TABT: Around the NFL

JAF-N72EX

1 minute ago, CBears019 said:

Jets released RB Le'Veon Bell today after failing to find a trade suitor for him.  I think its worth discussing if you think the Bears should kick the tires on him.  Allbright thinks the Bears will be interested, but the way his tweet reads it sounds more like his personal opinion and not info from a source.

Meh. He's probably JAG at this point, but can't hurt for vet min.

• Like 1

I'll be surprised if Bell wants to sign with Bears..or if they're even interested..

He's going to want to go to a team that will give him the best chance to re-up his value for free agency.

My money is on the Patriots.

Also the Bears O is not very  committed to the ground game nor do they run the ball particularly well when they try. Doubt Bell changes that by himself but I wouldn't hate it if they signed him.

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I'll be surprised if Bell wants to sign with Bears..or if they're even interested..

He's going to want to go to a team that will give him the best chance to re-up his value for free agency.

My money is on the Patriots.

Also the Bears O is not very  committed to the ground game nor do they run the ball particularly well when they try. Doubt Bell changes that by himself but I wouldn't hate it if they signed him.

I don't think the Patriots problem is running the ball. I wouldn't be bringing him in here to be a focal point in running the ball either. He needs to be used in the passing game. When he was a free agent weren't the Bears interested at one point? 

12 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

I don't think the Patriots problem is running the ball. I wouldn't be bringing him in here to be a focal point in running the ball either. He needs to be used in the passing game. When he was a free agent weren't the Bears interested at one point? 

I doubt Patriots or Bears take him.   Patriots don't have Brady and going to win not matter what rep anymore that quashes most potential cancers.

Nobody wants an outspoken guy causing division.   Even if it isn't true and he wouldn't.  They don't even want to take chance.  That's just football right or wrong.

Once a coach loses locker room he is instantly fired, even in season.  So they don't want any guys that may rebel unless they are 100% secure for foreseeable future AND guy is uber talented.   Also margin for error is so slight for most teams that any kind of distraction is super annoying to a coach.

27 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I don't see the appeal for Bell. He is after money, and we have a trash OL and mediocre QBs. If he is going to take a one-year deal to try and boost his value, Chicago isn't the place to do it. 

This is what I'm thinking. It's not like Nagy uses RB's effectively anyway. He'd likely be a waste of a signing.

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I don't see the appeal for Bell. He is after money, and we have a trash OL and mediocre QBs. If he is going to take a one-year deal to try and boost his value, Chicago isn't the place to do it. 

We seen what he can do with a trash OL and poor QB play with the Jets and it was not pretty. Granted that was an extreme case (Jets have been that bad) and he still made some plays for them, but it's still a far cry from his Steelers days.  I don't see the same level of patience in the backfield either that helped make him so special. Now that could be a attributed to the play-calling and surrounding cast too so...

All in all, Bell will be 29 years old in 4 months and we all know the 30 wall for Rb's.  I think Bell could still be a contributor with the right team and right pieces in place but we aren't one of them. 

All that aside, I would be SHOCKED if Pace took a chance on him.  Pace strays away from players with bad character and the way Bell handle the Steelers situation painted a bad picture of him.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

This is what I'm thinking. It's not like Nagy uses RB's effectively anyway. He'd likely be a waste of a signing.

I can't believe I'm going to defend Nagy here but I am. 

With Cohen last year I agree, in a way, but in Nagy's defense the run game was efficient this year until Cohen went down. He was actually using Monty and Cohen well to compliment each others skill-sets and Patterson is no Cohen as a pass catcher out of the backfield (or even as a route runner) so that hinders Nagy's play-calls too. 

So, while I agree that there have been times in the past that Nagy has misused RB's (Cohen last year), he has also been put in some pretty bad situations that were caused from unforeseen things that were out of his control. He's just trying to work with what he has.

He's also never had a true 3 down back either, which is the type of the RB he needs for his system to work. Especially in THIS offense where the QBs can't be counted on. He needs a reliable back with explosiveness who can contribute in all facets---run between the tackles, run outside, can catch, run short routes, and be atleast adequate in picking up blitzes and chip blocks. 

He's never had that. 

He has been stuck with Jordan Howard who had stone hands and couldn't run routes, an undersized Cohen who can't block or pose a threat between the tackles, and Monty who is solid at all phases, except route running, but not spectacular at anything or explosiveness enough on outside runs. 

And the most frustrating thing about all of this is that Nagy COULD'VE had that type of back if Pace would've pulled the trigger on Kareem Hunt like I wanted him too. 

Our backfield would've been one of the deepest and most versatile groups in the league with; Hunt, Monty, Cohen , and Patterson. And would've came at a cheap cost--4M this year, 5M next year, and 6M in the third year (not including incentives which are very low). 

But hey, ignore talent because a young kid makes a mistake.

• Like 1

I agree with the above, but Kareem Hunt and Monty are pretty comparable speed wise.

The Etienne kid on Clemson coming out next year though, is looking like a perfect back for this system..... Not quite McCaffrey level as a pass catcher, but imo a better actual running back.  Basically a Matt Forte with the speed enough to actually hit a home run, which would be a DAMN good RB for this team/system.

If we can't get our hands on a QB, Etienne in 1 then QB/OL/OL/ILB with the next 4 picks.

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

I agree with the above, but Kareem Hunt and Monty are pretty comparable speed wise.

The Etienne kid on Clemson coming out next year though, is looking like a perfect back for this system..... Not quite McCaffrey level as a pass catcher, but imo a better actual running back.  Basically a Matt Forte with the speed enough to actually hit a home run, which would be a DAMN good RB for this team/system.

If we can't get our hands on a QB, Etienne in 1 then QB/OL/OL/ILB with the next 4 picks.

I'm not doubting your talent evaluation, but officially pre-register me for losing my mind if the Bears draft an RB in round one.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Epyon said:

On a track they may have same speed.  On grass in pads Hunt runs north faster and reaches top speed quicker.

Monty has strength of a bull though and is harder to bring down.  Hunt is better overall back and one of best backs in league currently.  Not a slight on Monty.   

• Like 1