2020 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

13 minutes ago, TheChad said:

Anyone else think we're going to:

• Start Flacco for a few games due to a Darnold injury (possibly this current one)
  • Win some games by miracle
  • Miss out on Trevor Lawrence
  • Keep Gase and decide that Darnold was the problem
  • Keep Gregg Williams because I don't know, reasons

And all of us have to find a new team to cheer for?

No one is finding a new team to cheer for. If that last 10 years haven’t broken anyone then nothing will.

15 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Starting weapons next week should be Bell, Crowder, Mims, Perriman, Herndon. Jeff Smith had a nice game yesterday. I'd like to see him get more action for us. 

Pretty sure Mims and Bell can’t come back till after week 5

40 minutes ago, TheChad said:

In case this is news to anyone, it looks like our tackle situation is solid at least:

I really hate thinking about what getting Thuney would have done for us on the interior. Would have been Clark developing away from having a really good OL for the next few years. An average(Lewis) and bad(GVR) duo hurt Center(McGovern) play so much.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

No one is finding a new team to cheer for. If that last 10 years haven’t broken anyone then nothing will.

I tried once in the 1980's.  It didn't work.  I was out and they pulled me back in.  Being a Jet fan is like having a giant, invisible suck magnet following you.

Ive been doing this Jets thing too long to get out now

The main reason that makes me hold on, is if the day comes and im alive to see it, watching the Jets finally break through and win the SB after all this suffering is gonna be so euphoric I cant miss out on that feeling

The Jets always have a glimmer of hope.  Or there is at least one of my favorite players on the team to cheer for.  Right now the only guy I like on the team is Becton.  Foley is cool too and Crowder can play.  Everyone else I consider a bum or neutral feelings.  Except maybe Jordan Jenkins, he's just injured too much.

Just now, jetsfan4life51 said:

The Jets always have a glimmer of hope.  Or there is at least one of my favorite players on the team to cheer for.  Right now the only guy I like on the team is Becton.  Foley is cool too and Crowder can play.  Everyone else I consider a bum or neutral feelings.  Except maybe Jordan Jenkins, he's just injured too much.

Hoping Mims gets on my short list of guys on our roster I like

Just realized I hit send before finishing my thought.

But the only reason I am watching the game is to watch BIG TICKET.  That's it.  I can't get invested into this season and who knows with next.  I want my fantasy team to win me some cash and I want Seattle to do well because I have always liked Russ, I love guys like Wagner and Wright on defense, I love DK and obviously Jamal.

Interesting, albeit slightly irrelevant at this point, note from Cimini -  "In a new book by former Baltimore Ravens coach Brian Billick, who does a deep dive into the QB Class of 2018, Douglas is quoted as saying, "Sam Darnold was the number one QB on our board in Philly."

Not surprising, but worth mentioning. Sam's issues right now are mental, but the talent is still there. Happy feet, prematurely escaping the pocket, not keeping his eyes downfield & over processing routine throws. The degree of inconsistency we've seen this season isn't indicative of his ability, and thus correctable if he can get his head on straight. I think we'll see his talent shine through at times, resulting in a few more wins than expected & leaving us with more questions than answers come draft day (Assuming we play ourselves out of the Trevor sweepstakes)….And by a few more wins I mean 2-3 or just enough to lose out on the top pick.

The biggest issue right now is that he's not playing with confidence - routinely missing streaking receivers because he's locking on his first read, overcompensating easy throws, defaulting to crappy mechanics trying to evade a nonexistent rush or panicking/dropping his eyes in instances he's usually 'special'. This isn't an excuse, he's been very bad, worse than you'd think from just watching the broadcast. Point being, most of his inadequacies are stemming from the same issue - easily summed up as the "David Carr" syndrome. 

I do not want us to draft  Lawrence or Fields. And honestly, that is completely independent of how Darnold finishes the season. IMO, the dude could look like trash and we go winless and I'd still be against using the first overall pick on a QB. We need to get a HC that can build a team, we need to sign a vet QB that can work with the new HC to establish a functional offensive system, develop the WRs, RBs, Tes, and Oline so that everyone is on the same page. Then once we have a functional system in place, make a move for a young arm with talent that can sit a year, learn the system and then take over. Use the picks we would get for Lawrence to jumpstart a true rebuild.  Look at how the 2000 draft, where we had 4 first round picks set us up to be competitive for years. Build off that. Use, what would be a ransom of picks to get a stud WR/TE/Edge and Center in round one, then continue to stockpile talent with the rest of the pick. 

I have no interest in watching us ruin another stud QB by failing to build a team around them and hoping their talent alone will magically fix everything that's been wrong with this organization over the past 15 years.