Week 1 MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers @ New York Giants

Acgott

We're only going to win around 4 games this year, and this won't be one of them. Our offensive line is too young and inexperienced to deal with a fantastic Steelers defensive front, and the Steelers secondary is going to give Jones a million different looks, which will only confuse him more as a young QB in a brand new offense after a shortened offseason. We just won't score enough points to win this one.

My hope for this game, like the rest of the games this year, is that we are competitive and disciplined. I cannot go another season watching players give up and wide receivers running wide open all game, every game because DBs don't know where they are supposed to be. If JuJu or Diontae Johnson torch Ballentine in man coverage, not because he isn't in the right place because he isn't talented or ready enough to cover them, so be it. If Andrew Thomas gets bullied a few times and gives up some QB hits and pressures, so be it. But if JuJu is wide open in the middle of the field because someone blew their assignment, or Thomas is getting bullied all game and there aren't adjustments made to help him, or linebackers start running out of their gap responsibility at the snap, or we are missing tackles, I'm going to be truly upset. That was what we saw last season and it is truly awful. I can take watching my team struggle because they aren't as talented as other teams. But watching an undisciplined, not physical, not ready football team just breaks me. We'll get to see if Joe Judge taught the right things this offseason and if he is up to the task.

• Like 2

Cant and really not too enthused about this opening game. That Steelers defence has elite written all over it. TJ Watt truly was the best defensive player in the game last year and was snubbed DPOY and Bud Dupree had a breakout season. And we've not even mentioned their up and comer in Devin Bush and possibly a top 5 secondary. Really just wanna see... are we a better team then we have been in past seasons.

Edited by Giants4eva
  • Like 1

I don't feel particularly optimistic about this game or this season either.  7-9 is like a best case scenario.  5-11 is probably more realistic.  We would really need a few breakout players for anything different. 

1. Daniel Jones needs to get the fumbles under control.  He fumbled at the highest rate per dropback of any QB in the past 5 seasons, by a comfortable margin.  Not coincidentally, he was also hit at one of the highest rates in that time period.  Part of the blame is on the o-line, part of it is he needs to speed up the processing and get rid of the ball quicker.  In general, he needs to limit bad plays.  He didn't have a high INT rate, but according to some subjective sources (PFF), he led the league in turnover worthy plays.
  2. Andrew Thomas needs to be an instant upgrade to what we've had at LT over the past... well... since that one good year Will Beatty had.  This feeds back to point #1 about keeping Jones clean.  The O-line in general needs to be better at both run and pass blocking than it was a year ago.
  3. One of Lorenzo Carter / Oshane Ximines needs to become a legitimate threat as a passrusher.  The days of a fearsome Giants D-line seem far in the rear view mirror.  These guys need to get pressure and help out the secondary.
  4. Julian Love / Darnay Holmes need to hold their own in the secondary.  Two young guys that the Giants will need to rely on with the exit of Baker and injury to McKinney.  Hard to imagine the secondary being worse than last year, but we have to rely on two fourth rounders holding their own.  Not Ideal.

On the positive side:

• I like the D-line with Lawrence, Williams, Tomlinson
  • DJ has 4 proven targets to throw to
  • Saquon is a supremely talented back (though he needs to limit the negative plays)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Gmen said:

On the positive side:

• I like the D-line with Lawrence, Williams, Tomlinson
  • DJ has 4 proven targets to throw to
  • Saquon is a supremely talented back (though he needs to limit the negative plays)

Unfortunately, all of these were true last year and we still sucked! But yeah, I'm in agreement. Essentially multiple players need to make a jump for us to be competitive. We may steal a game or two that we shouldn't win but we're in the 4-6 win territory.

• Like 1

Good Day New York Football Giants Nation! 

I am excited for the start of the season and would like to provide an opinion of the game from the Steelers perspective.

NYG On Offense: The obvious would be to try to establish the run with Saquaan and then use play action pass to extend drives and dominate TOP .   Winning on first downs early will be key. Last year, teams had success running the ball consistently (attempts) versus the Steelers defense. Teams also had a distinct advantage in TOP with the Steelers offense a bit bogged down with no Big Ben. Teams ran fairly well in part because the Steelers played some teams with very strong rushing attacks (Patriots, Ravens, Colts, 49'ers, Rams and Bills) and there was also no Stephan Tuitt on the Steelers DL. He is a vital cog to the defense and the team chose to essentially pay and keep Tuitt over Javon Hargraves.  Tuitt was arguably the Steelers best defensive lineman before getting hurt. That is saying something because the team also have Cam Heyward who is also a dominant interior DL. While I think this can be a great strategy, I am not sure it is going to be able to be executed as well. No pre-season and typically defenses are a little ahead of the offenses. 

Where the Steelers can be attacked and are susceptible is with some two TE sets. I would attack with short and intermediate passes to Engram and Kaden Smith. Using the pass to set up the run may be the route to go, but you can't sit back in the pocket. Using the same approach that the Patriots typically employ against the Steelers would help. Jones passing short, quick, and accurately will probably give the Giants offense its best success. You have to be patient. Teams stumble against the Steelers when they try to do too much. The sacks, strip fumbles, and INT's will come when teams try to force the issue. Possess the ball and try to keep the  Steelers defense on the field s long as you can. Grind out first downs even if you don't score. Flip the field and make the Steelers offense have to drive a long field. This is what the Jets and Bills did in key late season must win games for the Steelers that they actually lost.

NYG on defense: The Steelers offense turned the ball over in every football game in 2019. Sixteen games and at least sixteen turnovers. Big Ben has typically been a slow starter. Although, I do not think that will be the case in 2020. Because there was no preseason, Ben worked a lot more during preseason than what he has in probably the past five or six years.  James Connor and Ju Ju Smith-Schuster have something to prove as well. I think Pittsburgh will try to establish the run. This may bode well for the Giants as your interior DL is stout with Williams, Tomlinson, Hill and Johnson. The Steelers may try to counter attack running off tackle right towards Zach Banner and using Chuks Okaford as an extra TE.

If the Steelers have success running early  it can be a tough day for the Giants. I think they will also  vary their attack with double TE's (Vance and Eric Ebron) and utilizing athletic freak rookie Chase Claypool for specialty plays. Again, Ju Ju can hurt you and Dionte Johnson and James Washington can create some mis-matches in the secondary. The Steelers have shown they will make some mental mistakes. Be opportunistic and hopefully you can get a tipped ball or fumble to help the Giants offense out. Hope that Ben has a slow start and bad game as he did in 2017, 2018, and 2019.  

The Steelers have not played consistent complementary football in a long time. Either the offense was explosive and the defense was bad or vice versa was the case in 2019. This year, the Steelers look to be a more balanced team. They have a very good defense that can be great if the offense does its part to finish drives, convert turnovers and field position. I think that Ben will be the key and difference. This Steelers team can shock some people, but they have to take it one week at a time. 

The Steelers are and probably should be favored to win, but they have to execute on the field. With no preseason, some of the teams patterns and tendencies, it won't be an easy game. Many of us see it close early and maybe the defense making a big play to set the offense up and put it out of reach late. I predicted 27-17 Steelers win. Feel free to take a look at our gameday thread and comments for insight from our view. I hope this helps with some additional information.

Good luck and Steelers Nation wishes Giants Nation the best. 

• Like 2

On 9/10/2020 at 11:23 AM, minutemancl said:

We're only going to win around 4 games this year, and this won't be one of them. Our offensive line is too young and inexperienced to deal with a fantastic Steelers defensive front, and the Steelers secondary is going to give Jones a million different looks, which will only confuse him more as a young QB in a brand new offense after a shortened offseason. We just won't score enough points to win this one.

My hope for this game, like the rest of the games this year, is that we are competitive and disciplined. I cannot go another season watching players give up and wide receivers running wide open all game, every game because DBs don't know where they are supposed to be. If JuJu or Diontae Johnson torch Ballentine in man coverage, not because he isn't in the right place because he isn't talented or ready enough to cover them, so be it. If Andrew Thomas gets bullied a few times and gives up some QB hits and pressures, so be it. But if JuJu is wide open in the middle of the field because someone blew their assignment, or Thomas is getting bullied all game and there aren't adjustments made to help him, or linebackers start running out of their gap responsibility at the snap, or we are missing tackles, I'm going to be truly upset. That was what we saw last season and it is truly awful. I can take watching my team struggle because they aren't as talented as other teams. But watching an undisciplined, not physical, not ready football team just breaks me. We'll get to see if Joe Judge taught the right things this offseason and if he is up to the task.

I would be very surprised if there was not blown coverage and all the other stuff you listed. Rookie head coach that due to Covid-19 did not get the chance to spend as much time with the players as he should have. New defensive and offensive system and no preseason game to work out the kinks.  I of course hope we play will and want us to win, I am just not expecting it for this game. I am very interested in the coaching done on the field. Does Judge not waste his challenge flags, is he good or bad with clock management. Are the offensive and defensive coaches at least putting our players in the right position and formation to make plays.

I'm optimistic about the Giants now for the same reason I was last year: they have a lot of talent. Unfortunately most of it was diluted by injuries, inexperience, and poor coaching. I'm rooting for the new staff to get the most out of what they have. Pittsburgh is a very stiff test to begin the season, but it's not insurmountable. 

2 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

I'm optimistic about the Giants now for the same reason I was last year: they have a lot of talent. Unfortunately most of it was diluted by injuries, inexperience, and poor coaching.  

A lot of talent? On defense we  have a good defensive line, it is not elite. We are below average at linebacker and below average in the secondary. On offense our running back is great, while I like Daniel Jones it is still to early for me to say what he is just yet. Our offensive line might be average, same with our wideouts. Evan Ingram could be a great tight but he is never healthy. 

Does the team have several good players, yes, a lot of talent, I just don't see it.

Gameday boys. Lets see how we fair tonight. All i wanna see is.. Are we a better team under JJ than Shurmur. Do we see signs of this young squad buying into what he is selling. That goes for him and the rest of the new coaching staff as well. Im hoping Andrew Thomas shows us why he was the 4th overall pick. I was very high on him and Tristan Wirfs in this past draft class. Hoping to see that DJ has improved his fumbling issues because hes gonna be under a metric ton of pressure tonight by that Steeler D. And also do we see DJ tonight with a full WR cast? Not sure if they are gonna play Tate tonight but its wait and see at this point. Probably the biggest question mark on this team is the defense. They were absolutely horrendous last year. I think they are gonna have the biggest amount to prove as a unit tonight more than anybody else on this team. 

Edited by Giants4eva
  • Like 1

What I'm looking for tonight specifically: 

-offensive play calling, specifically on first down. If I see a run up the gut on first down multiple times...

-Jones pocket presence

-Andrew Thomas

-the entire defense. The scheme, the team speed, the effort, the personnel, everything. I want to see a high effort, fundamentally sound, smart defense. Ill take guys getting beat one on one for now. I dont want to see blown assignments.