2020 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

39 minutes ago, TheChad said:

We got by with Hewitt and Cashman last season. Was Cashman injured? He only seems to have played in a couple of games.

Yes Cashman is injured but I believe he's due back soon.

We also have Mosley back next year. He pretty much has an untradable contract, so he will have to play for us at leats next year.

9 hours ago, ekill08x said:

These deals are almost useless

So are those players playing on this team right now.  I would rather chance at the unknown (draft picks) than keeping a player for his intangibles that is not a part of the rebuilding process.

Edited by xrade

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes Cashman is injured but I believe he's due back soon.

We also have Mosley back next year. He pretty much has an untradable contract, so he will have to play for us at leats next year.

Unless the Covid opt-out plan is still intact.  If that is not an option, he may suffer a phantom injury.  I would even be willing to trade Mosley and a late round pick just to dump him.  He does not want to play for the Jets at all, he just wanted the cash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Unless the Covid opt-out plan is still intact.  If that is not an option, he may suffer a phantom injury.  I would even be willing to trade Mosley and a late round pick just to dump him.  He does not want to play for the Jets at all, he just wanted the cash.

Oh I agree. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets a phantom injury and it becomes a thing next year. I don't think he opts out again bc that's no pay again and remember they still have to fulfill their contract. So he's just delaying his time with the Jets. He has a contract that's pretty untradable. So will have to play with him a season. But as you stated... I'd bet he "fakes" an injury to not have to play and have the year count.

11 hours ago, ekill08x said:

These deals are almost useless. Basically we’ve just moved up a little in 2022 and given away quality players and leaders. This guy better know how to draft. 

Key to these deals to me is the cap space. With the loss of revenue, the salary cap will not go up. We are creating more cap this year to roll over to next year so we won’t be affected by the Cap staying flat

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jetfan66 said:

Key to these deals to me is the cap space. With the loss of revenue, the salary cap will not go up. We are creating more cap this year to roll over to next year so we won’t be affected by the Cap staying flat

yeah that is a good point.

55 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Oh I agree. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets a phantom injury and it becomes a thing next year. I don't think he opts out again bc that's no pay again and remember they still have to fulfill their contract. So he's just delaying his time with the Jets. He has a contract that's pretty untradable. So will have to play with him a season. But as you stated... I'd bet he "fakes" an injury to not have to play and have the year count.

I guess the opt-out option all depends on the player and his lifestyle.  They do get a $150K stipend, but their contract tolls.  I can see something similar for next year if Covid is still an issue which it is looking like it may be.  Would Mosley opt-out for $150K again and have his contract toll again?  It all depends on how fiscally responsible he has been and how he wants to live.

I would hope the NFL and the union do something that prohibits this kind of thing.  I can certainly understand if a player is afraid of getting sick, but if the player is opting out just to not play or have his contract toll, then it has to be stopped.  For a repeat opt-out player, maybe something like reduce the stipend unless you have a documented high risk situation AND make the last guaranteed year of the contract a team option with a paltry buyout clause.  In Mosley's case, his stipend would be $75K unless he can document himself as being high risk.  Make 2025 (the last year of his contract if it tolls again next year), a team option with a small buyout clause.  This would effectively terminate his contract in 2025 making the ability to cut him after the 2022 season still a viable option.

16 minutes ago, xrade said:

I guess the opt-out option all depends on the player and his lifestyle.  They do get a $150K stipend, but their contract tolls.  I can see something similar for next year if Covid is still an issue which it is looking like it may be.  Would Mosley opt-out for $150K again and have his contract toll again?  It all depends on how fiscally responsible he has been and how he wants to live.

I would hope the NFL and the union do something that prohibits this kind of thing.  I can certainly understand if a player is afraid of getting sick, but if the player is opting out just to not play or have his contract toll, then it has to be stopped.  For a repeat opt-out player, maybe something like reduce the stipend unless you have a documented high risk situation AND make the last guaranteed year of the contract a team option with a paltry buyout clause.  In Mosley's case, his stipend would be $75K unless he can document himself as being high risk.  Make 2025 (the last year of his contract if it tolls again next year), a team option with a small buyout clause.  This would effectively terminate his contract in 2025 making the ability to cut him after the 2022 season still a viable option.

IMO there would have to be something done. The owners 100% have a correct stand in not wanting to pay a player what they would have 2 years later. There's a difference between a vet player 2 years later in their career. And the Jets would have a right IMO to fight not having to pay him his same salary at  29 rather than 27.

It will be interesting to see what the Unions and League decide.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ekill08x said:

These deals are almost useless. Basically we’ve just moved up a little in 2022 and given away quality players and leaders. This guy better know how to draft. 

Desmond King a former all pro just went for a 6th and Kwon Alexander a former pro bowler went for a 5th

Veterans just dont have high trade value unless they are currently elite, teams prefer the young and unknown 

It no wonder so many teams are looking to pick up players at this time of the year, with 14 teams that will make the playoffs.  That means 44% of the teams in the NFL will make the playoffs what is a joke.  I hate the idea of 8-8 team making the playoffs, and there is a real good chance that could happen.

1 minute ago, doumeyer said:

It no wonder so many teams are looking to pick up players at this time of the year, with 14 teams that will make the playoffs.  That means 44% of the teams in the NFL will make the playoffs what is a joke.  I hate the idea of 8-8 team making the playoffs, and there is a real good chance that could happen.

Hell the NFC East may be sending a team into the playoffs with a losing record.  That has only happened once before in the 16 game era.  In 2010 Seattle won the NFC West with a 7-9 record and won the WC game against NO. The Bucs at 10-6 and the Giants at 10-6 stayed home.  

Interestingly, that was the last year the Jets made the playoffs where we lost to Pitt in the AFC championship game.  That was another messed up year:  The Jets good and beating NE in the Div. game, Seattle in playoffs with a 7-9 record and winning WC game.  Obviously, the FB gods awoke and set things back to normal ever since.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

Hell the NFC East may be sending a team into the playoffs with a losing record.  That has only happened once before in the 16 game era.  In 2010 Seattle won the NFC West with a 7-9 record and won the WC game against NO. The Bucs at 10-6 and the Giants at 10-6 stayed home.  

Interestingly, that was the last year the Jets made the playoffs where we lost to Pitt in the AFC championship game.  That was another messed up year:  The Jets good and beating NE in the Div. game, Seattle in playoffs with a 7-9 record and winning WC game.  Obviously, the FB gods awoke and set things back to normal ever since.

What made it even crazier Seattle had home field advantage in the first game.

Just look how poised Lock looks.  All those WRs, TEs, RBs, plus the strong OL greatly helps.  Sam will never be able to sit in a pocket like that unless he goes to another team and Tommy Lee Jones erases his memory.

And anytime my feed cut over to show Herbert he was moving the ball downfield with ease.  I won't count Dallas, we are the only team who cannot move the ball downfield or have any sort of quick strike.