2020 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

How the hell were the Jets irresponsible enough to put Sam back in that game when he had an injury that was apparently bad enough that he had to be held out of the next two games...

Either that or Gase is desperately hoping that if he can make the offense look good with Flacco then he can try and protect his job by claiming it was all Darnold's fault.

We're talking an injury so bad he couldn't play a full 14 days after the injury, yet he was able to play in the game? I just dont understand why this team sucks so much.

• Like 2

In the last 22 years we've really only a NFL level offense in the passing game twice. 1998 (yes 22 years ago) and 2015. Both seasons we had 2 very talented WRs. 1998 its was Key and Chrebet and in 2015 it was BMarsh and Decker. Coincidentally those are really our only 2 winning seasons in this time frame (remember in the Sanchez years defense and backing into the playoffs). 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

In the last 22 years we've really only a NFL level offense in the passing game twice. 1998 (yes 22 years ago) and 2015. Both seasons we had 2 very talented WRs. 1998 its was Key and Chrebet and in 2015 it was BMarsh and Decker. Coincidentally those are really our only 2 winning seasons in this time frame (remember in the Sanchez years defense and backing into the playoffs). 

This team has consistently avoided drafting WRs (and pass rushers).  And it clearly shows.  Yet somehow the Jets cannot figure this out.

17 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

This team has consistently avoided drafting WRs (and pass rushers).  And it clearly shows.  Yet somehow the Jets cannot figure this out.

We have drafted them.  We even spent 2nd round picks on WR (Hill, Smith, Mims).  We just have not been able to draft a good WR.  Or we draft potentially good WR and EDGE, but do not develop them.  I certainly see your point,  the indictment should be on past coaching/FO regimes for the failure to recognize to issue (GM), identify the players (scouting), develop them (coaching).  The Jets have failed miserably in that area.  I would also throw QB, CB, OL in there.

I am hopeful that JD can change this.  So far, he seems to recognize the problem.  We shall see.

Edited by xrade

1 minute ago, xrade said:

We have drafted them.  We even spent 2nd round picks on WR (Hill, Smith, Mims).  We just have not been able to draft a good WR.  Or we draft potentially good WR and EDGE, but do not develop them.  I certainly see your point,  the indictment should be on past coaching/FO regimes for the failure to recognize to issue (GM), identify the players (scouting), develop them (coaching).  The Jets have failed miserably in that area.  I would also throw QB, CB, OL in there.

I am hopeful that JD can change this.  We shall see.

I meant we have avoided drafting in the 1st round.  It's always been leftovers in the 2nd who can't stay on the field.  And we had years of trades and FA signings for WRs.  It was never long term.

Just now, jetsfan4life51 said:

I meant we have avoided drafting in the 1st round.  It's always been leftovers in the 2nd who can't stay on the field.  And we had years of trades and FA signings for WRs.  It was never long term.

Agreed.  But lets not gloss over the fact that many good/great WR can be found outside the first round.  In fact, most are found outside the first round (you can argue that as I do not feel like looking it up) - JuJu, Sutton, Brown, Adams, Chark, etc.  At this point, we need a true high potential (aka 1st rd.) WR/EDGE, since we have failed so often.  But again, maybe, just maybe, JD can fix this so we can be like most other teams and find the good WR and, to a lesser degree, EDGE later in the draft.

8 minutes ago, xrade said:

I am hopeful that JD can change this.  So far, he seems to recognize the problem.  We shall see.

I question this though. We have a HUGE issue with offensive talent. What did JD do to help that?

He let Robby walk and thought the often injured Perriman was a replacement: FAIL

He brought in Gore at 37yrs old for who knows what reason. Who is now our starting RB. Imagine being the worst team in the NFL and you’re RB is one of the oldest guy in the league: FAIL

I stand by that he didn’t “want to” draft Mims. If he rated him highly he would’ve grabbed him with our original pick. I’m sure he thought there’s no way he’d make it back to us and HAD to choose him then. But I stand by that he didn’t “love” Mims. And as we all know Mims hasn’t even played yet: FAIL although there’s potential here.

He only drafted 1 WR: FAIL

He drafted Perine and the guy can’t even get snaps. I know this might be a coaching issue as well. But he created that when he brought Gore in. And for that it’s a: FAIL

He’s done 1 good thing in that he drafted Becton. Fant started good but was awful last week. McGovern hasn’t been playing well at all. And GVR has struggled but finally looked good last week. It was clear OL was something he wanted to address... and I think he did a decent job of that. But he neglected the rest of the offense in the process. Which in turn cost us this season and potentially our “possible” franchise QB.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I question this though. We have a HUGE issue with offensive talent. What did JD do to help that?

He let Robby walk and thought the often injured Perriman was a replacement: FAIL

He brought in Gore at 37yrs old for who knows what reason. Who is now our starting RB. Imagine being the worst team in the NFL and you’re RB is one of the oldest guy in the league: FAIL

I stand by that he didn’t “want to” draft Mims. If he rated him highly he would’ve grabbed him with our original pick. I’m sure he thought there’s no way he’d make it back to us and HAD to choose him then. But I stand by that he didn’t “love” Mims. And as we all know Mims hasn’t even played yet: FAIL although there’s potential here.

He only drafted 1 WR: FAIL

He drafted Perine and the guy can’t even get snaps. I know this might be a coaching issue as well. But he created that when he brought Gore in. And for that it’s a: FAIL

He’s done 1 good thing in that he drafted Becton. Fant started good but was awful last week. McGovern hasn’t been playing well at all. And GVR has struggled but finally looked good last week. It was clear OL was something he wanted to address... and I think he did a decent job of that. But he neglected the rest of the offense in the process. Which in turn cost us this season and potentially our “possible” franchise QB.

IIRC you were positively giddy over our draft.  You also had no problem letting Robby walk although you have since softened your stance on this.

Whether he wanted to draft Mims or not is irrelevant - he drafted him.

I will give you the 1 WR thing as I think we all agree another WR instead of Morgan was the right way to go, but lets not pretend getting a 4th rd. WR was going to save us.  Most of us, while happy he addressed the problem with a late round WR (if it happened), would have looked at it as Meh.  Most of us would have preferred an established FA WR such as Perriman or Doctson which is what JD did.

Gore was all gase and we know that.  Just like I believe the whole Bell thing is all gase.  gase has just as much control as JD and has the undying backing of Chrissy.

Fant has actually been OK.  Yes, last week was a setback but overall, we may not need to address RT in 2021.  McGovern is truly a head scratcher.  Does he really suck or is it the 2 OG next to him?  Could it be that no offseason with 4 new OL and one crappy holdover is the issue?  We all knew it would take time for the OL because of the lack of offseason.

Now for the million dollar question.  What would you have done prior to games being played?  Please keep in mind to view it from the offseason timeframe, not now.  Hindsight is useless for this exercise.  Also, please view it not knowing what the cap for 2021 would be since the number we now know was only agreed upon at the end of July - AFTER TC started.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

IIRC you were positively giddy over our draft.  You also had no problem letting Robby walk although you have since softened your stance on this.

Whether he wanted to draft Mims or not is irrelevant - he drafted him.

I will give you the 1 WR thing as I think we all agree another WR instead of Morgan was the right way to go, but lets not pretend getting a 4th rd. WR was going to save us.  Most of us, while happy he addressed the problem with a late round WR (if it happened), would have looked at it as Meh.  Most of us would have preferred an established FA WR such as Perriman or Doctson which is what JD did.

Gore was all gase and we know that.  Just like I believe the whole Bell thing is all gase.  gase has just as much control as JD and has the undying backing of Chrissy.

Fant has actually been OK.  Yes, last week was a setback but overall, we may not need to address RT in 2021.  McGovern is truly a head scratcher.  Does he really suck or is it the 2 OG next to him?  Could it be that no offseason with 4 new OL and one crappy holdover is the issue?  We all knew it would take time for the OL because of the lack of offseason.

Now for the million dollar question.  What would you have done prior to games being played?  Please keep in mind to view it from the offseason timeframe, not now.  Hindsight is useless for this exercise.  Also, please view it not knowing what the cap for 2021 would be since the number we now know was only agreed upon at the end of July - AFTER TC started.

My stance hasn't changed on what we should do. We need weapons. We have draft capital. Go make a move for a WR to help this team and more importantly our QB. There's a few guys I think we could trade for and resign upon trade to help us. We cant act like Perriman and Mims are 2 star WRs that we are getting back. Are they better than what we are rolling out now? Of course, but that's not saying much. Help your QB. Save that 1st for more weapons instead of starting over again. Help Darnold out.

I'll use Golladay as an example. Detroit isn't winning just like us. Why not trade pending FA Golladay for lets say a 3rd (maybe even a 2nd) instead of just losing him in FA. We in turn give Golladay a big deal upon trade so he doesn't hit FA... and now have a legit #1 WR. Allowing him to help Darnold for years. Yes we'd even with that still need more. But that surely would help Darnold a ton to evaluate him this year and help actually whoever is at QB for us down the road.

That's just 1 example. There's several other issues like this. Might be a team in cap problems like lets say Atlanta. Might be able to pry away Julio or Ridley from them), etc.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

My stance hasn't changed on what we should do. We need weapons. We have draft capital. Go make a move for a WR to help this team and more importantly our QB. There's a few guys I think we could trade for and resign upon trade to help us. We cant act like Perriman and Mims are 2 star WRs that we are getting back. Are they better than what we are rolling out now? Of course, but that's not saying much. Help your QB. Save that 1st for more weapons instead of starting over again. Help Darnold out.

I'll use Golladay as an example. Detroit isn't winning just like us. Why not trade pending FA Golladay for lets say a 3rd (maybe even a 2nd) instead of just losing him in FA. We in turn give Golladay a big deal upon trade so he doesn't hit FA... and now have a legit #1 WR. Allowing him to help Darnold for years. Yes we'd even with that still need more. But that surely would help Darnold a ton to evaluate him this year and help actually whoever is at QB for us down the road.

That's just 1 example. There's several other issues like this. Might be a team in cap problems like lets say Atlanta. Might be able to pry away Julio or Ridley from them), etc.

Have I not repeatedly stated this?  I posted more than once that we should be targeting teams with cap issues next year that are not in the playoff hunt.  Hell, I even mentioned to look for trades with teams that are not good.  Golladay is a good example.  Now tell me if you know for a fact that JD has or has not made phone calls?  Mid-season trades are rare.  How do you know he is not doing just this?  You don't, just like I do not know if he is.  It is all speculation and we may never know.  Maybe he offered a 2 for Golladay and Detroit said I want your first and a third.  We don't know.

And lets face it, it does not matter if we get a good WR via trade in time to play this year.  Do you really have any hope at all that gase would use him correctly?  Do you really want to see a big, speedy WR like Golladay only getting 3 yard receptions?  Or being ignored when he runs downfield?  This year is toast. Sam may be toast with no hope of recovery on this team.  Lets see what 2021 brings and then decide if we have a GM or not.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Have I not repeatedly stated this?  I posted more than once that we should be targeting teams with cap issues next year that are not in the playoff hunt.  Hell, I even mentioned to look for trades with teams that are not good.  Golladay is a good example.  Now tell me if you know for a fact that JD has or has not made phone calls?  Mid-season trades are rare.  How do you know he is not doing just this?  You don't, just like I do not know if he is.  It is all speculation and we may never know.  Maybe he offered a 2 for Golladay and Detroit said I want your first and a third.  We don't know.

And lets face it, it does not matter if we get a good WR via trade in time to play this year.  Do you really have any hope at all that gase would use him correctly?  Do you really want to see a big, speedy WR like Golladay only getting 3 yard receptions?  Or being ignored when he runs downfield?  This year is toast. Sam may be toast with no hope of recovery on this team.  Lets see what 2021 brings and then decide if we have a GM or not.

Agreed. And we don't know what calls JD has made. I just know he's done relatively nothing via trades for players in almost a year and a half.

And we did get a WR its about beyond this year. I cant see Gase making it through the year. So we will have someone new calling plays eventually this year.