2020 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

5 hours ago, TheChad said:

That's huge for me too. Gives me way more confidence in him going forward.

That is one big black eye for Joe Douglas. that is the way I look at it. I just lost some confidence in him. That screw up really affected the entire passing game for 2020 season/

7 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

That is one big black eye for Joe Douglas. that is the way I look at it. I just lost some confidence in him. That screw up really affected the entire passing game for 2020 season/

That screw up is also putting us in prime position to fire Gase and land Lawrence.  He learned his lesson and keeping Robby may have lead us to years of mediocrity.  A man who can own up to his mistakes is a leader.

3 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

That screw up is also putting us in prime position to fire Gase and land Lawrence.  He learned his lesson and keeping Robby may have lead us to years of mediocrity.  A man who can own up to his mistakes is a leader.

It isn't entirely GM's job to sabotage the roster for unforeseeable top pick.    JD has history with failing to find an effective WR whether his involvement or not in both young and veteran.   This guy is joke.

Edited by JetsandI

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

It isn't entirely GM's job to sabotage the roster for unforeseeable top pick.    JD has history with failing to find an effective WR whether his involvement or not in both young and veteran.   This guy is joke.

Please elaborate on his failure to draft and develop a WR.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, xrade said:

Please elaborate on his failure to draft and develop a WR.

To chime in... while he wasn't GM... these are the WRs drafted in the years and teams he was part of the personnel and scouting.

With Eagles

2019: 2nd Round: JJ Arcega-Whiteside

2018: No WRs drafted

2017: 4th Round: Mack Hollins, 5th Round: Shelton Gibson

2016: No WRs drafted

With Chicago

2015: 1st Round: Kevin White

Now previous to this he was with the Ravens as just a regular scout for 14 years. So its hard to tell what he was involved in during this time. To no go through each and every WR pick...

But to summarize there were pretty much no good WRs drafted by the Ravens in those 14 years. And I'm not lying when I say Torrey Smith is the best of the group over those 14 years and he wasn't even good.

So to worry about him identifying WR talent is worrisome. But as I said he wasn't the one making the picks on other teams now he is. Through 2 games Mims looks good. We just cant seem to get him the ball enough (which isn't on JD). So maybe just maybe him actually calling the shots can identify offensive talent, not just OL talent.

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

To chime in... while he wasn't GM... these are the WRs drafted in the years and teams he was part of the personnel and scouting.

With Eagles

2019: 2nd Round: JJ Arcega-Whiteside

2018: No WRs drafted

2017: 4th Round: Mack Hollins, 5th Round: Shelton Gibson

2016: No WRs drafted

With Chicago

2015: 1st Round: Kevin White

Now previous to this he was with the Ravens as just a regular scout for 14 years. So its hard to tell what he was involved in during this time. To no go through each and every WR pick...

But to summarize there were pretty much no good WRs drafted by the Ravens in those 14 years. And I'm not lying when I say Torrey Smith is the best of the group over those 14 years and he wasn't even good.

So to worry about him identifying WR talent is worrisome. But as I said he wasn't the one making the picks on other teams now he is. Through 2 games Mims looks good. We just cant seem to get him the ball enough (which isn't on JD). So maybe just maybe him actually calling the shots can identify offensive talent, not just OL talent.

I think we are starting to see chips in Joe Douglas armor suit.  I hope we are wrong but the facts don't lie.

Just now, doumeyer said:

I think we are starting to see chips in Joe Douglas armor suit.  I hope we are wrong but the facts don't lie.

I give him the benefit of the doubt, bc at the end of the day he wasn't the GM. So he didn't get to pick who he wanted. We will never know if he was the one who wanted lets say JJ over DK, Johnson, McLaurin (all wouldn't have been reach picks there). 

What we can judge him on is his draft with us. And through 2 games Mims has looked legit. It's on Loggains and Gase to get him the ball more. We are losing games regardless. So feature Mims more. He had good 1st halves both games and then they just quit using him in the 2nd half both games.

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I give him the benefit of the doubt, bc at the end of the day he wasn't the GM

That is the only way to judge him.  There is no other way.  JD did NOT make the Eagles or Ravens draft picks.  Period.  If people have any issue with JD's tenure thus far, why not blame Asst. GM Rex Hogan? Same as insinuating JD had any major impact on the Eagles drafts.

Now, if anyone has proof JD had the ability to override Roseman or that Roseman allowed JD to make draft selections, please share that info, otherwise it is just baseless speculation.

Just now, xrade said:

That is the only way to judge him.  There is no other way.  JD did NOT make the Eagles or Ravens draft picks.  Period.  If people have any issue with JD's tenure thus far, why not blame Asst. GM Rex Hogan? Same as insinuating JD had any major impact on the Eagles drafts.

Now, if anyone has proof JD had the ability to override Roseman or that Roseman allowed JD to make draft selections, please share that info, otherwise it is just baseless speculation.

And I totally get that side of it. But the fact is that any team he's been part of... they have never drafted a good WR. That's over a 19 year time period. Go look at the Ravens WR picks from 2000-14. Go look at CHI WR pick in 2015 and PHI WR picks in 2016-19. There's not a good WR drafted in 19 years. So while he wasn't the final decision maker on those teams... his scouting, director of scouting and in charge of player personnel jobs have never produced a good WR.

Which for a team like ours thats starving for WR talent... there's reasons to worry.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

And I totally get that side of it. But the fact is that any team he's been part of... they have never drafted a good WR. That's over a 19 year time period. Go look at the Ravens WR picks from 2000-14. Go look at CHI WR pick in 2015 and PHI WR picks in 2016-19. There's not a good WR drafted in 19 years. So while he wasn't the final decision maker on those teams... his scouting, director of scouting and in charge of player personnel jobs have never produced a good WR.

Which for a team like ours thats starving for WR talent... there's reasons to worry.

And my point is how do you know JD did not push for a good WR in the draft for those teams?  How do you know that the GM did not say "Joe, I understand you want WR X in round 1 or 2 but we are going in a different direction"?  Truth is we don't know.  It is all baseless speculation. 

Judge the man on his body of work, not what you may think could have happened.  If you want to say he sucks because of his FA signings so far - fine.  I will argue the reason for them but at least we have 1 year of evidence.  If you want to argue the players he took in his first draft - fine.  At least there is some evidence of that.  But to state he had any impact on the Ravens or Eagles WR drafting is just wrong.

i'm not blaming JD for anything yet.  i'm not even mad he didn't bring back Anderson.  while anderson is killing it in carolina, it's because hes the 2nd, maybe 3rd option on that offense and isn't getting the CB1 of the defense.  he's also being targeted a TON, mainly because they have a coach that knows how to use him. he wouldn't be putting up these numbers in NY.

not drafting another WR is the only thing i'd get on him about.  he had a pretty good draft otherwise; Becton looks like a stud, Mims looks like a future player and Perine shows some talent.

i'll give him another offseason before i start throwing stones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xrade said:

And my point is how do you know JD did not push for a good WR in the draft for those teams?  How do you know that the GM did not say "Joe, I understand you want WR X in round 1 or 2 but we are going in a different direction"?  Truth is we don't know.  It is all baseless speculation. 

Judge the man on his body of work, not what you may think could have happened.  If you want to say he sucks because of his FA signings so far - fine.  I will argue the reason for them but at least we have 1 year of evidence.  If you want to argue the players he took in his first draft - fine.  At least there is some evidence of that.  But to state he had any impact on the Ravens or Eagles WR drafting is just wrong.

You're right. But I highly doubt over the course of 19 years he never had a hand in drafting a single WR on the teams he was part of. 

1 hour ago, Heymangold said:

i'm not blaming JD for anything yet.  i'm not even mad he didn't bring back Anderson.  while anderson is killing it in carolina, it's because hes the 2nd, maybe 3rd option on that offense and isn't getting the CB1 of the defense.  he's also being targeted a TON, mainly because they have a coach that knows how to use him. he wouldn't be putting up these numbers in NY.

not drafting another WR is the only thing i'd get on him about.  he had a pretty good draft otherwise; Becton looks like a stud, Mims looks like a future player and Perine shows some talent.

i'll give him another offseason before i start throwing stones.

I just can't get behind this. It's in essence saying we should have 0 offensive talent bc we don't have a good OC/HC. So never get talent bc of coaching? No thank you to that line of thinking.

JD himself has said it was a mistake not bringing Robby back. And while it doesn't put him in a Jets jersey... it shows that JD is at least a man that can admit his wrong doings. Which not very FO people do.

JDs draft got off to a slow start with injuries but it's already better then anything Mac did during his tenure.  I'm not sure why people are so down on JD if anything we should be optimistic about the guy.

I mean he got us a potential all pro LT and a WR with massive upside.  He found JFM and Huff who look like young pieces.  If any of his mid rounders Zuniga, Davis, Hall, Clark hit he's off to a fantastic start.

33 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I just can't get behind this. It's in essence saying we should have 0 offensive talent bc we don't have a good OC/HC. So never get talent bc of coaching? No thank you to that line of thinking.

i'm not saying there shouldn't be offensive talent here, i'm saying that even if robby was here, he wouldn't be doing what he's doing now. i was never a fan of him either, that's why i'm not mad he's not here.