2020 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

2 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Interesting, albeit slightly irrelevant at this point, note from Cimini -  "In a new book by former Baltimore Ravens coach Brian Billick, who does a deep dive into the QB Class of 2018, Douglas is quoted as saying, "Sam Darnold was the number one QB on our board in Philly."

Not surprising, but worth mentioning. Sam's issues right now are mental, but the talent is still there. Happy feet, prematurely escaping the pocket, not keeping his eyes downfield & over processing routine throws. The degree of inconsistency we've seen this season isn't indicative of his ability, and thus correctable if he can get his head on straight. I think we'll see his talent shine through at times, resulting in a few more wins than expected & leaving us with more questions than answers come draft day (Assuming we play ourselves out of the Trevor sweepstakes)….And by a few more wins I mean 2-3 or just enough to lose out on the top pick.

The biggest issue right now is that he's not playing with confidence - routinely missing streaking receivers because he's locking on his first read, overcompensating easy throws, defaulting to crappy mechanics trying to evade a nonexistent rush or panicking/dropping his eyes in instances he's usually 'special'. This isn't an excuse, he's been very bad, worse than you'd think from just watching the broadcast. Point being, most of his inadequacies are stemming from the same issue - easily summed up as the "David Carr" syndrome. 

Agree with this. Any sport, a player playing with no confidence is bad. I’m hoping that he will look at the extra days off and some weapons back in the lineup as a fresh start. Odds are we will still lose... but that doesn’t mean Darnold doesn’t play well. And maybe he starts gaining some confidence as the seasons goes on. 

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

Joe was stupid not to bring Robby back, he was an elite deep threat and was improving on his intermediate and short game. Smh

Not accurately.  He was stupid not to invest in a more talented player for double digit figure.

JD spent on three OL with similar contract and so far Fant is only one that shows up.  Good job on Fant and idiot for having those other OLs.

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Not accurately.  He was stupid not to invest in a more talented player for double digit figure.

JD spent on three OL with similar contract and so far Fant is only one that shows up.  Good job on Fant and idiot for having those other OLs.

McGovern is struggling because he’s playing in between an average(at best) and bad Guard tandem. We haven’t had any bad snaps, slide protection issues and Thursday was the first I remember guys coming in clean from the second level but that was more on Ballage not picking them up. GVR has been getting beat like a drum and has killed multiple drives. 

2 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

McGovern is struggling because he’s playing in between an average(at best) and bad Guard tandem. We haven’t had any bad snaps, slide protection issues and Thursday was the first I remember guys coming in clean from the second level but that was more on Ballage not picking them up. GVR has been getting beat like a drum and has killed multiple drives. 

I don't ask for excuse. lol.   Anyway, I read somewhere that McGovern playing Center mostly was surprising. I don't remember where but whatever.  To fix the OL we need to be open mind for McGovern to play G if we think we find acceptable C before Cameron Clark is ready to roll.

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

I don't ask for excuse. lol.   Anyway, I read somewhere that McGovern playing Center mostly was surprising. I don't remember where but whatever.  To fix the OL we need to be open mind for McGovern to play G if we think we find acceptable C before Cameron Clark is ready to roll.

Just giving reasoning behind the struggles on the interior that’s all. My preference would be getting Creed Humphrey with the Seattle pick, Clark stepping in at LG and McGovern moving over to RG. That could be a really good athletic OL with 3 foundational pieces from LT to C. Then eventually we replace McGovern and Fant. We’re a team that’s always been good when our Line has been good. That has to be our foundation. 

16 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

There wasn't a more talented receiver to invest in though..?

16 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Just giving reasoning behind the struggles on the interior that’s all. My preference would be getting Creed Humphrey with the Seattle pick, Clark stepping in at LG and McGovern moving over to RG. That could be a really good athletic OL with 3 foundational pieces from LT to C. Then eventually we replace McGovern and Fant. We’re a team that’s always been good when our Line has been good. That has to be our foundation. 

Do you have information on pass protection elapsed time?  I am curious what is the longest one?

Edited by JetsandI

If Jets mismanage another injured player then both Gase and JD need to go.  Last year was 4 players. Oh that is okay because they sucked but Becton is our best potential player that can stick around for 10 years. Not a cool.   Right now, Darnold has injured throwing shoulder. Austin is hurt. Fant had concussion. Crowder and Bell were dealing with hamstring issue. Those players are considered better players than last year's 4.

I understand having tough mentality may be necessary but treating players like **** doesn't sit well in NFLPA circle.

Edited by JetsandI