Jump to content

NFL General Discussion


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Truth, and not like New England was stifling him

You’re right.

 

I was even giving them the benefit of the doubt. Let’s just assume New England was selling out for a Lynch run. There’s plays you can call as an OC to mitigate that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Fantastic trade by the Rams. Stafford makes them contenders.

 

That offensive line still needs help though.

You traded Goff and two1st rd picks. He better be the answer. Thought the Lions won that trade

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

No he doesn’t. Stafford isn’t contender level good. 

When healthy, and combined with that defense, he absolutely is. Like, he's probably in the 9-12 range of best QBs in the league. But we've also never seen him with a top 10 offensive coach. He's worked with, at best, mediocre offensive coaches since he entered the league. Whoever said it up top is right, if they manage to cobble together a solid OL in the offseason, they're going to be really good as a team.

Plus, this is the NFC, you don't have to go through Mahomes. Brady is gonna break down someday soon. Brees is retiring and NO is in cap hell. Pete Carroll is doing Pete Carroll things to the offense in Seattle. Heck, even Rodgers might be looking to get out of GB this year. The path to the SB in the NFC is wide open and going from like the 22nd-26th best QB in Goff to the 9th-12th best QB in Stafford may very well be enough to get them there.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, FGK said:

When healthy, and combined with that defense, he absolutely is. Like, he's probably in the 9-12 range of best QBs in the league. But we've also never seen him with a top 10 offensive coach. He's worked with, at best, mediocre offensive coaches since he entered the league. Whoever said it up top is right, if they manage to cobble together a solid OL in the offseason, they're going to be really good as a team.

Plus, this is the NFC, you don't have to go through Mahomes. Brady is gonna break down someday soon. Brees is retiring and NO is in cap hell. Pete Carroll is doing Pete Carroll things to the offense in Seattle. Heck, even Rodgers might be looking to get out of GB this year. The path to the SB in the NFC is wide open and going from like the 22nd-26th best QB in Goff to the 9th-12th best QB in Stafford may very well be enough to get them there.

If the cap doesn't go down the Rams will still need to clear 40 million in cap space after this trade. They saved 12 on Goff but are due to pay Stafford 20 and were already more than 30 million over the cap for next season.

Stafford is more talented than Goff. It doesn't seem like a great fit to me though but I'd guess McVay has a better idea on that than I do.

I don't like this trade for the Rams. Statistically Stafford and Goff are the same QB. Goff has been in the better situation and Stafford has more talent but I still think you are moving from a top 17 QB to a top 12 QB and that is way too much to give up. Stafford can make all of the throws but he doesn't always make them accurately. I think the Rams will be a little better next year and a contender but they were a contender with Goff. I just don't like the future of the Rams having to dump a lot of salary and not having a 1st round pick to continue building until 2026 or so. 

There are lessons here. If you are paying 90 million in a season to your stud D-Linemam, star CB and QB position things will be tough. We need to figure that out to some degree.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely a great trade for Detroit. Get a couple of first round picks and then some for an aging QB when it's clear they need to totally rebuild. Maybe Goff improves and becomes their franchise QB. If not, they can get rid of him in a year or two.

Feels like a lot for the Rams to give up, but I get it. They're clearly in win now mode, but this trade will prove to be a huge bust if they don't win at least one Super Bowl in the next few years. If they do win one, then it'll be totally worth it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Definitely a great trade for Detroit. Get a couple of first round picks and then some for an aging QB when it's clear they need to totally rebuild. Maybe Goff improves and becomes their franchise QB. If not, they can get rid of him in a year or two.

Feels like a lot for the Rams to give up, but I get it. They're clearly in win now mode, but this trade will prove to be a huge bust if they don't win at least one Super Bowl in the next few years. If they do win one, then it'll be totally worth it.

I agree with you on this DawgX.  I think it is a great deal for the Lions.  They are still in a rebuild mode (taking a moment to check my rearview mirror on 1-31 day), and have brought in a competent QB as a place holder while they rebuild, using the assets that he brought along with him to accelerate that rebuild.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DawgX said:

Definitely a great trade for Detroit. Get a couple of first round picks and then some for an aging QB when it's clear they need to totally rebuild. Maybe Goff improves and becomes their franchise QB. If not, they can get rid of him in a year or two.

Feels like a lot for the Rams to give up, but I get it. They're clearly in win now mode, but this trade will prove to be a huge bust if they don't win at least one Super Bowl in the next few years. If they do win one, then it'll be totally worth it.

Spot on

 

Rams are trying to win now and I can’t fault them for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

There are lessons here. If you are paying 90 million in a season to your stud D-Linemam, star CB and QB position things will be tough. We need to figure that out to some degree.

They really screwed up with Brandin Cooks. Just a bad trade for what they got out of him. When you look at his stats, he’s always been a good WR. However, his cap hit killed them.

Edited by candyman93
Link to post
Share on other sites

Andrew Sendejo straight up for LAR 1st round pick 2030. Take it or leave it Rams. We don’t like him, and you don’t like 1st round draft picks. I’ll play the long game on this one.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...