2020 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

2 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Quinnen Williams was another pick we all hated and alas he’s looking terrible.

You know how bad it is when the majority of the fan base (at least on here) was right about our draft picks for the past 10-15 years.

2004- Vilma slam dunk pick we all wanted that

2006- Brick and Nick...we weren't expecting both but everyone was all in A+ draft

2007- Revis wasn't talked about much pre draft but I was huge on him.  We all at least liked the pick

2008- Gholston and Keller. Gholston was the right pick he just sucked and we missed. I can't remember who we were looking at with our 2nd

2009- Sanchez...we needed a QB

2010- Kyle Wilson...never liked him and we needed a pass rusher and Jerry Hughes was there.  Not to mention other CBs were better but we drafted him to be a slot CB once Manning beat us in the playoffs

2011- Wilk...great pick and we all liked it

2012- Coples...I was screaming for Chandler Jones the whole year, would have even taken Ingram.  Big miss there

2013- Milliner and Richardson...did not want to touch Milliner but because we sent Revis packing they went CB and Richardson was a luxury pick.  That year I loved the OL but was wrong and I completely whiffed on Jarvis Jones.

2014- Calvin Pryor..I liked him and Ha Ha.  Thought he was going to be so much better

2015- Leo..hated the pick even though it was BPA.  Once again not knowing how to build a team killed us. Vic Beasley was my man crush that year especially with our edge need.

2016- Darron Lee, I hated him since he was mocked to us in November and was all over Deion Jones.

2017- Finally a pick I liked, Adams

2018- Darnold

2019- Q, we all wanted Josh Allen

we havent had a GM that has been able to marry talent, work ethic and need.  It's been an F'ing joke.  Too many picks that were "BPA" and too many picks that were reactionary (traded someone away, lost in the playoffs because of this) when they never have addressed the root causes of our issues.  We haven't had any playmakers on offense like ever.  And we've never had an edge rusher.  And we continue to spin our wheels.  Good thing Douglas seems to have a good football mind, let's just find a coach now.

Wow.  08-16 first round players I hate in past, present and future. Only Keller and Williams that got me changed my mind briefly..  Can't mad at Vilma pick and it was 3-4 front that made him questionable.  His comment on Vick's dog fighting was appalling.

Personally, I have no problem with BPA in 1st but it is mulit changing systems and coaching methods that destroy a real quality of talents.  

33 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Mims doesn't play at all this season.

But I really hope Perine gets some looks when he comes back.  It would be stupid not to.

was thinking the same which would be horrible. hammys are tricky and they take weeks of rest and youre typically not comfortable running afterwards for a while. What was Perines injury i forget...?

Sam is to blame for almost all of what went wrong on offense in week 1--not coaching, not skill positions, not OL. I think he should get a pass before everyone jumps ship, but one thing that sticks out to me (other than Sam) is that the Jets clearly didn't do enough in the weapons department , and it could stain what was a very solid Joe Douglas draft. 

Mims getting hurt was a brutal blow (Same Old Jets--we're cursed!). As if Covid wasn't enough (lack of offseason) AND the training camp hammy, he's going to miss at least another 2 games and it'll likely take him another 4 to feel semi-comfortable in the offense. Hope I'm wrong, but can't expect much out of him this year. 

I'm at a loss as to why the Jets didn't take advantage of the amount of depth in draft to add more WR talent at a cheap price. In looking around the league, these draft prospects in 4th round or later that had roles: Gabriel Davis, Quintez Cephus, Darnell Mooney, KJ Osborn, James Proche. I'm not saying they would have made a difference in week 1, only better QB could have, but a group of Crowder, Perriman, Hogan, Berrios, and Malone entering week 2 is sad... 

I understand this is a process and the sky isn't falling (yet), but it's not fair that both Darnold and Gase are being evaluated with Jamison Crowder as the #1 and a bunch of career backups as the rest of the receivers in a year where Mims' development is going to be stunted. Outside of Perriman, there is no one healthy on the roster who can get separation on the outside. It showed because Perriman was basically blanketed by the best CB in football, and Edmunds held Herndon in check all game.

I hope Douglas can go out and trade for a semi-reliable guy like Dede Westbrook, Phillip Dorsett, Kenny Stills, John Ross, etc. to be a speedy 4th receiver because Hogan isn't going to cut it. He poses zero threat to opposing defenses.  

Replacing Robby with Perriman was foolish, especially considering the amount of cap we held on to. Drafting 1 WR, a WR they didn’t really even want considering they passed on him twice (?) was equally as foolish. Lev Bell doesn’t fit this offense and looks done.

Id like to sign someone or make a trade that will help in the future but at this point I think it’s just too late. 

Hopefully the offense looks much improved this week. It won’t take long for the team to completely implode if there’s another game or two like last week. Either way we are going to learn a lot about this team relatively fast.

Just so frustrating year after year that this franchise has not been able to find a true #1 WR. Sure we’ve had some one hit (year) wonders (Plaxico, Santonio, Marshall) and some nice #2 caliber guys (Chrebet, L Coles, Robby). I would argue we haven’t had a homegrown, consistent star receiver since Al Toon. Ridiculous. 

Darnold was terrible for most of that game Sunday, no doubt,  Its looking more and more that he’s not someone who can raise the game of his supporting cast. If management view him as a player like that, then the kid doesn’t have a chance. He needs help, and he isn’t getting any, at least not this year.  I know it’s week one and I keep hoping I’m wrong, but times running out. 

For the last seventy year only one QB who came out of USC and became a franchise QB was Carson Palmer all the other failed in the NFL or were career backups He is list of their top 10 QB in USC history Pete Beathard, Mark Sanchez ( had two good years with the Jets) John David Booty, Paul Mc Donald, Vince Evans, Pat Haden, Matt Leinart, Rob Johnson ( better than average back up ) Rodney Peete (another good back). I have no idea where Darnold will end up on this list.  With all the great players who came out of USC why no great QB ?