NFL General Discussion

candyman93

52 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

Deshaun...erm, excuse me, Leshaun better step up and get to the level he was at with HOU this season or we have no chance. This conference is absolutely stacked with pro-bowl caliber QBs. I'm thinking we need to win the25 division to get into the playoffs.

Even if he does that we are sunk.

We still have no defensive line.

A 25 to 32 level linebackers core.

Wide receivers go look at the playoff teams then look where we are right now.

Tuesday Morning Dog GIF by Sealed With A GIF

10 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Even if he does that we are sunk.

We still have no defensive line.

A 25 to 32 level linebackers core.

Wide receivers go look at the playoff teams then look where we are right now.

Tuesday Morning Dog GIF by Sealed With A GIF

Our DL is good. Our LBs are slightly below average. Our WRs are average at worst, with the potential to be better than that.

We have plenty of talent. If Deshaun produces, this team is gonna be a nightmare to stop. If not, yeah we’re screwed.

We have a top 5 roster on paper when evaluating pure talent. Still very much believe that. Our QB play needs to stabilize and we need a competent DC, which I think we will have both now. 

10 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Our DL is good. Our LBs are slightly below average. Our WRs are average at worst, with the potential to be better than that.

We have plenty of talent. If Deshaun produces, this team is gonna be a nightmare to stop. If not, yeah we’re screwed.

We have a top 5 roster on paper when evaluating pure talent. Still very much believe that. Our QB play needs to stabilize and we need a competent DC, which I think we will have both now. 

With a 79 rated passer.

Stand by analysis.

There is not 1 team in the playoffs that would trade there wide receiving core fore  the Browns. 

Dl plus or minus 2 sacks from last year.

Linebackers Dqell called us out and said jok was not a starting linebacker. 

I REST MY CASE.

I ALSO BELIEVE DESHAUN PASSING numbers will go down because he will have to play all season against the afc north.

Point 2 we play the nfc west instead of the weakest division. 

Let's make a bet I get Aaron Rodgers you get leshaun I bet you 

Rodgers has more wins then leshaun this year.

29 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Linebackers Dqell called us out and said jok was not a starting linebacker. 

I REST MY CASE.

JOK is a perfectly good outside LB when you have a good traditional LB in the middle who can tackle everything that moves. Which is why I want Capitan Jack from Iowa.

The problem is we had a historically bad DL against the run last year who couldnt stop anything, putting more pressure on the LBs to track ball carriers down once they had a head of steam.....and all our LBs were injured.

If you allow JOK to run, play in space and NOT have to be a point of attack guy--he will be great.

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

JOK is a perfectly good outside LB when you have a good traditional LB in the middle who can tackle everything that moves. Which is why I want Capitan Jack from Iowa.

The problem is we had a historically bad DL against the run last year who couldnt stop anything, putting more pressure on the LBs to track ball carriers down once they had a head of steam.....and all our LBs were injured.

If you allow JOK to run, play in space and NOT have to be a point of attack guy--he will be great.

Yes are you saying the line is substandard yes or no

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yes, the defensive line was the worst in the NFL at stopping the run. Hard for the LBs to look good when every RB the Browns play has a 5 yard runway and wide open hole.

And when we only play 2 of them. And apparently schematically, they played on the inside of down blocks for some reason. For the life of me, idk why we did that, but every LB we had did this…had to be a scheme thing. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yes, the defensive line was the worst in the NFL at stopping the run. Hard for the LBs to look good when every RB the Browns play has a 5 yard runway and wide open hole.

I mean, our resident Eeyore of late @MWil23 mentioned multiple times throughout last season that we were a gap short on run fits schematically last season.

If that was the case that’s a pretty good indicator the issues ran deeper than just who lined up at DT tbh.

I’m not saying DT wasn’t a problem, it was, but I think there can be a notable improvement with just with a scheme change.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

And when we only play 2 of them. And apparently schematically, they played on the inside of down blocks for some reason. For the life of me, idk why we did that, but every LB we had did this…had to be a scheme thing. 

“Yeah. I feel like that was never–the clear issue was not just me playing in the slot. Against Cincinnati, guarding a guy like (WR) Tyler Boyd, guarding guys like that–I have no problem with doing that. I just feel like in certain cases, I was more of a linebacker than a cornerback.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/newsome-presser-surprises-for-right-reasons

This speaks to the scheme issues from last season. Just a recent example.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He is 100% correct. We have JOK for a reason. He allows you to play with 3 LBs more often because he can play in space against some spread looks. Now, that would require us to have a WILL we trust, so we could finally move him to the strong side (multiple WRs). This is 80% of the reason I want to find a WLB in the draft. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

He is 100% correct. We have JOK for a reason. He allows you to play with 3 LBs more often because he can play in space against some spread looks. Now, that would require us to have a WILL we trust, so we could finally move him to the strong side (multiple WRs). This is 80% of the reason I want to find a WLB in the draft. 

The usage is JOK has been one of the more frustrating parts of being a fan watching this team the last few years.

Dude was a linebacker who iirc had the highest pff grade in coverage in the slot in college his final year and there I was watching them play the bengals last season and JOK is trotting off the field on 3rd down for #51 (whoever tf that is).

He’s not a big, in-the-box thumper, no, but he’s exactly what teams should want in a modern linebacker with his ability to play in space and run and chase. And while he’s small, he also hits and is physical, it’s not like he’s some small finesse player.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The usage is JOK has been one of the more frustrating parts of being a fan watching this team the last few years.

Dude was a linebacker who iirc had the highest pff grade in coverage in the slot in college his final year and there I was watching them play the bengals last season and JOK is trotting off the field on 3rd down for #51 (whoever tf that is).

He’s not a big, in-the-box thumper, no, but he’s exactly what teams should want in a modern linebacker with his ability to play in space and run and chase. And while he’s small, he also hits and is physical, it’s not like he’s some small finesse player.

Utter absurdity. There is absolutely zero reason for JOK to be used the way he had been. JOK moving to STAR linebacker is the move. He is as much a WILL linebacker as Jordan Elliot is.

If anything, JOK would be a better fit at MIKE than he was at WILL. MIKE linebackers don't have to take on blockers as much as the WILL backer does, especially against pull schemes. Most schemes are designed to protect the MIKE, not the WILL.

Edited by BetterCallSaul
  • Like 2