few times. Could really actually be a steal for us. 

I saw him flashing a few times and couldn't believe he was out there as much as he was. Never a problem when you have too many good players in the secondary. I think they could run a lot of dime packages with Rapp filling in the role of second linebacker and playing closer to the LOS. Opens a lot of opportunities for us against teams who try to spread us out (Cards and maybe even niners to cover Kittle). 

-We player a very talented team and came away with the win. What a great way to start the year. -I may be in the minority on this, but I love how the new uniforms look. I think they look sharp as hell and very unique. 

I wasn't a fan at first, but the bone did look better than I thought it would. Under the lights it seems closer to white without being too white. Hope they'll add the yellow bottoms next year.

Loved the game plan yesterday. That won’t be the same for everyone obviously as not everyone has the same front 7 the Cowboys have. But I loved it for that team. The offense looked better than the score indicated, but the defense looked worse than the score indicated. It’ll come down to which was the fluke and which is the norm. Excited for AD vs the Eagles

• Like 2

Just now, btfd16 said:

Loved the game plan yesterday. That won’t be the same for everyone obviously as not everyone has the same front 7 the Cowboys have. But I loved it for that team. The offense looked better than the score indicated, but the defense looked worse than the score indicated. It’ll come down to which was the fluke and which is the norm. Excited for AD vs the Eagles

Eagles are weakened with injuries. We could steal some games early that people had us losing.