NFL General Discussion

candyman93

I know I mentioned this a little while back, but it was confirmed in a meeting today. We are having Ray Farmer for a corporate speaking engagement Sponsored the Black Professional Forum (BPF) resource group at the company I work for, and I will be providing the official Greeting and Introduction of the Speaker LOL.

I always liked Ray.....

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I know I mentioned this a little while back, but it was confirmed in a meeting today. We are having Ray Farmer for a corporate speaking engagement Sponsored the Black Professional Forum (BPF) resource group at the company I work for, and I will be providing the official Greeting and Introduction of the Speaker LOL.

I always liked Ray.....

I’m not sure if there’s a man not named Jimmy Haslam that set this organization back further than Ray Farmer.

Gilbert, JFF (even giving him a pass for that mess), Erving and Shelton in the first round?  

JFC a blind, drunk toddler throwing darts at a board could have done better than that….

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not sure if there’s a man not named Jimmy Haslam that set this organization back further than Ray Farmer.

Gilbert, JFF (even giving him a pass for that mess), Erving and Shelton in the first round?  

JFC a blind, drunk toddler throwing darts at a board could have done better than that….

You can still like a guy that failed.

Shelton was an okay pick, as was JFF in my opinion. It didn't work out but it could have. Not sure what we were thinking with Gilbert. Erving should have been better than he was, probably still overdrafted a bit but he shouldn't have been that lost/weak, not sure how he was that bad. Look at his scouting report:

Strengths:

• Superb athletic skill set for a center
  • Quick interior lineman
  • Strong; can move blockers at the point of attack
  • Can single-block defensive tackles in pass protection
  • Very fast to the second level
  • Agile
  • Plays with excellent technique
  • Pad level
  • Good balance
  • Snaps the ball with good velocity
  • Can match up on speed rushers
  • Anchors well against bull rushers
  • Effective in double-teams
  • Pulls well
  • Makes impact blocks on the second level to spring running backs
  • Scheme versatile
  • Conditioning
  • Experienced
  • Intelligent
  • Work ethic

Weaknesses:

• A little stiff
  • Shouldn't play left tackle in the NFL
  • Back injury cost him 2010 season

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

You can still like a guy that failed.

Fair point.

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Shelton was an okay pick, as was JFF in my opinion. It didn't work out but it could have. Not sure what we were thinking with Gilbert. Erving should have been better than he was, probably still overdrafted a bit but he shouldn't have been that lost/weak, not sure how he was that bad. Look at his scouting report:

Strengths:

• Superb athletic skill set for a center
  • Quick interior lineman
  • Strong; can move blockers at the point of attack
  • Can single-block defensive tackles in pass protection
  • Very fast to the second level
  • Agile
  • Plays with excellent technique
  • Pad level
  • Good balance
  • Snaps the ball with good velocity
  • Can match up on speed rushers
  • Anchors well against bull rushers
  • Effective in double-teams
  • Pulls well
  • Makes impact blocks on the second level to spring running backs
  • Scheme versatile
  • Conditioning
  • Experienced
  • Intelligent
  • Work ethic

Weaknesses:

• A little stiff
  • Shouldn't play left tackle in the NFL
  • Back injury cost him 2010 season

I hate even entertaining a discussion that defends those turd picks.

He drafted 3 guys in the top 25 (QB aside) who were either complete busts or replacement level players at best, elsewhere.

Gilbert was out of the league after 3 years and 2 teams.  The next 9 picks have all made the pro bowl.

Shelton was a run stopping DT with zero pass rush upside.  That’s a day 3 pick. Unless he was Casey Hampton, that was a bad pick from the jump. There was never even the potential for a middling 3 down player.

Erving was a replacement level OL.  He was roughly Chris Hubbard tbh.

JFF was a drunk and everyone apparently knew it but us.  The talent was clearly there, but after hearing what has come out after the fact, he had no business being drafted.

I get rationalizing the picks when they happen, I did too on some of these guys (JFF especially), but after the fact??

2 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I always liked Ray.....

Stay away from texting the HC in the middle of a game jokes, or about how you spent $100K on a software program to find the perfect keynote speaker, but instead some homeless guy said to pick Ray Farmer, or in order to get community feedback, you had them livestream DP in the facility to the rest of the employees thinking it would be Dawg Pound.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

we missed out on like OBJ, Mike Evans, Aaron Donald, and Khalil Mack in 2014 as well as Carr and Garoppolo.

he made one great pick, Bitonio and a couple of ok picks in Kirksey and Duke. 

36 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

we missed out on like OBJ, Mike Evans, Aaron Donald, and Khalil Mack in 2014 as well as Carr and Garoppolo.

he made one great pick, Bitonio and a couple of ok picks in Kirksey and Duke. 

My defense to him is Gilbert and Manziel seemed like they werent his pick and got overruled or he made them because that’s clearly who Pet and Haslam wanted. The other picks and even his UDFAs produced quality players 

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That’s a great icebreaker of an introduction

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get rationalizing the picks when they happen, I did too on some of these guys (JFF especially), but after the fact??

I wasn't talking about after the fact. After the fact we know those picks would, and did, get the GM fired. Deservedly so. I don't think JFF was a bad pick at the time. I didn't understand the Gilbert pick so yeah that seemed and was bad. I didn't like the Cam pick but no one thought he'd be as bad as he was. Shelton was overdrafted but we were expecting a pass rush from him. He had 9 sacks and 17 TFL as a senior it wasn't like he was projected to be solely a run stuffer. But yeah, after the fact they all sucked and he deserved to be fired....and here we are.

41 minutes ago, buno67 said:

My defense to him is Gilbert and Manziel seemed like they werent his pick and got overruled or he made them because that’s clearly who Pet and Haslam wanted. The other picks and even his UDFAs produced quality players 

I agree, but st tome point you have to own the room, not having done any character study on gilbert, you have to own that situation. The udfa class was attributed to the work of our then receivers coach. 

He scouted both kwan and taylor gabriel. 

10 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I agree, but st tome point you have to own the room, not having done any character study on gilbert, you have to own that situation. The udfa class was attributed to the work of our then receivers coach. 

He scouted both kwan and taylor gabriel. 

That was his first draft and prolly really wanted to appease the HC and Owner.  Again the character issues and not doing the background work on a guy who was clearly a projected 1st Rd pick, screams like something and forced his hand.

10 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Ughhhhj can you imagine if we had Aaron Donald Myles an JD 🤤🤤🤤

If we had Donald we don’t get garrett