Browns Fan Psychosis, Reality VS Misperception, & "They are who we should've thought they were"

Mind Character

tenor.gif

RIP Dennis Green

-----------------------------------------------------

"The BROWNS are who we should've thought they were......now if you crowned them..then crown their a**.....but they are who we should've thought they were"

I'm losing my mind...

We're now at the part of the season where the media hot takes, sports radio pile on to my sports insanity where my terrible talented team already messes up my Sundays....

Mary Kay the Hack Cabot is writing articles about how us passing up on Deshaun Watson already means we blew it and is just like passing on Wentz and Trubisky for which we blew it as well..her logic and inability to do basic mental experiments like (what if the QBs switched teams...how would they fare?) really pains me...

The rest of the cleveland.com, Akron Beacon Journal writers, ESPN cleveland pundits aren't much better (maybe a few are decent)...sports radio is worse....

Simply put...we do this every year...we don't pay attention to the relevant factors that lead to wins and losses; therefore, when we lose...we lose our sh** and spew up foolishness of the highest order out of frustration and surprise.

Here's the truth that our optimism would not allow many of us to really see: We were never going to win this year, were likely to be the worst team in the league, and the way we were going to lose was going to be epic in how bad it was...(Rookie QB, zero WR talent, overmatched defense, complete roster inexperience, 1-15 last year).

On defense we changed schemes but without Myles...every single player we had last year is the same excluding Jabrill Peppers(rookie), Jason Mccourty (the new Tramon Williams?), Trevon Coley/Ogunjobi (rookie's basically)...that change is not a major one....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will most likely be one of a handful of final post until draft talk heats up in December as I just can't control myself from losing it on those with what I perceive are ridiculously awful takes, but before I go I wanted to start a thread whereby people could post their responses to some of the False Realities, False Certainties, False Beliefs, and Misperceptions that they are hearing from their fellow Browns fans, media, etc...

So......What do you think fooled our fellow fans heading into the season where they thought things would be better? And...What are the false realities (bad/illogical takes) that you feel like Browns fans have when it comes to this season?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my assessment.........

1. Misperception: Deshone Kizer's not the guy it's clear. We should've drafted Deshaun Watson and/or Wentz, it's clear the Browns blew it again.

• Reality: Deshaun Watson is playing outstanding; he really is...How would Deshone Kizer play if he played on the Texans right now with the highest paid WR in the league (sure handed combat catcher security blanket Nuk Hopkins), Will Fuller, Bruce Ellington (major playmaker now that he's been elevated to a starter), Braxton Miller, RB Lamar Miller??
  • I'd say Kizer on the Texans would've had similar success and the offense may even be more explosive in the deep passing game.
  • If Deshaun Watson was on the Browns, we'd probably see the same results if not worse due to Watson's propensity to try to run more so than Kizer.

2. Misperception: If Hue only wins 3 games or less even though he has a bad roster he needs to be fired.

• Reality: WHAT??? We were an expansion team last year. We were an expansion team last year....this roster was going to take 3-4 years to rebuild in order to get back to some semblance of being able to compete and even then it was going to be plagued by inexperience and youth and thus not likely to be able to win/compete game to game.
  • It's a players league...every "Hue's playcalling" take fails to understand there is no play call to beat a defense when the skill players don't make plays, are not scared by a RB, and are dealing with a rookie QB.

3. Misperception: No matter what happens, we can get a true evaluation on Kizer as our guy and Hue as our coach....

• Reality: The most disappointing thing about this season is that the talent and inexperience deficiency does not really allow us to get a true evaluation on Kizer, Hue, and the staff.

4. Misperception: Coming into the year given our schedule this teams should win 4-7 games and should win/have the advantage to beat the Texans, Colts, Bengals, Jets, Jaguars, Chargers...

• Reality: We're not better talent-wise on offense OR on defense than any of these teams especially without Garrett. If you were paying attention to the relevant factors that lead to winning, you would not be shocked, appalled, and upset about how this season is going. In fact, you would've predicted that we would be the worst team in the league and/or top 3 worst teams in the league.
  • The Texans, Colts, Bengals, Jets, Chargers, & Jaguars roster-wise (WR corps, RB corps, playmakers) are all substantially better than the Browns. Even the Jets' Ardarius Stewart, Jermaine Kearse, Robby Anderson would be WR1s for the Browns...and even Jeremy Kurley would all be 2deep contributer.
  • Rookie QB with no playmaking talent on the outside and no RB1 force that scares a Defense. Youngest most inexperienced team in the league. Rookie starters everywhere does not translate to winning.
  • Our defensive talent in terms of splash impact is worse than all of those teams.
  • Pass rush without Garrett was always going to struggle and those of us hopeful about Ogbah but really watching his game knew that he does not with quick and would likely have to move inside. We do not have the impact S to clean things up in the backend as peppers is still a truer SS than a deep FS. Chargers---Bosa and Ingram...Jags---Jalen Ramsey, Calais Campbell, AJ Bouye, Malik Jackson, Myles Jack, Jets---Leonard Williams, Muhammed Wilkerson, Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Texans---Watt, Clowney, Mercilus etc...

5. Misperception: Our CBs will surprise people this year

• Reality: CB room hype was based in misperception as Mccourty was one of the worst in the league (a lot worse than Haden based on analytics and play), Jamar Taylor only is good in zone but has terrible eyes and is not a strong boundary corner. BBC is a great role player but not lockdown impact boundary corner.

5. Misperception: We improved the OL; that should translate to wins

• Reality: Replacing Alex Mack and Mitchell Schwartz with JC  Tretter, Shon Coleman, & Kevin Zeitler is not progress or an upgrade that should've been celebrated but instead just trying to fill holes we created and get back to the status quo. We didn't win when we had Alex Mack & Mitchell Schwartz b/c of the lack of talent at skill positions and on Defense.
  • It may have made sense to not pay Mack and Schwartz due to wanting to rebuild; however, filling those glaring holes did not mean more wins.
  • One of the main reasons for optimism for an improved record according to most was improvement on the offensive line. For me, this never really made much sense b/c a good OL just gives a QB a chance to make plays; however, if there are no playmakers or playes that can separate improved OL play is moot.

6. Misperception: Deshone Kizer has to show that he can win to be the guy...

• Reality: NO rookie QB wins without at least 1 impact WR1, talented WR core, and/or an impact player at RB.
  • Our WR room is truly one of the worst we've ever had on the Browns as with Coleman out we're relying on 2 UFAs (Leslie, Kasen Williams); 2 later round guys that either can't catch, can't run routes, or can't separate (Ricardo Louis, Higgins); a stone hands poor route running vertical speed threat player traded for a turkey sandwhich by the Steelers (Sammie Coates); and a washed poor effort can't catch or separate player (Kenny Britt).
  • Take a look at the rookie QBs W-L record and look at teams/talent that surrounded these rookies.  You'll see that given our WR, RB talent we should've expected to be one of the worst

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Didn't read most of it, but it looks pretty solid.

Gifs, underlined words, larger fonts, links, bold text, etc.. 

Good stuff.

All the words are me explaining the gif...so you didn't miss much...

Had to get off one more lonq post before I get away from the hot take foolery until draft eval time heats up in December...

I'm going to go back and add italics somewhere in the beginning to boost the quality of the post...

33 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Didn't read most of it, but it looks pretty solid.

Gifs, underlined words, larger fonts, links, bold text, etc.. 

Good stuff.

LGB...check out @ohiogenius critique below...He/She/They gets it.

Gets it on the fact that even my title is too long...

Gets it on the fact that "Hogan maybe better than Kizer" at least that's what OG is implying...lol. "Kizer isn't pulling the trigger" ...AND "Hogan is"...that's what you take from the game?

If I'm going out...I'm going out on my terms...long title..long posts...and im out...

6 minutes ago, ohiogenius said:

Not a fan of the title. Too long. 

Also I think the problem with Kizer is he isnt pulling the trigger. Thats the difference between him and Hogan right now.

4 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Good lord, that's a lot of words to say Hue Jackson is infallible. 

This guy gets it...

I clearly meant by my words that Hue deserves roses thrown at his feet wherever he goes...And any word of critique about Hue is cause for ostracism and expulsion from the state...Clearly..

You seemed to have missed how I also said Deshone Kizer is also infallible and so is AB, DePo, and Sashi...

Bow to them...they can do nothing wrong...that's clearly what I typed...

100% right on the first part @ditchdigger...missed the second part about how I think we should worship Kizer and the FO...TBH I'm a little disappointed you didn't get that second part as that's clearly what I was saying...

I take it back. That's a lot of words to say that you know how everyone thinks, why they're wrong, and what they should think.

Which is good, because I don't want to even think about why this team has 2 less wins than a Jets team that has a less talented roster and a QB we cut.

I am not saying Hogan is better than Kizer. 

I just dont see that hesitation with Hogan. I didnt watch the all 22 so I cant say if it was because no one was open or he just isnt making those anticipation throws.

I mean Kizer is still a first year player, so its not unexpected. 

Also I had no idea if you were saying I get it or sarcastically saying it

27 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

I take it back. That's a lot of words to say that you know how everyone thinks, why they're wrong, and what they should think.

Which is good, because I don't want to even think about why this team has 2 less wins than a Jets team that has a less talented roster and a QB we cut.

Again...you hit it on the nose..

You get it...

23 minutes ago, ohiogenius said:

I just dont see that hesitation with Hogan. I didnt watch the all 22 so I cant say if it was because no one was open or he just isnt making those anticipation throws.

I'm just saying you get it...

Kizer pulls the trigger slower than Hogan.

Sample size of plays doesn't matter...Slower is not better...Faster is better. As Hogan is faster than Kizer,..I'm just drawing the next conclusion; that is, that Hogan is better than Kizer.

What other thing is to be concluded from Hogan is faster at pulling the trigger than Kizer besides that...

2 hours ago, ohiogenius said:

Shouldn't he be tho? I mean, he's 3 years older and played in this system last season.  Shouldn't he be a little further ahead right now?

Think back to how awful he looked last year though.  That's what a rookie qb looks like most of the time, Kizer is no different.  Hell, Goff who everyone here loved, myself included, looked like dogsht last season and now looks like you'd expect him to.

Folks are just getting ahead of themselves with the criticisms IYAM IMHO YMMV.

25 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Shouldn't he be tho? I mean, he's 3 years older and played in this system last season.  Shouldn't he be a little further ahead right now?

Think back to how awful he looked last year though.  That's what a rookie qb looks like most of the time, Kizer is no different.  Hell, Goff who everyone here loved, myself included, looked like dogsht last season and now looks like you'd expect him to.

Folks are just getting ahead of themselves with the criticisms IYAM IMHO YMMV.

Does age really matter much? If it did I should be pretty good.

Kizer has 100 more career pass attempts than Hogan, in my book that means Kizer is more experienced. Sure, Hogan was around the team some last year but I really only count real game action as experience. I could read book after book of "how to play QB" and when I get in the game I'm not going to look very good. Game experience trumps everything else. Kizer should be ahead of Hogan rather than vice/versa in terms of the game slowing down and realizing what does and doesn't work and what needs scrapped and what needs improved.

34 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Does age really matter much? If it did I should be pretty good.

Kizer has 100 more career pass attempts than Hogan, in my book that means Kizer is more experienced. Sure, Hogan was around the team some last year but I really only count real game action as experience. I could read book after book of "how to play QB" and when I get in the game I'm not going to look very good. Game experience trumps everything else. Kizer should be ahead of Hogan rather than vice/versa in terms of the game slowing down and realizing what does and doesn't work and what needs scrapped and what needs improved.

Age is experience, reps.  College reps, pro reps, reps preparing for a defense, practice reps, etc.  

Does it matter? I think it should/does. 

Hogan has had 14 months of the playbook, professional coaching, a season of running the scout team and an offseason to work on what his rookie year taught him was lacking.

You're being purposefully ridiculous about this for odd reason...

Archived