NFL General Discussion

candyman93

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

More than that, to me it screamed, "We are drafting these 2 guys" with tunnel vision and not letting the board come to them. Very Browns-esque circa Kamerion Wimbley and a few others that were need based reaches.

To me it screams “we’re gonna hit on both of these picks and get good, productive players” while ignoring the relative value players at those positions provide.  

They can take a punter and kicker today and do the same thing if they like too.

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

More than that, to me it screamed, "We are drafting these 2 guys" with tunnel vision and not letting the board come to them. Very Browns-esque circa Kamerion Wimbley and a few others that were need based reaches.

Yes ngata was a terror.

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I was low on both.

Shelton wasn’t as good as I’d hoped, but was exactly what we all knew he’d be.  A run stuffer with zero pass rush upside.  That’s a day 2 pick at best.

Erving didn’t bother me as much as our plan for developing him.

The reason I hated Erving was because we had Mack still, IIRC. It felt like a waste of a resource, as generally drafting a C in R1 is anyways. Plus, I’m not sure how we didn’t figure out what a turd he was in the pre-draft process. 

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

To me it screams “we’re gonna hit on both of these picks and get good, productive players” while ignoring the relative value players at those positions provide.  

They can take a punter and kicker today and do the same thing if they like too.

I was genuinely stunned at 12 they passed on the consensus #1 WR JSN given it would have added immediate impact to their already potent offense and their WR corps is a disaster post suspensions. It's kinda that "perfect storm" pick they could have had. That or Gonzalez IMO.

I liked the trade back for them early on (shocker, I know) but if they were going to do what they did at 12, they should have just stayed and gotten Bijan, shrugged, and said "He's going to be a stud in this offense".

1 minute ago, BetterCallSaul said:

The reason I hated Erving was because we had Mack still, IIRC. It felt like a waste of a resource, as generally drafting a C in R1 is anyways. Plus, I’m not sure how we didn’t figure out what a turd he was in the pre-draft process. 

I’ll never complain about an elite IOL (if that’s what you’re drafting) as they play every snap and can generally be durable and effective for a long time.

There’s definitely a bit of a lack of positional value for sure though. Ideally guards and centers are day 2 picks unless they’re really elite prospects, which Erving was not.

Just now, MWil23 said:

I was genuinely stunned at 12 they passed on the consensus #1 WR JSN given it would have added immediate impact to their already potent offense and their WR corps is a disaster post suspensions. It's kinda that "perfect storm" pick they could have had. That or Gonzalez IMO.

JSN would have great for sure.

Just now, MWil23 said:

I liked the trade back for them early on (shocker, I know)

same, I thought it was smart as they weren’t taking a DE or QB.

Just now, MWil23 said:

but if they were going to do what they did at 12, they should have just stayed and gotten Bijan, shrugged, and said "He's going to be a stud in this offense".

Bijan or Carter would have made way more sense imo.

1 minute ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I don't fault anyone for taking Bijan. He's the best player in this draft if you don't factor in positional importance. He's going to be a HOF player in my opinion. 

I do and I don't. I think ATL is a darkhorse for the #1 overall pick and they have a pretty lousy roster (bonus points that we lost to them last year).

It has a very NYG and Saquon Barkley vibe to it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I do and I don't. I think ATL is a darkhorse for the #1 overall pick and they have a pretty lousy roster (bonus points that we lost to them last year).

It has a very NYG and Saquon Barkley vibe to it.

This is where I’m at.

I can appreciate they took a highly rated prospect, but how much did they just improve their team? 

I think it also highlights to some degree just why running backs aren’t necessarily worth a top pick.  They had the best ground game in the league and were picking 8th.

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is where I’m at.

I can appreciate they took a highly rated prospect, but how much did they just improve their team? 

I think it also highlights to some degree just why running backs aren’t necessarily worth a top pick.  They had the best ground game in the league and were picking 8th.

And put me firmly in the "to evaluate a young QB you need to give him weapons and an OL" camp. Someone like JSN as a WR or even an EDGE/CB were pretty obvious needs.

If I'm drafting Bijan, I'm a team like Dallas, Philly, Kansas City, Buffalo, or Cincinnati...a dynamic playmaker at a position of need that gives you another dimension.

...not a team that's likely back to the podium early in 2024 if Ridder isn't it. Good luck running the ball down 14+ in 8 or more of your games this year guys.