Video Games News/Buzz thread

thrILL!

17 hours ago, JBURGE said:

For people that spend a lot of time gaming, and get games when they release (me), the new PS+ is absolutely worthless. Sony's strategy around PS+ still doesn't make sense for me. 

Why not both? I use both extensively. The streaming aspect has been kinda nice when I wanna dabble in something I haven't played in a long time. 

3 hours ago, sjfja_fkdldjs said:

the gameplay looks absolutely horrid lol.

I mean, if youre comparing it to major triple A titles, yeah.     But for a simple indy game that costs less than $20 (which is what Im guessing it is)?    It looks decent.   Simple, but decent.     Not saying it looks special or anything, but if I heard good things about it and I was bored, Id throw a few bucks at it....maybe.  😕

32 minutes ago, 43M said:

I mean, if youre comparing it to major triple A titles, yeah.     But for a simple indy game that costs less than $20 (which is what Im guessing it is)?    It looks decent.   Simple, but decent.     Not saying it looks special or anything, but if I heard good things about it and I was bored, Id throw a few bucks at it....maybe.  😕

I should say that when I say horrid, I so just mean absolutely basic. I dunno, for me, it's "easy" to add a unique mechanic that can transform even simplest of gameplays into something interesting and they didn't show anything in the trailer to indicate they tried for anything interesting (their interesting factor will probably be the satire/writing etc). I could be wrong, but as of right now, I think they'd be better off imitating games like Brothers/Limbo where the gameplay is built specifically to be paced rather than difficult so that they world or writing can be the star. And to be fair, they may be doing that. I'm just hesitant with the trailer personally.

Yeah I'm not saying it's going to be GotY type stuff but it at least looks comical and entertaining if you're just looking to mess around for a bit. Like 43 said, an indie game that is very simple. And when I say it's got my attention, I'm simply saying I'll look more into it. Highly doubt I'll ever play it bc my queue is always too long anyway lol

4 hours ago, Norm said:

How much are people getting paid to post viral marketing for this ******* Stray game lol it's everywhere

Edit: holy hell 50k playing on steam right now nvm

I mean, it's a game about playing as a cat lol. There are twitter accounts on whether you can pet animals in games. The internet loves pets, especially cats, so I don't think it's super surprising. The hype will last like a week and die out quickly probably.

7 minutes ago, sjfja_fkdldjs said:

I mean, it's a game about playing as a cat lol. There are twitter accounts on whether you can pet animals in games. The internet loves pets, especially cats, so I don't think it's super surprising. The hype will last like a week and die out quickly probably.

Yeah I said we'll never hear about it after a week this morning elsewhere and obviously cats rake karma. I just NO IDEA that it was that popular in terms of people playing it. 

Also my cat stares at the screen all the time with all sorts of random stuff and now everyone's convinced it's the cat looking at cats on it, but a lot of it probably isn't lol

Saints Row 2 was one of the most fun I’d had playing a video game when it came out. 3 was worse and 4 was actually unplayable for me. I am curious how the reboot feels. It looks very cartoony but “GTA on acid” is a strong descriptor for the series and im considering dipping my toes back in. 

14 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Saints Row 2 was one of the most fun I’d had playing a video game when it came out. 3 was worse and 4 was actually unplayable for me. I am curious how the reboot feels. It looks very cartoony but “GTA on acid” is a strong descriptor for the series and im considering dipping my toes back in. 

Screw Saints Row....I want a Sleeping Dogs sequel!   

Seriously though....SR4 is the only Saints Row I played and it was decent, but forgettable.

20 minutes ago, 43M said:

Screw Saints Row....I want a Sleeping Dogs sequel!   

Seriously though....SR4 is the only Saints Row I played and it was decent, but forgettable.

SR2 I remember being an actual game. 3+4 just seemed like they were trying too hard to goof off and be a meme in itself. 

Id be all for a sleeping dogs sequel. I had a blast with that one. To the point that after finishing it, in real life driving on the right side of the road felt like I was doing something wrong lol. Seems doubtful it gets made though since the developer has been defunct for like a decade now 

• Like 1

Sleeping Dogs 100% needs a sequel (same with Jade Empire).

As for the SR series, I love SR2 and it's my favorite by a good amount, but SR3 is good in it's own right. It's just not the sequel SR2 fans would have wanted. At the same time, SR3's direction is really what it made it stand out from GTA to everyone else. SR4 was just crap IMO lol. The only redeeming quality about the game was that it was fun to fly around lol. It's not BAD obviously, but I'd definitely recommend SR2/3 but would never recommend 4 unless they just absolutely need more SR.

@Ty21Why exactly do you favor SR2? I know there is a fairly large minority that have the same feelings, but I've never really seen why people felt that way. I'm just wondering if it's for similar reasons why I prefer it lol

44 minutes ago, sjfja_fkdldjs said:

@Ty21Why exactly do you favor SR2? I know there is a fairly large minority that have the same feelings, but I've never really seen why people felt that way. I'm just wondering if it's for similar reasons why I prefer it lol

I played it as a teenager so it’s pretty foggy but I remember the games beyond that being a departure from a genuine story. They just started feeling cartoonish and over the top because maybe they became cognizant of the fact they weren’t going to be competitive with a powerhouse like GTA. i just remember 2 taking itself more seriously. I’ve always been a fan of the concept of starting at the bottom and rising to the top.
I do remember enjoying 3 for what it was, just a sandbox screw around kind of game. It’s funny, there was a time in gaming that games were limited and had to be more linear and eventually open world concepts became more a thing where you could screw around and avoid the missions unlike prior games. That was cool then, but now I’m back to really only caring about strength of story. Games boasting about the map size or nonsensical side stuff has no draw to me anymore.