TABT: Around the NFL

JAF-N72EX

12 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

For any of you were hoping he'd he seeing ghosts in blue and orange: Darn!

That's a MUCH better deal for Darnold than I would have dreamed possible.

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Weird move from the Panthers...not sure Darnold gives you a better chance of winning than Teddy.

Bridgewater's a finished product. The hope is that Darnold is not.

6 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Agreed RE: weirdness.  They must really think no QBs are getting out of the first 7 picks alive. 

Totally. I bet Denver and Carolina got in a bidding war for one of the picks (probably Detroit's), OR maybe they were able to figure out Atlanta and Detroit are both going QB. Although that would be a really stupid move for either of those teams. 

8 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Agreed RE: weirdness.  They must really think no QBs are getting out of the first 7 picks alive. 

Or they aren’t as enamored with any of the guys who might make it to 8 when compared to Darnold paired with, say, Slater/Sewell or Waddle at pick 8. 

Bridgewater out played Darnold in Jets camp and now he gets picked up in Carolina. LOL

Garropolo (sp?) pissed at 49ers.    Sure Bridgewater is pissed.  Rodgers was pissed last year.  Ben R. Was pissed when they drafted a QB in 3rd a few years back.  Brady was pissed about Garropolo . 

But if you have a brain you have to see these things coming.  

You play bad or get hurt a lot what do you expect a team to do?  You get in your mid 30s and/or cost too much you have to find replacements.   

I am going to go on record that Darnold will do okay in Carolina if they stay healthy.

I don’t think he is likely as bad as people say.   Just like Mac was in great situation.  He was in awful situation.   

Most people don’t recover from a really bad start to career at QB, but I think it is possible here.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I am going to go on record that Darnold will do okay in Carolina if they stay healthy.

I don’t think he is likely as bad as people say.   Just like Mac was in great situation.  He was in awful situation.   

Most people don’t recover from a really bad start to career at QB, but I think it is possible here.  

Why?  I hear this take a lot and don't quite get it.  What has he shown that makes you think that he will do better in a different situation?  What makes him better than any of the other 1st round draft bust at QB?  Not being argumentative, I'm just curious as to what others see that I'm not seeing.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Why?  I hear this take a lot and don't quite get it.  What has he shown that makes you think that he will do better in a different situation?  What makes him better than any of the other 1st round draft bust at QB?  Not being argumentative, I'm just curious as to what others see that I'm not seeing.

Well, it all depends on how you're coming at the issue. I was one of the folks who were skeptical that Darnold was a sure-fire pick, and wasn't at all surprised when the Browns selected Mayfield. (Of course, I was pretty high on Rosen, too--just so you know I'm not claiming I'm infallible, or anything like that. 😄)

That being said, I do think he has enough natural talent that if you coach him up properly, and surround him with a decent cast, he can win you games. Maybe even big ones. 

He was dealt a bad hand in New York. Plus he was injured, had mono, then there was a worldwide pandemic, etc. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Well, it all depends on how you're coming at the issue. I was one of the folks who were skeptical that Darnold was a sure-fire pick, and wasn't at all surprised when the Browns selected Mayfield. (Of course, I was pretty high on Rosen, too--just so you know I'm not claiming I'm infallible, or anything like that. 😄)

That being said, I do think he has enough natural talent that if you coach him up properly, and surround him with a decent cast, he can win you games. Maybe even big ones. 

He was dealt a bad hand in New York. Plus he was injured, had mono, then there was a worldwide pandemic, etc. 

What's so different from Tru besides experience?

• Like 1

Just now, Bigbear72 said:

What's so different from Tru besides experience?

He has a stronger arm. More highly regarded, coming from a more prominent program (USC vs. UNC). Had more tape. 

Darnold turned the ball over a lot, too--but hasn't displayed quite the puzzling on-the-field behavior that Mitch has. 

I don't know exactly what to tell ya. Darnold got traded, and the team that traded for him picked up his fifth year option. The team that drafted Trubisky declined his fifth year option, and he went off to be a backup for a paltry $2.5 mil/year.

If that isn't a crystal clear picture of how the league views both guys...I don't know what is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

He has a stronger arm. More highly regarded, coming from a more prominent program (USC vs. UNC). Had more tape. 

Darnold turned the ball over a lot, too--but hasn't displayed quite the puzzling on-the-field behavior that Mitch has. 

I don't know exactly what to tell ya. Darnold got traded, and the team that traded for him picked up his fifth year option. The team that drafted Trubisky declined his fifth year option, and he went off to be a backup for a paltry $2.5 mil/year.

If that isn't a crystal clear picture of how the league views both guys...I don't know what is. 

What specifically has Darnold done to say that he is better?  If he is constantly turning the ball over then what does his on the field behavior matter? As far as his 5th year option, did other teams get the opportunity to pick that up?  No, the Bears declined that so that seams to be an invalid argument.

• Like 1

Just now, Bigbear72 said:

What specifically has Darnold done to say that he is better?  If he is constantly turning the ball over then what does his on the field behavior matter? As far as his 5th year option, did other teams get the opportunity to pick that up?  No, the Bears declined that so that seams to be an invalid argument.

I don't understand your point. No one wanted to trade for Mitch. Otherwise, he'd most likely have been traded. That's where the fifth year option comes in.

And by Mitch's "on-the-field behavior"--I mean Haywire Mitch. All the crazy **** we've seen him do. Throw the ball directly  to a defender for no reason. Throw it out of bounds on fourth down. That kind of stuff.