2020 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

42 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Disagree agree with the overall sentiment: production = sacks. Regardless, I get where you're coming from, but it's all relative. Huff is an UDFA... It's not like this is being used as an excuse for an underachieving player, like you're alluding to (Leo, Sheldon). No one is claiming we found our guy at EDGE, but any sort of production/disruption we get from him should be viewed as a huge win. 

But the stat isn't talking about draft position. It's just saying that he has the best win rate for rookie edge rushers. My point is that he isn't producing. Where he was drafted for this stat doesn't matter. He's getting snaps for us as a rookie UDFA, so yes that's a good thing for the present bc he can hopefully develop. But thew stat posted would make you think he's prodcuing, when he in fact isn't.

As I stated... I hope he does become a good edge rusher for us. I'd love that. But this stat makes it sound like he's good. When 14 tackles and 1 sack isn't good in 10 games.

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Not going down this rabbit hole again. This talk has surrounded edges we've had along with guys like Leo, Sheldon, etc.

YET THE DON'T ACTUALLY MAKE PLAYS!!!

Huff has 1 sack on the season. No other point is needed to be made.

Another post in this thread with some missing the point. 

2 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Disagree agree with the overall sentiment: production = sacks. Regardless, I get where you're coming from, but it's all relative. Huff is an UDFA... It's not like this is being used as an excuse for an underachieving player, like you're alluding to (Leo, Sheldon). No one is claiming we found our guy at EDGE, but any sort of production/disruption we get from him should be viewed as a huge win. 

It shows he’s winning his assignments at the best rate of any rookie EDGE which is really good considering two things. 

1. he’s played limited snaps

2. he drops into coverage

Hes a kid we clearly have something with and should hopefully see continued development. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

But the stat isn't talking about draft position. It's just saying that he has the best win rate for rookie edge rushers. My point is that he isn't producing. Where he was drafted for this stat doesn't matter. He's getting snaps for us as a rookie UDFA, so yes that's a good thing for the present bc he can hopefully develop. But thew stat posted would make you think he's prodcuing, when he in fact isn't.

As I stated... I hope he does become a good edge rusher for us. I'd love that. But this stat makes it sound like he's good. When 14 tackles and 1 sack isn't good in 10 games.

Right, but your direct comparison was to two former first round picks? In the past, stats like that have been used to justify what is perceived as a lack of production - which I believe is the exact point you were making. However, in this instance, there's no need to justify a lack of production from an UDFA. Any glimpse of promise, be it sacks or metrics like the one posted, are encouraging from a guy who came into the season without any expectation. 

3 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

It shows he’s winning his assignments at the best rate of any rookie EDGE which is really good considering two things. 

1. he’s played limited snaps

2. he drops into coverage

Hes a kid we clearly have something with and should hopefully see continued development. 

No argument from me, we're on the same page here. By every indication a great pickup.. I'll add that playing limited snaps can go both ways - easy to inflate percentage metrics with a limited sample size (I don't know what that sample size is, just food for thought). 

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Another post in this thread with some missing the point. 

Ya just like Herndon was going to be a top TE this year bc he garded out so incredible as a rookie. Seen this story with us and others so many times. Where people look into such a small sample size and anoint guys.

9 hours ago, NJC33 said:

No argument from me, we're on the same page here. By every indication a great pickup.. I'll add that playing limited snaps can go both ways - easy to inflate percentage metrics with a limited sample size (I don't know what that sample size is, just food for thought). 

His film is really good, I've seen him drop into hook zones, blow up screens and other things. Excited to see his next step. 

I will take any positive potential for this talent deficient team. When was the last time we could say that about multiple players in our draft and UDFA class?

It is true that potential means they haven’t done anything yet and one rookie season does not a star make, but there is nothing wrong with getting a little excited about Huff, Davis and Hall. If one wants to pop-poo their contributions then one must poo-poo Mims’ contribution. He does not even have a TD or 100 yard game yet.

Huff is a promising young player but he isn’t gonna stop us from addressing the position in FA or the draft, which no one is saying he is. Herndon balled as a rookie as far as TEs go and unfortunately hasn’t planned out due to him regressing and not being used in the same role as his rookie year, is what it is we’ll add more to the spot.

6 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

What did we anoint him exactly? 

My point is merely that for me its a stat that’s misleading.

Its a stat that would make you think he’s producing, when he’s not.

So when he starts producing... I’ll entertain his win rate and other rather BS stats.

24 minutes ago, xrade said:

Stats are nice but can be misleading.  We are all Jets fans and painfully watch them.  It is the eye test that determines, at least for me, whether a player is good or not.  That is why I am hopeful for many of our rookies.

Absolutely. As I keep saying..... I hope he becomes a very good edge for us and a difference maker. Even if it’s only in certain packages.

But I will still reiterate.... that stat is misleading. Truth is he has 1 sack in 10 games. So he’s not winning as much as that stat would make it appear.