2020 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

JD was as expected yesterday. Media reading too much into things like always.

Few points from it that I took.

1. He said Darnold is the future. BUT also said that everyone has to progress. I expected a comment like this. Bc he's not going to say... that if we are drafting in the 1st couple picks we're drafting TLaw or Fields. That'd be idiotic for him to say something like that. Where I think he messed up was saying that Darnold is the future. He could have when asked about Darnold just talked about that he's our guy and that we have to see him progress and help him more with weapons. He should have left the future part out if you ask me. Bc if (or when) we get the 1st or 2nd pick and we decide we are drafting TLaw or Fields the NY media can now go back to this comment and drill him about it.

2. He made it sound like Gase isn't going anywhere. Once again... I wasn't expecting him to say Gase is done. Same as Darnold he has to say good things as long as he's here. JD has to know Gase isn't doing a good job and actually gives us the best chance to tank. I do think that gase is still gone after the season. 

3. He made it sound like we won't be big spenders in FA. I'm actually not reading too much into this. We all know he wants to build this team via draft. But when you have 90 mill to spend you have to get players. What I read into this is I expect him to really only target young FAs that are part of the long term success of this team. No more Gore type signings.

4. He admitted to making a mistake with Robby. I love this quality in any person to admit when the mess up. It also made it sound like he never even made Robby and offer. He said that he thought Robby would go for a lot more than what he did. So that shuts down the thought that we even made Robby an offer (mistake) and the thought that Robby and his agent reached out to the Jets to see if they could beat that contract (didn't happen).

What I gathered from this is that I do expect JD to help whoever is at QB in the offseason. It seems he totally can see that we are a JV offense playing NFL football. And BIG changes need to be made.

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

4. He admitted to making a mistake with Robby. I love this quality in any person to admit when the mess up. It also made it sound like he never even made Robby and offer. He said that he thought Robby would go for a lot more than what he did. So that shuts down the thought that we even made Robby an offer (mistake) and the thought that Robby and his agent reached out to the Jets to see if they could beat that contract (didn't happen).

That's huge for me too. Gives me way more confidence in him going forward.

I won't be surprised if Gase stays so I don't care for his comment about him being committed by Jets. The 2020 result is real real hard to erase with better 2021.

As for Darnold and Anderson part, JD acknowledged he screwed up. That is nice but so what because he can't hide those mistakes.

I would expect JD to continue lightly spendling in FA but he may sign more players than last year.

And lastly, NFL FO can't talk about undeclared prospects for upcomping draft so JD had to fend off some childish comments about Darnold's future with the hint of drafting top qb.

45 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He said Darnold is the future

Agree with all you said.  As for Sam being the future, it depends on one's definition of future.  The future could be tomorrow or the offseason.  It is a very nebulous term and not to be taken as long term in the football universe.

2. He made it sound like Gase isn't going anywhere

Today he is not going anywhere.  Same situation as future of Sam.

He made it sound like we won't be big spenders in FA

I hope this is just BS.  Agree with your assessment that we will only target good, young FA's (as you have in your mock).  My opinion is that he will target players like that just not as many as we would hope for.  EDGE, CB, WR, and iOL may be it for larger contracts, but I think he will have a max price tag for all of them.  As an example, I do not expect him to throw >$18M on an EDGE.  I think he would rather just draft and develop and EDGE.  TE and low cost backups for depth. 

Edited by xrade

He admitted to making a mistake with Robby

Big of him.  I hope he learns from this.  I will still maintain my position that RA would not be nearly as good on this team as he is on CAR.  Still, a young WR with size and speed who a decent WR2 is something to build with.  

• Like 1

Put it this way...if we are drafting number 1...Lawrence is the pick and we dont pair him with a new HC and go the same route we did with Sam, firing the HC after the rookie QBs first year...then this franchise simply hasnt learned a thing and nothing will change. Lawrence has to be paired with a brand new regime or we have no future.

• Like 3

Gase is gone after this season. There is no way they can keep him. Someone has to take the hit for the poor player which is starting to become the worse team in NFL history by the numbers. I think you will see a lot of changes coming. I still don't see us making a big splash in FA. JD wants to build through the draft and that is what he will do. He may sign like 1 big name guy but that is it. JU JU or Thuney might be that person. 

47 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Put it this way...if we are drafting number 1...Lawrence is the pick and we dont pair him with a new HC and go the same route we did with Sam, firing the HC after the rookie QBs first year...then this franchise simply hasnt learned a thing and nothing will change. Lawrence has to be paired with a brand new regime or we have no future.

If gase is still the HC, I would almost expect Lawrence to return to school.  He is too smart to join the gase **** show.  In fact, any 1st rd. QB would most likely be severely hesitant about the gase regime and make it difficult for the Jets to sign them.  That said, even Chrissy must know this and must fire gase in order to draft a new QB. 

7 minutes ago, xrade said:

If gase is still the HC, I would almost expect Lawrence to return to school.  He is too smart to join the gase **** show.  In fact, any 1st rd. QB would most likely be severely hesitant about the gase regime and make it difficult for the Jets to sign them.  That said, even Chrissy must know this and must fire gase in order to draft a new QB. 

I still think Woody comes back and makes the decision to move on from Gase. They need to give Douglas the power moving forward of everything that is on the personnel side of the operation. Woody and Chris have zero idea what to do, but Woody is much better than CHris is.

24 minutes ago, xrade said:

Nah..  If Gase stayed, his cat leash would be very short. T Law could have NFL career beginning with year 2.   He goes regardless.

10 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I still think Woody comes back and makes the decision to move on from Gase. They need to give Douglas the power moving forward of everything that is on the personnel side of the operation. Woody and Chris have zero idea what to do, but Woody is much better than CHris is.

Sadly, you are not convincing US enough. lol.

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Let's not forget it was the Woodster that started this whole HC reporting to owner thing so even though they SHOULD give JD the power over the coaches I am dubious it happens.  I do think Woody is a little less patient than Chrissy and gase would probably be gone by now if he were here.

Think of them as two 3 year olds playing with their favorite toys.  Unless a "new" favorite pops up, they will continue to play with their toy.  In other words, we need Tweedle-Dumb and Tweedle-Dumber to get a new interest to occupy their time in order to give JD the necessary control.

21 minutes ago, xrade said:

Let's not forget it was the Woodster that started this whole HC reporting to owner thing so even though they SHOULD give JD the power over the coaches I am dubious it happens.  I do think Woody is a little less patient than Chrissy and gase would probably be gone by now if he were here.

Think of them as two 3 year olds playing with their favorite toys.  Unless a "new" favorite pops up, they will continue to play with their toy.  In other words, we need Tweedle-Dumb and Tweedle-Dumber to get a new interest to occupy their time in order to give JD the necessary control.

Bill Parcells was last man in full charge of Jets.  Shame.

I don't know if Woody would fire Gase last January but he won't fire Gase today anyway.    Chris was probably the first one and only one that fired someone during the progression (MM).