TABT: Around the NFL

JAF-N72EX

On 9/10/2021 at 7:33 PM, soulman said:

Oh no.  I would never do that.  Ryan Pace's drafts have been infallible.....right?  🤣

He's a genius man. Undebatable. 

On 9/11/2021 at 2:16 AM, soulman said:

I can't help but thinking that Mitch was no more prepared to start as a rookie than Prescott was and both would need developing but Prescott would have gotten a year playing behind Cutler while a year later Mitch ended up replacing Glennon.

Turn the page to 2017 and we own the #3 overall pick.

We could still have drafted another QB to compete with Prescott but there would've been no pressure to trade up for Mitch.  In fact we could just as easily have traded down and taken Mahomes or Watson or another position player and gotten picks as opposed to losing them.

Pace was sold on the following class. Trubisky, in particular. 

Yeah...nuts, I know...

3 hours ago, Ty21 said:

For every Prescott you could’ve had, there’s 10 Jimmy Clausens. Hindsight is 20:20

If you need a quarterback, and a good one is available, you DRAFT HIM.

There is no "hindsight" when looking at this situation, here. 

Pace ****ed up. In a rather large way. Just as he ****ed up by not drafting Eason or Hurts in 2020.

And it isn't excusable. In the slightest. 

3 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Man the nfc north sucks so bad 

After one game? 

What you say could be true...but let's wait a few weeks. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ty21 said:

For every Prescott you could’ve had, there’s 10 Jimmy Clausens. Hindsight is 20:20

Two names I hope never to hear again as it relates to Bears QBs are Cade McNown and Jimmy Clausen with a Henry Burris thrown in for good measure.

Come to think of it though there's actually a very long list of Bears QBs I would love to forget.

How in the hell can any one team be so damn bad at drafting QBs.  It almost defies logic.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, soulman said:

Two names I hope never to hear again as it relates to Bears QBs are Cade McNown and Jimmy Clausen with a Henry Burris thrown in for good measure.

Come to think of it though there's actually a very long list of Bears QBs I would love to forget.

How in the hell can any one team be so damn bad at drafting QBs.  It almost defies logic.

The Bears didn't draft Clausen or Burris. 😁

5 hours ago, soulman said:

Cleveland had it just as bad 

21 hours ago, soulman said:

I would have a hard time naming more then two I'd care to remember.

23 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

The Bears didn't draft Clausen or Burris. 😁

I decided to look up QBs drafted since McMahon (1982) in the first 3 rounds.

1987: Jim Harbaugh, No. 26 (Round 1)

1990: Peter Tom Willis, No. 63 (Round 3)

1999: Cade McNown, No. 12 (Round 1)

2003: Rex Grossman, No. 22 (Round 1)

2017: Mitch Trubisky, No. 2 (Round 1)

2021: Justin Fields. No. 11 (Round 1)

It's amazing that a team with such a weak history at QB has refused to take consistent swings over the course of the last 40 years. 😒 Shocking we couldn't get a franchise QB to develop when we were taking stabs at the position every 3-5 years with 4-7th round picks.  /sarcasm

Only McNown started from the beginning of his rookie year. Harbaugh didn't start until his 2nd year for 2 games, PTW til his 3rd year, Grossman until week 15, and Tru during week 5. I don't think early playing time was the issue, finding NFL level talent, taking swings at high end talent in the draft, and coaching ineptitude has been the weak links for the Bears' QB development. When you spend 30 years and the best you've done is Kyle ******* Orton... that's just embarrassing. I've had a lot to say about Pace's moves but at least he had the balls to go back and get the potential franchise QB after he realized his first try was a bust. Now if he can fix the same issue with his HC...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

We should also insert Rick Mirer who was yet another 2nd overall pick who Seattle scammed.....uh traded to us in exchange for our 1997 1st round pick.  This guy sucked so badly in Seattle yet McCaskey gave up the #12 overall pick in the 1997 draft for him.

He complete just 51% of his passes for 0 TDs and 6 Interceptions.  Such a stellar trade.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, soulman said:

We should also insert Rick Mirer who was yet another 2nd overall pick who Seattle scammed.....uh traded to us in exchange for our 1997 1st round pick.  This guy sucked so badly in Seattle yet McCaskey gave up the #12 overall pick in the 1997 draft for him.

He complete just 51% of his passes for 0 TDs and 6 Interceptions.  Such a stellar trade.

Fml I forgot about that. Or blacked it out.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sugashane said:

It's amazing that a team with such a weak history at QB has refused to take consistent swings over the course of the last 40 years. 😒 Shocking we couldn't get a franchise QB to develop when we were taking stabs at the position every 3-5 years with 4-7th round picks.  /sarcasm

Only McNown started from the beginning of his rookie year. Harbaugh didn't start until his 2nd year for 2 games, PTW til his 3rd year, Grossman until week 15, and Tru during week 5. I don't think early playing time was the issue, finding NFL level talent, taking swings at high end talent in the draft, and coaching ineptitude has been the weak links for the Bears' QB development. When you spend 30 years and the best you've done is Kyle ******* Orton... that's just embarrassing. I've had a lot to say about Pace's moves but at least he had the balls to go back and get the potential franchise QB after he realized his first try was a bust. Now if he can fix the same issue with his HC...

I think traditional Bears football plays a role. By intent or not, the team seems to end up with a decent defense and run game, which probably won't win you many modern playoff games but also won't win top draft position. Always wanted to research that idea and see if there was a statistical basis, but am also really lazy. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Only McNown started from the beginning of his rookie year.

Even McNown did not start right away. He played sparingly behind Shane Matthews (lol) until Matthews was hurt in Week 5.

15 hours ago, Sugashane said:

This has always been my take as well. The Bears' problem isn't that they don't develop QBs correctly or that their fans are too harsh. The Bears' problem is that they don't draft enough QBs. Even Pace should have brought in a developmental prospect 2 years ago when it became clear that Trubisky wasn't a franchise starter.

The Bears franchise has an aversion to losing embarrassingly. They'd rather lose every game 24-17 than go through a rebuilding season evaluating a young QB. Many decisions are framed pessimistically, with the idea that "we could do worse" dominating the franchise's thinking and preventing it from reaching higher.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Even McNown did not start right away. He played sparingly behind Shane Matthews (lol) until Matthews was hurt in Week 5.

This has always been my take as well. The Bears' problem isn't that they don't develop QBs correctly or that their fans are too harsh. The Bears' problem is that they don't draft enough QBs. Even Pace should have brought in a developmental prospect 2 years ago when it became clear that Trubisky wasn't a franchise starter.

The Bears franchise has an aversion to losing embarrassingly. They'd rather lose every game 24-17 than go through a rebuilding season evaluating a young QB. Many decisions are framed pessimistically, with the idea that "we could do worse" dominating the franchise's thinking and preventing it from reaching higher.

Ah, I stand corrected then. I thought he was the starter and they just did the Fox/Tru run run pass system.  

Exactly. The Bears likely have done a poor job at developing QBs, but you HAVE to be able to recognize when you missed in the draft with one. If you're finishing their 3rd year and youre not sure you have a franchise QB, draft a new one and try again. If Pace nails the Fields pick and he gets 15 years from him then Tru becomes little more than a bad memory. 

That's true and I hate it. I understand not wanting to be blown out, especially with coaches and GMs being in the hot seat. But when youre watching Favre and Rodgers own your division year in and year out sometimes you need to say hell with it and do a full reset. Pace did it and I applaud that, had he nailed the QB with Mahomes or Watson (barring legal issues that have come up) then this talk is about how fantastic he has done and resetting around the franchise guy rather than "Fire Pace and Nagy."