WK 1 : Let it die

Nabbs4u

1 minute ago, TwoUpTwoDown said:

Watching Donald tonight also made me think of this. Getting hard to justify his contract.

That is exactly what spurned my post... I get it, Donald is in a tier of his own, and Cox can still be worth a ton of money without being DPOY caliber future 1st ballot guy, but he needs to be disruptive in the pass game, and he simply hasn't been that lately. If he gets completely neutralized by double teams, and/or cannot feast on 1v1 matchups, he is not worth his contract any more. Damon Harrison is a stout run defender who brings little as a pass rusher, and he can't even get signed because he wants more than the few million teams are willing to pay for 2 down services. Just not that much value in being a dominant run defender. The value is if you can be an anchor and the run game while also being able to crash the pocket. Cox seemed to be on/off last year in that regard, and it looks like we may be getting more of the same in 2020.

• Like 1

After some time spent thinking about this miserable 2nd half some more, I'm pinning this on Doug and Wentz. Doug's playcalling continues to be super questionable and Miles being out gave him the go to pretend we don't have any running plays in the playbook. I hate how we always run out of shotgun too.

It baffles me that Wentz really gets away with trying to extend literally every single play. It's getting ridiculous and Doug needs to actually do something about it. His timing on the interceptions and almost every throw after halftime was hard to watch. I get it there was a pandemic but come on.

Sure the defense did not play well in the redzone and seemed to have an enormous amount of miscommunication/confusion but I'm going to give them a break. I'm giving the defense a break because Wentz/Doug did everything they possibly could to screw the defense over field-position-wise.

Also on Doug, the offensive line is in absolute shambles but didn't notice too much 12 personnel to help them out...

After posting my thoughts and then reading like the last 7 pages it seems like we are all on the same page here lol. Since the problems are this easy for all of us to see, I really hope our 5 offensive coordinators or whatever that we brought in can get together with Doug and figure out some creative ways to go 9-7 and lose in the Divisional Round again.

3 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Let’s not let Nabbs off the hook, this 2012 era GDT doomed us from the start. It’s what we get for trying to get away with jiggle.gifs in the year of our lord 2020

You should of Step the 🤬 up, that's what you get. Besides I like bouncing boobs. 😎

Edited by Nabbs4u

Looked at all 8 of today's sacks and assigned blame. Now of course pass protection is almost always partially to blame on a sack, unless we're talking pretty unique situations, so you can interpret the below marks as "OL fully to blame", "Carson partially to blame", "half Carson, half OL"... When I mark "OL" I am just referring to pass protection in general BTW.

1. Not his fault, Kerrigan gets free rush and Wentz has no time to throw or get away. OL 1-0
  2. Screen play falls apart, Wentz tries to run on dead play. He had opportunity to throw at TE's feet, this is actually all on Carson and 0 on pass pro. OL 1-1
  3. Sack 3 we get to the interesting stuff. So Wentz has enough time to look off 1st read before he is hit in blindside (approx 2.8 seconds), BUT he didn’t step up, not exactly clean pocket but it looks like room to his right to step up. Now he doesn’t go down initially, tries to escape, and this leads to fumble. Could critique him for not stepping up, and for not then going down initially. I call it 50/50 here for blame, but you could definitely put this all on Wentz. OL 1.5-1.5
  4. Sweat destroys the TE on play action fake and has free run at Wentz, who sees him coming and IMO has enough time to throw it away. At very least, it's pretty concerning Wentz was unable to get away here, all he did was hold on to ball and then attempt the patented duck and he got smacked. There was a lot of open space and time, I think even average mobile QB could avoid that sack and extend play. He really looks like a statue on this play. OL 1.5-2.5
  5. This is the sack that led to Elliott's 53 yard FG try, which was on point just not enough yards. Yards which were lost because Carson eats this sack. Pocket begins to crumble about 2.8 seconds after the snap, Carson steps up into pressure and is pushed back. He bounces away and starts back pedaling with 2 or 3 guys coming at him, at which point he 100% has time to throw it away but hesitates and gets crushed at the 36. Even if he went down when pocket initially crumbled that would have been at the 30 and Elliott hits that kick. OL 1.5-3.5
  6. Another free rusher, this time Bostic. It's hard to tell if Carson really saw him or not. He wasn't in blind side but Carson is likely looking downfield. Again though, it's 1 on 1 with the pass rusher and Wentz feels like a sitting duck, you'd like him to escape that. Not giving him any blame though. OL 2.5-3.5
  7. Play action from under center, WTF Doug. Anyway pressure gets to him pretty quickly here, 2.3 seconds from the snap, but it's there in less than 1 second after Wentz gets his head around after the PA. Here's where it's damned if you do, damned if you don't for Wentz, because he tries to get away from the quick pressure but in doing so exposes the ball and nearly fumbles it. On one hand you might want him to just eat up that play, but on the other hand it's certainly not an inescapable situation. Either way this is all on the pass pro (and play calling really). OL 3.5-3.5
  8. Pressure comes 2.7 seconds after snap and he steps up into pocket, then gets whacked from behind and fumbles as he steps through crowded pocket. About 4.2 seconds pass from snap to fumble here. I'm giving partial blame to Carson here because when he stepped up, he needed to get that ball out ASAP, as he evaded initial pressure he should have seen that RDE was going to be on him in a second. Final tally of how I assigned blame: 4-4 split between the pass protection and Wentz. Pass protection had full blame for 4 sacks, while Wentz shared full blame on 1 and some degree of blame on 3 others. 

OL did a piss poor job, Wentz did a bad job navigating pressure and deciding how to handle it, and the playcalling did no favors. That's how you end up with an 8 sack day.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Oh so we gonna act like Gruden gave him a fair chance last season.....why dont you call it as it is? You guys lost to Dwayne Haskins

ehhhh... he had a 54% completion rate and threw 31 passes for only 178 yards... we lost to the washington D Line 

8 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Defense is pretty old, Cox, BG, Slay, Malik, all will be in their twilight or off team by time we could do any transition or mini rebuild. Only young notable defenders are Hargraves and I guess Sweat?

I’m sure the next couple drafts will be defense and OL centric. But still, the back 7, outside of possible CB1, has the young guys in place maybe if all goes well. A big if but if all goes well, a lot of the team is in place. QB,RB,LT,LG,WRs,TE - DE,DT,LBs,Ss,CBs. Not really much NEEDED. Of course upgrades can be had across the board. But I expect the next couple drafts will be focusing in on those older, declining positions. 

45 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

ehhhh... he had a 54% completion rate and threw 31 passes for only 178 yards... we lost to the washington D Line 

Some of that was because he actually threw the ball away instead of taking a sack. You know, like an NFL QB who’s not worried about his completion percentage would do. 

Actually saw an interesting stat yesterday that Alex Smith had the same exact stat line - 178 yards and 1 TD - in his last 3 wins playing for Washington. As long as Haskins can keep taking care of the ball like Smith while he gets more experience in this league, I’ll be happy. 

Anyway, that was a hell of a roller-coaster ride yesterday. It’s always hard to win when a team’s greatest strength is your greatest weakness. It’s one of the main reasons why the Seahawks have struggled so heavily against the Rams in the Donald era (4 wins out of 12 games). It obviously would have been a very different game if your OL was completely healthy, but I honestly have very little sympathy considering Washington’s injury luck over the last decade. 

You guys will be fine though. Reagor looks like a stud and Goedert should be TE1. 

• Like 1

Carson just tried to do to much yesterday. Doug called a terrible game(again) and didn’t help Carson settle once things got rocky. We abandoned the run early, we used way too much play action, and we didn’t even attempt to hide our terrible OL. 

That said, Carson should know he can’t play like that. His biggest weakness is also part of his unique strength, he tries to make every play a home run. Sometimes he makes the Superman play and does incredible things, and sometimes he takes unnecessary sacks and turns the ball over. He needs to be smarter and more willing to just let some plays go. If he can be more calculated in his risks, all his turnovers go away. 

The OLine is a massive problem. They need help fast, and Doug needs to go back to the 2017 playbook. The offense the past two years has been unbelievably vanilla and predictable. Guy is supposed to be an offensive guru. Show it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eagles18 said:

for the first time.... i'm actually wondering if Wentz really is the guy. 

I'm not totally there yet, but I am certainly on my way. 

It's hard to fault him given the injuries to the offensive line but there are certain parts of his game that have been an issue for years and have not gotten better - his fumbling issues, his inability to recognize when it's time to throw the ball away, his pocket presence seems like it has gotten worse and his accuracy sometimes is baffling. I'll wait to see what happens when Lane plays before I jump on this way of thinking.